Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs pull the trigger on Bowers if available? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 21, 2011, 02:57:45 PM

RDE, I don't think people would have considered him the #1 overall pick if they thought he was going to be a LE.

Disagree, I think he's strictly a LDE.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 21, 2011, 03:06:32 PM

RDE, I don't think people would have considered him the #1 overall pick if they thought he was going to be a LE.

Disagree, I think he's strictly a LDE.
We'll find out when he is drafted by us or another team.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 21, 2011, 06:46:58 PM

so why are some willing to ignore the "presumption" he doesnt have the speed to be an edge rusher?  is it the stats?
Its his 40 time. He's plenty quick to turn the corner.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 21, 2011, 06:59:48 PM

is he quicker than clayborn? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 21, 2011, 07:01:44 PM

is bowers a potential LE or RE?  there are many top scouts that say he doesnt have elite speed/explosive first step.  what really makes him a top5 pick?
He's not a prototypical speed rusher, but if healthy I think he's fast enough that when you combine his hand and arm strength he can beat LT's on a semi-regular basis. I could see him being a Kyle Vanden Bosch-esque RDE.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 21, 2011, 07:17:59 PM

Heck no. He's got a speed rush now. KVB is all technique and power.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 21, 2011, 11:03:39 PM

To answer the OP in a rather large nutshell (good topic btw).

No way.

First of all, I have to say it.... The guy was a "balla" in collage. Who wouldn't want him without the injury bug?? However, it's there, staring us in the face as it's doing to many other NFL teams. Normally I would think this could be a smokescreen, but with all that we are hearing, no one is really saying otherwise, we already have more than a couple of questionable players (whether it's injury or retardedness) and the fact technology has gotten much better towards diagnosing these sorts of things I would just stay away.

If we were a team already in contention for playoffs or SB's yearly, I'd say sure why not. But Tampa is not. They are rebuilding still. To bring in a guy like Bowers would be much more of a risk to the Bucs than it would be to teams like Indy, Packers, etc. You get the point. Fact is, Tampa really can't take that chance. To do so would only slow down the team into growing a contender if he does fail. Honestly, I think he'll be gone before TB picks anyway, but if he does somehow slip, I still don't believe Dom will pick him. Heck, I still think Dom would have taken McCoy over Suh if he would have had that chance after hearing about Suh's knees. And I still believe Suh won't last as long in the NFL as McCoy will because of that fact. Suh might not seem like a good player to bring into this argument because he was damn good last season, but Detroit fans still have to wait a couple of seasons before they fall in complete man-love with him.

Imagine if you will. Worse case scenario....

We have Talib (who gets off), but then shoots his mom for putting him through that crap = no top CB for TB.

Then K2 busts knee again = no elite TE.

McCoy falls on his nuts = no high round draft pick at Dline.

Price never heals = without those two, might as well call Hovan. Maybe Mahan? dude is cheap and can't play the offensive side anyway. :)

Then Bowers has his problem = Back to teen wolf.

You get the point. I actually could elaborate more on that topic, but beating a dead horse isn't all that fun.

So sure, guys like Kerrigan or Houston might not be as flashy as Bowers, but they also don't have the giant red flashing light thingy over their heads either. Tough call, but I would say no. Either you waste a first round overall pick on a (eventual) crippled guy, or a superbowl winner. It's just a way to up and down situation for my liking.

: April 21, 2011, 11:05:40 PM Benchwarmer#1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 21, 2011, 11:08:24 PM

No.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 22, 2011, 12:05:35 AM

I don't know if they will or not...   If it's between Da'Quan and a project DE... I hope they do (or go another position entirely.)

I'm sure if he is there, I trust their draft strategy to get the right guy...

As far as 'flags' go (IMO) there is little to worry about Bowers.   Even needing a year to heal in the worse case - the guy has elite talent.    With a capital E ... Elite.

There are 3 or 4 guys on our entire team that have that kind of gift.

(I also think they're getting themselves ready to pick a LB if their guy isn't there in the first.)  JMHO.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 22, 2011, 12:25:54 AM

If he's there at 20 and we pass, I'll be pretty pissed. I doubt he will be, though.

And of course, after the draft is over I'll remember that I really don't know what I'm talking about since I complained the Freeman pick, and in the end I'll root for whoever we pick to succeed.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 22, 2011, 01:13:43 AM

No.
WHAT?!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 22, 2011, 01:37:53 AM

I would take Clayborn, at this point, over Bowers if they are both available at 20.  It syas something if he drops that far.

I thought Bowers would be the first DE taken.  But the knee rumor is really crushing his value.

Hopefully, he gets to round 2.  If he gets there, then Jabaal Sheard might still be available, and they can draft him instead.  Right?  Yeah.  Faulty logic.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 22, 2011, 06:41:57 AM

No.
WHAT?!

what are you basing your reasoning on?  doesnt clayborn have a much better 10 yard split?  isnt that a measure of quickness?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Letter_of_Marque

Practice Squad

#28 : April 22, 2011, 07:22:41 AM

I agree that we are not ready to take Bowers even if he ends up in our lap at #20. Our personnel on defense is just too brittle for us to take a high-risk/high reward player at this point in time. If we had an extra high pick this year, say in the second or third round, then maybe pull the trigger on Bowers but that ain't happening so every pick is vital to us to keep moving onwards and upwards. I have every faith in Dom to uncover at least one diamond in the rough who will make a difference to our team this year without taking a boom/bust guy.
: April 22, 2011, 07:25:19 AM Letter_of_Marque

cover-too

Starter

#29 : April 22, 2011, 08:57:47 AM

No.
WHAT?!

what are you basing your reasoning on?  doesnt clayborn have a much better 10 yard split?  isnt that a measure of quickness?

I think the 3 cone drill is more a measure of quickness and the 10 yd split is more straight line explosiveness, but either way, I don't like the pick of Bowers there for previously stated reasons and nor do I love the choice of Clayborn.  Isn't there now a lot of speculation of the Erbs Palsy which is showing some limited use of his right arm?  May be way off on that but I swear I read something on it earlier.  With guys like Watts, Jordan, and Kerrigan floating around between 10-20 in most mocks, you just hope something can fall your way or go up and get one of them instead of facing a choice with Bowers vs. Clayborn.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs pull the trigger on Bowers if available? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools