Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shaun King rips Gruden......Gruden responds. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 20, 2011, 12:40:18 PM

Let's see what Gruden does with a young QB with Talent. I'd like to see Gruden try to develop a QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. I think he'd have success.

i dont think we will ever see this.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 20, 2011, 01:03:48 PM

Gruden got a zinger in, but King brought light to the national media that Gruden has never developed a young QB into even a mid-level starter. He never went after a legitimate QB in any draft either. It basically discredited Gruden on a national level. Thats the ouch.

Gruden told us what we already knew, King pretty much sucked and that Gruden once again couldnt develope a QB.

Exactly!!!

While its true that King was fat and lazy, the next young QB that Gruden develops will be his first. How he snowed people into believing he's some type of QB "guru" is beyond me.

Awesome jab by Gruden, but King's point is legit.

-------------------------------------------------------

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 20, 2011, 01:08:51 PM

LOL! Absolutely love this zinger by Gruden. Guy is golden on interviews and playing the public relations game. Doubt King will be wanting to step out and try to take someone to task anytime soon. Stay in your lane, Shaun.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 20, 2011, 01:13:04 PM

Idk, it depends on what situation he goes to when he goes back. I think if he has a say in everything  and see's a QB in the draft he loves I could see it happening.

if gruden returns, i have to assume he will pick a spot with a solid QB already in place.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#34 : April 20, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

Let's see what Gruden does with a young QB with Talent. I'd like to see Gruden try to develop a QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. I think he'd have success.

Of course he would.   He's the best QB coach ever.    He's worked with garbage QB's all his career and still been very successful.   If he had a Peyton Manning, his offense would be unstoppable.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 20, 2011, 01:18:56 PM

i dont think we will ever see this.

Idk, it depends on what situation he goes to when he goes back. I think if he has a say in everything  and see's a QB in the draft he loves I could see it happening.

Like how he loved Rodgers?

-------------------------------------------------------

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 20, 2011, 01:45:39 PM

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you know what. The error that the Gruden-Allen regime made was hubris, thinking they COULD. They never brought in a talent that COULD be developed.
And let's not kid ourselves on Shaun King ''almost making it'' to a Super Bowl. The '99 defense was the third-best Bucs D ever (behind the '79 and 2002 legendary groups). It's not like King really won the Washington playoff game; the defense won that one too.
When Gruden had something to work with, he did well. When he didn't, he got the most out of them, but it wasn't nearly enough to win in the NFL.
Wisely, Raheem and Dom got a QB with talent.
Just look at last year's hilight reel. Freeman made about 50 throws that Simms NEVER made. You can't teach arm strength or poise.
The bad part about King is that after 2000, he didn't work to stay on the same level. Once Brad came, he allowed himself to become a bum.

In Verner We Trust

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 20, 2011, 02:25:55 PM

King made a valid point.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 20, 2011, 03:32:22 PM

It's really a chicken-and-egg argument. If Gannon were younger when Gruden got him does that mean Gruden would have had less success?
Some point to Brad's successes in Minny and Washington as proof that Gruden didn't do much with him. But look at 2001 and then 2002 and see the differences.
It's funny we harp on this because Dungy didn't develop a young OR old QB. And if a QB is already developed when they come into the league, is that a blemish on the head coach? (see Peyton Manning).
What if a guy is good, but then regresses? (Eli). I guess the best developments in recent years were Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers got to ride the pine for three years, though, an extraordinary circumstance. Brady was a diamond in the rough and only got to play by a fluke. But you have to give Beli a lot of credit for what he became.

In Verner We Trust

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 20, 2011, 03:38:00 PM

I was listening when King made the comments and they didn't come across to me as being as harsh as they read in print.  He was just stating something matter of factly.  With that said, I don't think King gets the point of the show as strictly an entertainment entity. Whether we like it or not, he is the network's "coach". Much like Mariucci is on NFLN and, I think to lesser degrees, Dungy and JJ are for their respective networks. Mariucci has done similar things with draftees on NFLN.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 20, 2011, 04:16:01 PM

It's really a chicken-and-egg argument. If Gannon were younger when Gruden got him does that mean Gruden would have had less success?
Some point to Brad's successes in Minny and Washington as proof that Gruden didn't do much with him. But look at 2001 and then 2002 and see the differences.
It's funny we harp on this because Dungy didn't develop a young OR old QB. And if a QB is already developed when they come into the league, is that a blemish on the head coach? (see Peyton Manning).
What if a guy is good, but then regresses? (Eli). I guess the best developments in recent years were Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers got to ride the pine for three years, though, an extraordinary circumstance. Brady was a diamond in the rough and only got to play by a fluke. But you have to give Beli a lot of credit for what he became.

Brad's QB rating in Tampa wasn't materially different from his previous stops in Minnesota and Washington

JDog

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 20, 2011, 04:27:25 PM

Interestingly, Brad won a superbowl with Gruden.    He definitely didn't do that anywhere else.   

Check mate!

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 20, 2011, 04:33:20 PM

Interestingly, Brad won a superbowl with Gruden.    He definitely didn't do that anywhere else.   

Check mate!

Manning won a superbowl with Dungy. He definitly didn't do it with anyone else...

Check Mate Back!! (Just pointing out how stupid of a reply that was from the troll).
: April 21, 2011, 02:43:56 PM PRPatrol

JDog

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 20, 2011, 04:43:13 PM

Brad Johnson was a journeyman QB.  Nothing special.   Peyton Manning is just the opposite.   And Dungy had nothing to do with the Colts offense.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 20, 2011, 05:36:08 PM

Brad Johnson was a journeyman QB.  Nothing special.   Peyton Manning is just the opposite.   And Dungy had nothing to do with the Colts offense.

Brad Johnsons couple best year were outside of playing for Gruden so what does that say about Gruden?.... Johnson was a good quarterback so I hate busting on him. Gruden put the offense over the hump but without that Defense that Kiffin and Dungy built they dont sniff the superbowl even with Gruden.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shaun King rips Gruden......Gruden responds. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools