Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs go with another big at RB? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 16, 2011, 01:03:02 AM

Saturday, April 16, 2011
Another Big At Running Back?

Source:  Yardbarker @ FoxSports.com

By now, Buccaneer fans understand General Manager Mark Dominik is very serious about filling every roster spot with a quality football player.  His eye for free agents has been uncanny, resulting in finds like Donald Penn and LeGarrette Blount.

So it's worth the time to take a peek at what happened January 4th, 2011, or, more precisely, what arrived.  January 4th was the day the end-of-season practice squad roster had it's members signed to the offseason roster -- have new surprises arrived?

One big thing that arrived was Rendrick Taylor.  Taylor was signed on May 3rd, 2010, and spent the offseason with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers only to be cut on the final roster countdown after training camp last year.  Obviously, he left a big impression.

Taylor is a 2010 free agent, undrafted out of Clemson.  The 6'2", 265lbs running back was a 5th year senior with a history of injuries in college including a broken wrist in 2005 and a broken arm in 2006.  He missed his entire 4th college season (2008) due to injury.

Nonetheless, the Buccaneers brought Taylor back to the practice squad on December 8th, 2010 and signed him to the current roster on January 4th, 2011.  He fills a void left when Chris Pressley, the only fullback on the Tampa Bay roster at the time, was cut in October 2010 to make room for offensive line promotions as the injuries started to pile up last season.

Can Taylor be a surprise in 2011?  Journeyman Erik Lorig played well at fullback during the second half of last year, but it's still not clear if the Buccaneers would rather use Lorig at tight end or defensive end.  Taylor is the tallest and heaviest runner on the Tampa Bay roster, and the Buccaneers plan to continue to develop their physical running game.

This will be a key offseason for Taylor, making him a story worth watching during the next training camp. If he has worked through his injuries and is healthy again he could be a player which extends the game for others, like Lorig or Earnest Graham, which would make him very valuable to the team.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 16, 2011, 01:34:55 AM

I dont know anything about this guy but I've seen him run once. He was big, ripped, and pretty fast. That'd be scary with him and Blount hah. As soon as this Dline is built we need to get an Oline for our guys. Bucs would be lethal.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 16, 2011, 01:45:02 AM

Buc45

Starter
#3 : April 16, 2011, 01:55:43 AM

I would love to get another big back...sort of like a Barry Foster and Bam Morris backfield... Never been crazy about mini-scat back types... Dunn was a nice exception since he could run inside and pick up the blitz...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 16, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

Sounds good to me.  I have become disillusioned with the smurf backs.  Too fragile.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 16, 2011, 02:53:17 AM

Hes a wildcard. Hes got tons of potential and played all over the place in college. Hes a physical freak, but he is raw. If they can get him coached up, he could be a beast H-back type player. I dont think Lorigs spot is safe either or he could even fill a TE spot. Someone to keep an eye on if they have enough time for a TC if the lockout ever ends.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 16, 2011, 06:43:14 AM

that information on lorig seems incorrect.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 16, 2011, 08:13:15 AM

Kendrick Taylor is made of glass. Nothing but camp fodder.

Lorig looked great last year. He said this off season he has fully embraced the role of FB and spent his time working on his blocking. He also said he got down to 260lbs and feels quicker and more agile than ever before. Im curious how many years it will take for people to consider him a "true FB"

Only big back we are looking at this off season is Allen Bradford.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 16, 2011, 08:36:35 AM

Kendrick Taylor is made of glass. Nothing but camp fodder.

Lorig looked great last year. He said this off season he has fully embraced the role of FB and spent his time working on his blocking. He also said he got down to 260lbs and feels quicker and more agile than ever before. Im curious how many years it will take for people to consider him a "true FB"

Only big back we are looking at this off season is Allen Bradford.

Lorig is going to be our starting fullback this year. He was a difference maker as a lead blocker last year. Taylor may be looked at as a TE/FB combo type of guy but I doubt he'll unseat anyone from a starting job. It is clear that we liked Taylor though in camp.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 16, 2011, 08:40:48 AM

Only Allen Bradford Jdub?

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 16, 2011, 08:50:55 AM

Only Allen Bradford Jdub?

Well he's the only big back im interested in! ;D

Seriously though I remember reading the Bucs set up an interview or workout or something with Bradford. Don't remember details. Just remember I got all excited cause I want us to draft him.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 16, 2011, 09:23:11 AM

You are a funny guy!!!!!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

nick168

Second String

#12 : April 16, 2011, 10:44:23 AM

i wouldn't rule it out yet at 6' 2" 274 lbs he is still young he could develop.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/gnawTdawg/rendricktayloratclemson.jpg
http://media.independentmail.com/media/img/photos/2008/07/19/0720Ladies014_t607.JPG

http://sportinggnomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/rendrick.jpg
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/911/365948.jpg

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 16, 2011, 12:09:27 PM

Taylor is the poster child for "looks like tarzan plays like jane. In his case it's more like "looks like the hulk, plays like Samuel L. Jackson's character in Unbreakable"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 16, 2011, 12:26:57 PM

They SHOULD go after a runner who is a grinder, a la Blount.  But Blount is a homerun hitter.  The man has made many splash plays using agility alone.  Rare for a guy with his size.

But if Blount gets hurt, they need to replace a big with a big, IMO.  Otherwise, the offense gets slightly unbalanced.  Carry two bigs, and one scat back type.  Or third down type (Carnell).

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs go with another big at RB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools