Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib is out of here.......according to Stroud « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 24, 2011, 01:19:51 AM

Troubled Aqib Talib all but gone from Tampa Bay Buccaneers

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

In Print: Sunday, April 24, 2011

TAMPA Barring a last-minute change of heart or perhaps his exoneration the Bucs are expected to release troubled CB Aqib Talib.

Only the lockout, which prevents teams from making transactions, has prevented Tampa Bay from already cutting ties with its 2008 first-round draft pick.

Despite his talent as one of the few shutdown cornerbacks in the league, Talib has run out of chances, the Bucs believe.

Talib, 25, has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in a March 21 shooting in Garland, Texas, a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison. Police say he fired a handgun at Shannon Billings, 40, his sister's live-in boyfriend. Through his attorneys, Talib has denied the accusation.

Since arriving from Kansas, Talib has been involved in a series of violent incidents.

He fought a teammate at the NFL rookie symposium. In 2009 he swung a helmet at tackle Donald Penn during an argument and inadvertently struck cornerback Torrie Cox, splitting his head open. Last year Talib agreed to a deal with prosecutors to resolve a battery charge after he was accused of hitting a St. Petersburg cab driver, and he was suspended for the first game last season by commissioner Roger Goodell.

In the Texas case, police say Talib tried to pistol whip his sister's boyfriend during a domestic dispute. When Talib's mother, Okolo, arrived, she fired several shots at Billings before Talib got the weapon and shot at Billings. Okolo Talib, 58, also was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon as well as being a felon in possession of a handgun.

As far as the Bucs are concerned, the outcome of the case won't matter. They know Talib at the least faces a long league suspension.

The Bucs have reached a point where they believe Talib's talent no longer justifies the trouble he generates. They believe it's only a matter of time before he runs afoul of the rules again.

That's why general manager Mark Dominik made it clear last week that the Bucs have altered their draft plans to include selecting a cornerback.

The Bucs don't have to wait for the outcome of Talib's case to make a move. They didn't in October when former TE Jerramy Stevens was arrested on two felony marijuana possession charges; the team released him two days later.

Goodell isn't likely to wait for a resolution, either, before making a move. He has said the league's personal conduct policy applies during the lockout and will be enforced when a collective bargaining agreement is reached.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 24, 2011, 01:42:52 AM

I hope this is BS.

Well you cant replace Talib with a corner outside the first round in any draft... and I don't want to see him play for another team.

MUSSO

Rookie

#2 : April 24, 2011, 01:43:23 AM

This is why i hate Stroud!! although he is right that he might face a suspension but he is the most talented player on our D, Neither Dom or Rah said that we were changing their draft plans actually i only remember hearing that this would not change our draft plans, Dom clearly said that he has a philosophy of always drafting for talent at CB since its a QB driven league.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 24, 2011, 01:46:42 AM

No arguments here if we cut him at the first opportunity.  Would be nice if we could get a late-rounder for him, though.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 24, 2011, 01:48:00 AM

Stroud is clueless...he is basing his conclusion off of what Dominik said this past Thursday during his pre-draft news conference. No where during Dominik's new conference did his state the team is altering their draft plans based on the Talib situation. But rather this is what Dominik said.

Ive stolen this [philosophy] from the Jets because I like to take things that I believe from different organizations that are productive and can help a football team you can never have enough cornerbacks. In the two years that Ive been here we have drafted a cornerback in every [draft], and I dont think you can have enough of them. It doesnt affect me other than it reinforces my opinion that you can never have enough cornerbacks in the National Football League. We have right now eight selections and who knows where we are going to use any of them for what positions, but at the same point, that is a position that I am always going to put high on my priority list.

You have to take the draft as it comes to you and take advantage of the player that you think can best fit your football team short term and long term. That wont change regardless of a specific event or a specific person.

Stroud is a hack. How do you as a paid journalist come to "Tailb is all but gone from the Buccaneers" based on the above quotes from Dominik? You don't. Then to further try and trick the masses in to believing that's it gospel without sighting any source is even worse. He is a tool. Dominik has been very calculated in every step since becoming general manager. If he thinks there is a way to move on and get some type of value in return for Talib he won't just cut ties with him before exploring all possible options..

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 24, 2011, 02:03:43 AM

Maybe Stroud has a inside source?  Don't know.  I hope its true actually. I am tired of Talib. You have this little incident here, and that little incident there.  It all adds up to a pattern of behavior that is not going to end well IMO.  Might as well cut him asap, who would trade for that **CENSORED**?  The Raiders come to mind, but the last time I checked they are pretty set at corner.  Then there is a little matter called team chemistry. This frekin guy has the potential to blow up this entire team. You all saw what Hovan said the other day, I would guess there are current players on the team who feel the same way Hovan does. I say send that clown packing before he ruins this wonderful young team we have.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 24, 2011, 02:14:49 AM

He plays great when hes out there and he is usual good to suit up. Although he hasn't made the probowl, he has been a probowl caliber cornerback for us. I'm not ready to see him go. Drafting a good corner back Im all for though. He can be paired with Talib to create a great duo or he can replace Talib if Talib does indeed screw up again. Also as MD put it, you can never have enough (quality)corners.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 24, 2011, 02:18:38 AM

He plays great when hes out there and he is usual good to suit up. Although he hasn't made the probowl, he has been a probowl caliber cornerback for us. I'm not ready to see him go. Drafting a good corner back Im all for though. He can be paired with Talib to create a great duo or he can replace Talib if Talib does indeed screw up again. Also as MD put it, you can never have enough (quality)corners.

He aint all that, dude.  Someone had the top 25 CB's the other day, and he didnt even make the list.  Someone also mentioned he is way overvalued on this very board and I tend to agree with that.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 24, 2011, 02:23:22 AM

He aint all that, dude.  Someone had the top 25 CB's the other day, and he didnt even make the list.  Someone also mentioned he is way overvalued on this very board and I tend to agree with that.

Strongly disagree, he is the best defensive player on the team.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 24, 2011, 02:25:36 AM

Strongly disagree, he is the best defensive player on the team.

Better than the greatness that is Barrett Ruud?  No way.   

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#10 : April 24, 2011, 03:00:10 AM

lol @ Barrett Ruud

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#11 : April 24, 2011, 03:16:39 AM

Just because he didn't make ESPN's list doesn't mean he's not one of the best. Dunta Robinson was on there for gods sake, along with a handful of others that definitely aren't better than Aqib. Grimes? C'mon maan.

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 24, 2011, 03:38:26 AM

He aint all that, dude.

Yeah. He is.

He's the best CB on the team. Getting rid of him opens up yet another massive hole on a unit that already resembles swiss cheese.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 24, 2011, 04:02:36 AM

Last time I checked I'm pretty sure they said they are gonna see how it plays out and it's already been a reduced charge. Pretty sure we're keeping him.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 24, 2011, 04:58:15 AM

Wasn't Stroud the same guy that reported the Bucs had traded for Favre?
How the Tampa area media has any credibility left when it comes to the Bucs after all these years is beyond me.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib is out of here.......according to Stroud « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools