Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shaun King rips Gruden......Gruden responds. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 20, 2011, 12:44:49 AM

APRIL 19, 2011

Jon Gruden pushes back against criticism from Shaun King

Former Bucs quarterback and current radio talk show host Shaun King on a recent show expressed disdain for Jon Gruden's ESPN quarterback camp segments.

During the segments, the former Bucs coach schools some of the top quarterback prospects in the draft on their strengths and weaknesses, often pushing them hard to allow him to learn the extent of their football acumen.

But King, who played under Gruden, said Gruden hasn't shown a track record of developing young quarterbacks, thereby making the premise of the show a faulty one.

Today, on an ESPN conference call with reporters, Gruden was asked about the comment and pushed back.

"I agree with Shaun," Gruden said. "I wasnt totally successful in developing all the young quarterbacks. Although, Bobby Hoying and Ty Detmer did okay (when Gruden was the Eagles' offensive coordiantor). Chris Simms helped us win a division title.

"But I did fail miserably in developing Shaun King and Im sorry hell miss our show."

Ouch.

We don't usually get involved in mudslinging, but this seemed like fair game because one of the biggest criticisms of Gruden was his inability to identify and develop a young quarterback as a long-term starter. The truth is, had Gruden done so in Tampa Bay, he might still be coaching here.

.Posted by Stephen Holder

-ts

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 20, 2011, 12:56:12 AM

That might be the funniest thing I have read from Gruden. That is awesome, completely deserved too.

Shaun walked right into that one.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 20, 2011, 01:06:51 AM

When I first read King's statement, I thought of how he was characterized (by who, I can't remember) as a 9-5 QB. In other words, he didn't work too hard at being an NFL QB. Anyone else remember that?

But, boy, Gruden smacked him down.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#3 : April 20, 2011, 01:20:29 AM

Not surprisingly, no other coach developed Shaun King either.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 20, 2011, 01:53:06 AM

Awesome.  King is a joke.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 20, 2011, 02:54:40 AM

Haha I'm glad Gruden did that. What has King ever done?

Well, he was a Bert Emmanuelle pass catch away from leading us to the Superbowl, but the refs (once again) had other ideas that day.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 20, 2011, 04:51:56 AM

Haha I'm glad Gruden did that. What has King ever done?

Well, he was a Bert Emmanuelle pass catch six Gimme possessions started inside Rams territory & 1 HORRIBLE screen pass w/ 8:00 left away from "leading" "accompanying" us to the Superbowl., but the refs (once again) had other ideas that day.

fixed it. 
best fix ever
: April 20, 2011, 04:55:03 AM TheChronicHotAir

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 20, 2011, 08:17:31 AM

So Gruden's answer is that Simms was a success? Good answer. Guy is a such a flippin' fraud.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 20, 2011, 08:27:34 AM

Simms wasn't exactly a "talent".   Gruden developed that guy as much as possible.   After he left the Bucs, he actually regressed.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 20, 2011, 08:36:08 AM

So Gruden's answer is that Simms was a success? Good answer.

I'm surprised others didn't point that out. And Hoying and Detmer are his other examples? Really? Go look up their stats. Hoying had one OK year and Detmer holds the record for 2nd most INTS in a single game - seven.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 20, 2011, 09:02:04 AM

The key is that all of those guys had their best years with Gruden and struggled with other coaches.   Hell, even Luke McCown had his best years under Gruden.   

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 20, 2011, 09:13:38 AM

Simms wasn't exactly a "talent".   Gruden developed that guy as much as possible.   After he left the Bucs, he actually regressed.

Actually he regressed with the Bucs. His worst games were the ones before he got gut busted when Gruden had "prepped" him to be the starter.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#12 : April 20, 2011, 09:25:50 AM

Actually he regressed with the Bucs. His worst games were the ones before he got gut busted when Gruden had "prepped" him to be the starter.

I'll never forget that game at Atlanta when Simms was still starting.  Simms was having a terrible game and Gruden was absolutely going berzerk on the sidelines, swearing and yelling at Chris.  I got a pit in my stomache because Simms looked completely shaken.  Gruden got the kid soo rattled it was suddenly obvious that the kid just didn't have it.  Whether or not Gruden's handling of the kid contributed to that, who can say but it sure was a moment I remember.  I really thought Simms would be solid for us before he actually started playing in  games.  Damm

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 20, 2011, 09:31:23 AM

Gruden got a zinger in, but King brought light to the national media that Gruden has never developed a young QB into even a mid-level starter. He never went after a legitimate QB in any draft either. It basically discredited Gruden on a national level. Thats the ouch.

Gruden told us what we already knew, King pretty much sucked and that Gruden once again couldnt develope a QB.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 20, 2011, 09:54:20 AM

While King may be right about Gruden, his bitterness should be directed elsewhere, because King got benched a year before Gruden even set foot in One Buc Place. King was toast after the 2000 season.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shaun King rips Gruden......Gruden responds. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools