Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sold? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#30 : April 19, 2011, 07:26:59 PM

YES

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 19, 2011, 08:10:30 PM

My take I think Jordan is the most likely to slide outta (3)himself, Kerrigan and Smith. A few media outlets are stating his Senior bowl is being over blown by some to try and cover up his less than elite pass rushing ability! I'm starting to hope he does slide he reminds me of Kevin Carter in his STL/MIA days. If it happens that they are all gone I would take Clayborn was reading somewhere that scouts refer to him as an"one-armed ass kicker" even read somewhere that Scouts believe Clayborn has better pass rush potential than Smith.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 19, 2011, 08:38:49 PM

Everyone wants to rush the passer...yet we had a top.10 pass defense.  We didn't stop the run.  Sacks are sexy, but stopping the run wins games imo.

Your opinion (and it's hilarious I'm saying this) is wrong.

Then ten best run defenses in of the Super Bowl era went, collectively, 102-95-5.  We're talking the best in since 1966, here.  And of the ten, only five made the playoffs.  Only one, the 2000 Ravens, won a Super Bowl (and it's worth noting, that Ravens team had a top-10 passing defense as well).  But even that isn't as bad as the best rushing teams of the Super Bowl era.  The top ten most dominant ground teams went a collective 79-79, with three lousy playoff performances, and no championships to show for it.

For contrast, of the ten best passing teams, nine made the postseason, and three had Super Bowl appearances.  Data on passing defense is a little bit foggy, since the Dead Ball Era lasted until 1977.  But take a look at the Colts -- they went 115-45 last decade, thanks to the most efficient passer in history, and a defense constructed solely to stop the pass.  They've been successful despite their terrible run defense.

It gets lost in all the garbage about factor backs, run it to win it, make them one dimensional, blah blah blah... but the best run defense is a three touchdown lead.  It's important to have balance -- to hand the ball off and keep the defense honest -- but teams that pass the ball well (note that I didn't say 'prolifically') and stop the opposing passer tend to have better results than those who run and stop the run.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 19, 2011, 08:57:20 PM

Best run defense is getting teams off the field on 3rd down.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 19, 2011, 09:54:42 PM

Blaze _ we stopped the passer the last season.  We didn't sack the qb, but we had a top 10 pass def.  While having the number 1 rush def isn't necessary, being dead last isn't helping.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 19, 2011, 10:03:40 PM

Blaze _ we stopped the passer the last season.  We didn't sack the qb, but we had a top 10 pass def.  While having the number 1 rush def isn't necessary, being dead last isn't helping.

Opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.57 rating against us last year, seventh best in the league.  Our passers posted a 96.25 rating, fourth best in the league.  We finished 10-6, despite our 28th rank in rush defense.

The Super Bowl champion Packers?  Third in passer rating, first in passer rating allowed.  18th in rush defense.  24th in rush offense.

I think that pretty much proves my point.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 19, 2011, 10:06:28 PM

Opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.57 rating against us last year, seventh best in the league.  Our passers posted a 96.25 rating, fourth best in the league.  We finished 10-6, despite our 28th rank in rush defense.

The Super Bowl champion Packers?  Third in passer rating, first in passer rating allowed.  18th in rush defense.  24th in rush offense.

The Bucs play Green Bay well.  They can beat them.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 19, 2011, 10:07:10 PM

The Bucs play Green Bay well.  They can beat them.

Huh?

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#38 : April 19, 2011, 10:33:57 PM

Compassion for Boid---alias Default Fisherman.

He spent a long hot day on the water.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 19, 2011, 11:00:43 PM

And the packers would have been on the couch come playoff time had the refs not botched the det game.  I don't think the packers by themselves prove a point.  If so we might as well scrap the 4-3 and get that 3-4 ready.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 19, 2011, 11:30:23 PM

What's the difference between rushing the passer and stopping the passer?

Pull out some old Chris Simms game tapes and you will have your answer.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 20, 2011, 01:40:20 AM

And the packers would have been on the couch come playoff time had the refs not botched the det game.  I don't think the packers by themselves prove a point.  If so we might as well scrap the 4-3 and get that 3-4 ready.

Look at the stats.  This century, it's been all about passing and stopping the pass.  Running the ball becomes more important in the playoffs, but the formula for success has been proven by the league's elite teams.  All of them pass well and stop the pass well.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 20, 2011, 02:28:48 AM

Personally Im sick of seeing 3rd string running back with names im not even familiar with, like chris ivory or something, average like a first down per carry on us. Thats why Im a fan of a DE that is good against both run and pass. Jordan, Watt, Bowers, and Clayborn seem like they can do it. I dont really care for a specialty DE, I just want a good DE period.

Dont forget the DE we get is not going to be working alone. The thing that really excites me is not how good our rookie DE will be but how much better will McCoy and the DTs be while playing with some help. a good end will benefit the whole line which should help people get to the QB.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#43 : April 20, 2011, 02:57:19 AM

Jordan I think will make a great LDE, but i am unsure if he will be the RDE we are all craving. If we get Jordan and somehow manage to get Romeus then I can see Romeus being the RDE and Jordan at LDE.

Looking at all the DEs in this draft the one thing we have to remember is that no matter who we pick, it's going to be a massive upgrade over who we have currently.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 20, 2011, 09:48:53 AM

I'm starting to come around to the idea of draft Jordan on the premise that we go after guys like Moch and Markell Carter later in the draft to provide outside pass rush and we don't expect Jordan to be something he isn't. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sold? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools