Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the biggest draft bust in Bucs history? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 19, 2011, 02:53:09 AM

How is Bo a bust when he never played for the Bucs?  Bust does not equal never signed so I would vote for Dexta, I mean damn how many times do you draft a yard man or even janitor at McDonalds with a second round pick?  Way to go Gruden and Bruce!!

I don't consider Gaines a bust as he gave us some plays and we still got a second round pick for him so not a bust in my book.

Funny how a DE scored more than a second round WR.

It depends on your definition of bust.

We drafted Bo Jackson in the first round.  As a Buccaneer, he ran for 0 yards, caught 0 passes, and scored 0 touchdowns.  That's a pretty bad investment.

watson

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 19, 2011, 04:40:59 AM

Gaines was #4..... Booker Reese was end of the 2nd.
Hate,
That is true, but don't forget that he cost the Bucs their first round choice the following year and that pick turned out to be Willie Gault. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 19, 2011, 10:29:00 AM

Bo was a bad pick, but not a bust.  His selection was near the top of the worst Buc decisions of all time (there are some coaching hires that were worse), but a bust is all about player evaluation.

Booker Reese was the worst, as I outline here: http://www.betterthanaveragebucsblog.com/2011/03/15/1047/.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#33 : April 19, 2011, 10:50:55 AM

easily booker reece - the no name from Bethune Cookman

btw, wasn't kenyatta walker a disappointment .....as much as gaines adams.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 19, 2011, 10:54:05 AM

Hate,
That is true, but don't forget that he cost the Bucs their first round choice the following year and that pick turned out to be Willie Gault.

Watson, it's worse than that I'm afraid - the Bucs knew that the 1983 draft was loaded when they panicked and traded the number 1. They didn't just miss a chance on Willie Gault, but Darrell Green, Dan Marino and a bunch of other great players.  Plus, it was a total reach!  They should have s--t canned every guy involved in that decision.

One of things I consider when calling a player a bust is this - How many teams would have made the same decision? With Gaines, the number is probably at least 20. With Booker Reese, it's zero.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#35 : April 19, 2011, 11:39:42 AM

One of things I consider when calling a player a bust is this - How many teams would have made the same decision? With Gaines, the number is probably at least 20. With Booker Reese, it's zero.

This is quite a good way to look at it and an angle I hadn't really considered.   I agree with you.    Looking at it that way, Booker Reese was the worst pick ever.    I'd say the trade for Jack Thompson for the first overall pick in the draft was pretty high up there as well.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 19, 2011, 12:57:46 PM

1. Reidel Anthony doesn't belong on this list. Disappointment? Yes. But not top 10.
2. Marquise Walker needs to be high on this list. Why? He was projected to be among the top 10 WRs coming out that year and was coming from a good D-1 school. He didn't even start in the NFL. Not even close to what Anthony did.
3. Yes, the Jack Thompson trade of the first in 1983 was devastating. I'd rank that No. 1 because Marino had a better career than Bo Jackson.
4. Ricky Bell as opposed to Tony Dorsett? Pretty high up.
Let's face it: we've whiffed more than we've hit.

In Verner We Trust

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 19, 2011, 03:21:05 PM

This is quite a good way to look at it and an angle I hadn't really considered.   I agree with you.    Looking at it that way, Booker Reese was the worst pick ever.    I'd say the trade for Jack Thompson for the first overall pick in the draft was pretty high up there as well.

Yeah, when I did a list I avoided traded picks for players but that was one bone-headed decision. Of course had we not given up our pick in '83 so that we could get Reese, we could have had Marino or even Ken O'Brien. Everybody gets stuck on Willie Gault, since that's who the Bears selected, but we could have had Gary Anderson, Joey Browner, Marino, O'Brien, Darrell Green....it was an embarrassment of riches.

The one thing that slightly saves the Thompson move is that the 1984 draft wasn't all that super. Irving Fryer went number 1 that year. Still, could have grabbed Wilbur Marshall.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 19, 2011, 08:25:34 PM

I actually cried when the Bucs traded Steve Young for a 2nd round pick and cash.    That's the only personnel move the team ever made where I felt sick the day they did it.

watson

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 20, 2011, 10:52:20 AM

Hate,

Watson, it's worse than that I'm afraid - the Bucs knew that the 1983 draft was loaded when they panicked and traded the number 1. They didn't just miss a chance on Willie Gault, but Darrell Green, Dan Marino and a bunch of other great players.  Plus, it was a total reach!  They should have s--t canned every guy involved in that decision.

BR,
And don't forget that the scounts that went to watch him work out at BC didn't measure the track and it turned out that he was running on a track that was a couple yards short of 40.  The time that was recorded was no a true 40 time.  And then they get all screwed up in NY and turn in the wrong card.  And you are so right about all the great players that were available in the draft the next year.  Can only imagine what it would have been like to have Marino as the QB.....although the word was that the Bucs liked the QB that the Jets took that year.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 20, 2011, 11:07:17 PM

I would even put Ruud up there as he sucks!!

JDog

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 21, 2011, 09:22:09 AM

3203 posts for Samari and still not one that makes a lick of sense.   This guy obviously knows nothing about Bucs history.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the biggest draft bust in Bucs history? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools