Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs host freakish LB Dontay Moch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 20, 2011, 04:15:11 PM

It's interesting seeing how many ways Nevada used Moch in their Bowl game.

red816

Rookie

#16 : April 20, 2011, 04:35:10 PM

How is this guy an exact clone of Quincy Black? I hate how everyone thinks Quincy is supposed to be some sack machine.The guy only had 1 sack his entire time at New Mexico....

Moch on the other hand, yes he is a bit of a project, but this is the type of guy Raheem looks for in his hybrid defense. I would not mind if we got Moch with one of our mid-round picks.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 20, 2011, 04:40:50 PM

How is this guy an exact clone of Quincy Black? I hate how everyone thinks Quincy is supposed to be some sack machine.The guy only had 1 sack his entire time at New Mexico....

Moch on the other hand, yes he is a bit of a project, but this is the type of guy Raheem looks for in his hybrid defense. I would not mind if we got Moch with one of our mid-round picks.

Black racked up a lot of sacks as a DE in junior college before transferring to New Mexico

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 20, 2011, 06:32:23 PM

When I watch Moch I see a guy with ridiculous quickness, speed, and overall athletism. I also see a guy with no instincts. He did well in college by beating college kids with his physical abilities but everyone in the NFL is a great athlete. If you don't have the mental part down you wont translate well at the next level. I think this is the case with Moch.

Comparing Moch to Kerrigan is just silly. Kerrigan uses his natural instincts and endless motor to out work and out think his opponent. Exact opposite of Moch.
Can't the same question be asked of Kerrigan, what happens when everyone in the NFL works really hard and can think?

Working harder and playing smarter is what makes great players great. While all NFL players are great athletes, very few are willing to put in more time than the next guy and work harder than the guy in front of them on every down. It's what makes guys like Peyton Manning, Dieon Sanders, and Jerry Rice special. Being successful in the NFL is about being prepared and executing on Sundays better than your opponent. "Freak" athletism is over rated. The smarter, harder working guys will always win. At least that is what I believe.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 20, 2011, 06:40:20 PM

When I watch Moch I see a guy with ridiculous quickness, speed, and overall athletism. I also see a guy with no instincts. He did well in college by beating college kids with his physical abilities but everyone in the NFL is a great athlete. If you don't have the mental part down you wont translate well at the next level. I think this is the case with Moch.

Comparing Moch to Kerrigan is just silly. Kerrigan uses his natural instincts and endless motor to out work and out think his opponent. Exact opposite of Moch.
Can't the same question be asked of Kerrigan, what happens when everyone in the NFL works really hard and can think?

Working harder and playing smarter is what makes great players great. While all NFL players are great athletes, very few are willing to put in more time than the next guy and work harder than the guy in front of them on every down. It's what makes guys like Peyton Manning, Dieon Sanders, and Jerry Rice special. Being successful in the NFL is about being prepared and executing on Sundays better than your opponent. "Freak" athletism is over rated. The smarter, harder working guys will always win. At least that is what I believe.

Derrick Brooks is a good example. He was athletic and smart. Many thought he would be too small to play LB in the NFL. He made up for it with his smarts and stellar instincts.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#20 : April 20, 2011, 07:24:37 PM

J Doub:  You would probably be comfortable considering that a player that worked hard and applied himself to the mental part of the game and in addition had freakish atheletic ability had a chance in the NFL.

Working hard and delving into the mental part of the game can be inborn. However both can  also be instilled by the coaching staff.

When I watch QB's running, almost in terror, as Moch runs them down...well that kind of speed gets my attention and I presume also gets the attention of the flushed QB.

You know the old bromide...You can't coach speed.

I am not prepared to say Moch can make it in the NFL, but his pure speed is captivating.  Speed like he has in a 242 lb body has to have some strong upside if used properly.

Buc45

Starter
#21 : April 20, 2011, 08:02:41 PM

I think we could use  a "freakish athletic type" like this on our defense!  Also, I can't see anywhere on tape or any analysis that says he does not go 100% on every snap...and that he is not a smart player...  Yeah, Joey Porter and James Harrison are a bunch of rocket scientists!  This guy can play football and has the numbers to back it up... What I like about him is not only his speed but that he is extremely physical for someone who can run like that...

Why has this become a Moch vs Kerrigan thread?  If we drafted Kerrigan in the first and Moch in the second, I would be pumped!   Two highly productive, high motor defenders who can get after the QB...Moch is moving up draft boards and Mayock has him as his one of his highest rated OLBs...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 20, 2011, 08:27:55 PM

Moch in the 2nd?!! Wow. If we did draft the guy I would hope it would at least be in the 3rd or 4th round.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 20, 2011, 08:28:55 PM

Why has this become a Moch vs Kerrigan thread?
Haven't you noticed every single thread becomes about Ryan Kerrigan?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 20, 2011, 08:30:23 PM

Aren't there going to be a lot of guys trying to block Ryan Kerrigan in the NFL who are hard workers, smart, and have great athleticism? I don't think you're going to beat Joe Thomas and D'Brickashaw Ferguson just by trying hard.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 20, 2011, 08:36:33 PM

Moch is an upgrade over our current OLBs.

This visit along with the pletheora of other hybrids Tampa is bringing in shows just how much of an emphasis Morris places on versatility.
: April 20, 2011, 08:39:13 PM SunnyD

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#26 : April 20, 2011, 08:52:21 PM

I think we can all agree that his upside is phenomenal

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 20, 2011, 08:56:16 PM

Maybe I'm just tired of Speedy "finesse" linebackers that can't shed blocks. Moch uses his speed to avoid blocks in college because he lacks the lower body strength and skill to shed the block and beat his man. There is no nastiness there. It's all finesse. Just running fast won't mean anything when he repeatedly gets pancaked by bigger, stronger, and smarter blockers.

I'll take a slower LB like Nate Irving that has natural instincts and will knock the **CENSORED** out of you if you get in his way rather than run around you. If we want to stop being run over by smash mouth teams we need nasty LBs that enjoy contact, not more finesse guys.

All I can say is if we do draft Moch...I hope I am wrong. I hope he ends up having the instincts to be more than just a pass rusher, and I hope he ends up being a very physical guy that like to bang heads and lay down big hits.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 20, 2011, 10:32:59 PM

Maybe I'm just tired of Speedy "finesse" linebackers that can't shed blocks. Moch uses his speed to avoid blocks in college because he lacks the lower body strength and skill to shed the block and beat his man. There is no nastiness there. It's all finesse. Just running fast won't mean anything when he repeatedly gets pancaked by bigger, stronger, and smarter blockers.

He's never been on my list really but I will say that the video posted on the top of this page doesn't totally agree with you. He looks like he's blowing by AND through his blockers. I would also say there looks to be "nastiness" from him but I guess thats more of an opinion.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 20, 2011, 10:56:44 PM

In that video above he's giving the tackles AND Guards fits...  look at his first punch contact...

I'd be ok with the guy in the second, but love to steal him in the third - depending on who's available.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs host freakish LB Dontay Moch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools