Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the obsession? « previous next »
Page: 1

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: April 24, 2011, 12:00:09 PM

When wide receiver prospects are being judged and rated, height plays a big role. Every year the top guys are the tallest. The guys that are 6'2" or shorter always have less value because they are considered shorter than the ideal. Gruden was obsessed with tall WRs and he is not alone. Apparently the train of thought is taller receivers will have better production because they can reach over DBs. It seems to be the general consensus. I just wanted to take a look at reality to shed some light on how ridiculous this notion is.

First lets look at the great WRs from the past decade that are over 6'2" There is
Randy Moss at 6'4",
Marques Colsten at 6'4",
Andre Johnson at 6'3",
Terrell Owens at 6'3",
Brandon Marshall? at 6'4", 
Calvin Johnson at 6'5"

That's it. If I forgot someone please feel free to let me know. I'm just going off memory here, but even if I missed one...there just isn't that many.
Now lets look at some great receivers that are 6'2" or less. Going back a ways we have...

Jerry Rice at 6ft,
Deion Sanders at 6ft,
Michael Irvin at 6'2",
Marvin Harrison at 6ft,
Reggie Wayne at 6ft,
Anquan Boldin at 6'1",
Chad Johnson at 6'1",
Donald Driver at 6ft,
Larry Fitzgerald at 6'2",
Greg Jennings at 6ft,
Roddy White 6ft,
Rod Smith at 6ft,
Sterling Sharpe at 6ft,
Miles Austin at 6'2",
Rejus Benn 6'1",
Mike Williams 6'2",
Santanio Holmes at 6ft,
Derrick Mason <6ft,
Torry Holt at 6ft,
Chris Carter at 6'2",
Wes Welker at <6ft,
Desean Jackson <6ft,
Isaac Bruce at 6ft,
Andre Reed at 6'2",
Hines Ward at 6ft,
Tim Brown at 6ft,
Steve Smith <6ft....

I could go on but it's pretty clear that taller does not equal better. Sure there will be freaks like Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson, but most of the top WRs are 6'2" or shorter. By limiting yourself to WRs 6'3" and taller, all you do is lower you chances of finding a stud. An extra inch or two does not make a receiver great. Great receivers are smart and work hard at their craft. They catch everything and run precise routes. They have a rare drive to be the greatest. I think the current regime knows this.

: April 24, 2011, 12:02:48 PM JDouble

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 24, 2011, 12:11:45 PM

well, there arent anywhere near as many 6'4" WRs are there? I think that would play a huge role in this equasion. Out of the top 25 WRs in this class, theres about 5-6 that are over 6'2".

Its like stating that HBs over 6'4" arent as productive as ones 5'10"-6'.  well guess why? there arent anywhere near as many guys running the ball at 6'4".

When you have such a small percentage of guys entering the league every year over 6'2", wouldnt it be safe to assume that the percentage of successful ones would be equally as low?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 24, 2011, 12:16:38 PM

Exactly. But you still have so many people that think taller = better. Why was Demaryius Thomas the first WR taken last year? Cause he is 6'4" and Josh McDaniels is a moron.

There aren't a lot of receivers over 6'3" but when there are their stock gets inflated just because they are tall like it's some big advantage, when it just isn't the case. This year for example, Leonard Hankerson looks every bit as impressive as Julio Jones and AJ Green, but Green is 6'4" and Jones is 6'3" while Hankerson is only 6'1". Therefore Hankerson is considered the 3rd or even 4th best WR. I promise you if he were 6'4" he would be in the debate with Jones and Green as to who was the #1 receiver. It's just about the height and it's just funny to me.
: April 24, 2011, 12:20:24 PM JDouble

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 24, 2011, 12:19:08 PM

Well...it also happens to be that this year the two tall receivers are also clearly the best.  You aren't trying to argue that there are receivers out there better than Green or Jones are you?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 24, 2011, 12:21:10 PM

Why was Demaryius Thomas the first WR taken last year? Cause he is 6'4" and Josh McDaniels is a moron.

Actually it's because Dez Bryant is a moron.  Bryant was easily the best WR prospect last season, but fell due to his idiocy.

I agree on the overall point that height is overrated for WR's (especially considering today's rules for defenses) but when drafting a WR early, you want them to have every advantage possible.  I think that's why the bigger guys get more pub come draft time.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 24, 2011, 12:24:17 PM

The game is changing all the time. Players are getting bigger and stronger. So its just an evolution of the position. Look at linemen 20 years ago, they were the size of todays RB's. Now most are approaching 300 or over 300lbs.  So IMO, 10-20 years from now your tall list will be much bigger and your short list much smaller.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 24, 2011, 12:35:11 PM

Exactly. But you still have so many people that think taller = better. Why was Demaryius Thomas the first WR taken last year? Cause he is 6'4" and Josh McDaniels is a moron.

There aren't a lot of receivers over 6'3" but when there are their stock gets inflated just because they are tall like it's some big advantage, when it just isn't the case. This year for example, Leonard Hankerson looks every bit as impressive as Julio Jones and AJ Green, but Green is 6'4" and Jones is 6'3" while Hankerson is only 6'1". Therefore Hankerson is considered the 3rd or even 4th best WR. I promise you if he were 6'4" he would be in the debate with Jones and Green as to who was the #1 receiver. It's just about the height and it's just funny to me.

Thomas was a potential 1st rounder and definate 2nd rounder.  He was 6'3", ran a 4.38 40(reportedly), had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and 8 TDs as a junior on a run oriented team. He had 3 years where he continually got better every year and it also helped Calvin Johnson happen to go to the same school. He was touted as a physical WR who could beat the press and out jump DBs for the ball. They said he was a good blocker, and can do damage via YAC. He was picked #22 in a class that had a huge red flag WR in Dez Bryant. The only other WR taken in the next 40 or so picks was Benn, and McCluster(was considered HB at time of draft).

Not sure how Thomas is an example of a guy being overvalued based on height. Especially when he was projected to go in the 2nd or towards the bottom of the 1st and has production, measurables, and a bigger school all in his corner.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 24, 2011, 12:38:13 PM

Thomas was a reach in the 2nd. He was as raw as they come. The offense he came from ran the ball 80% of the time and he didn't even have routes. On play action they'd just tell him to get open. He was all potential and height was a huge part of that potential. If he was 6ft even there is no way he gets drafted in the 1st round.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 24, 2011, 12:54:27 PM

Thomas was a reach in the 2nd. He was as raw as they come. The offense he came from ran the ball 80% of the time and he didn't even have routes. On play action they'd just tell him to get open. He was all potential and height was a huge part of that potential. If he was 6ft even there is no way he gets drafted in the 1st round.

well, every draft site in the country had him rated 2nd rounder or better. I guess you just know better. I mean college teams dont call routes and a guy on a run oriented team must suck putting up 1100yds and 8TDs. No college team would ever focus on GTs only recieving weapon. cmon man, are you even buying the manure your spreading?

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 24, 2011, 12:56:19 PM

Its not just about being tall. If there tall and lanky but also have great coordination, speed, and body control then yeah I'd probably rate those guys higher. Thats what made Plaxico Burres elite. If you have the height and still have the coordination and control its a big deal. It doesn't mean small receivers are gonna be worse. I would also classify 6'2" at being a receiver with good height. I remember being excited about Mike Williams having some height. I see how guys like Desean Jackson and Santonio Holmes can be used to argue the case but I dont agree, they are a different style of receiver in my opinion. My two favorite receiver prospects of the last few years were actually small guys, Holmes and Shipley, but I definitely understand the attraction to skilled tall receivers especially if they posses the speed and coordination. 

Also as tatmanfish mentioned, that list is unfair because there are way less prospects that are 6'3" and over. Taking that into consideration the (small) list of great recievers from the past decade that are over 6'2" has in it 3 of the greatest receivers to play. Moss, Johnson, and Johnson. Each of them are very tall and have elite speed and coordination. They can catch anything too.

Raheem33

Rookie
#10 : April 24, 2011, 01:21:54 PM

Its a pretty simple answer  /Size like speed cant be taught. Height is an advantage just look what Calvin Johnson did to Tampa last year without Talib(whose 6 ft +) Why do you think tall corners are so coveted?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 24, 2011, 01:43:15 PM

well, every draft site in the country had him rated 2nd rounder or better. I guess you just know better. I mean college teams dont call routes and a guy on a run oriented team must suck putting up 1100yds and 8TDs. No college team would ever focus on GTs only recieving weapon. cmon man, are you even buying the manure your spreading?

I remember when I enjoyed your posts once upon a time Tat. When did you become such a prick? Can you disagree with my opinions without being condescending and disrespectful? This is the second thread today that you are riding my ass. If you don't agree fine...you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 24, 2011, 02:54:39 PM

Height is only used for grading. It doesn't mean that player will be better or worse than a shorter player it just means he has the size/length and potential to create mis-matches vs shorter/smaller DB's.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 24, 2011, 03:29:07 PM

I remember when I enjoyed your posts once upon a time Tat. When did you become such a prick? Can you disagree with my opinions without being condescending and disrespectful? This is the second thread today that you are riding my ass. If you don't agree fine...you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Cut J-double some slack, he is stressed out over missing the draft in favor of the space shuttle.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 24, 2011, 04:47:09 PM

Right! lol

Actually I found out there is one more shuttle launch next month, so now I'm trying to get out of the one next week but my wife is acting like it's the end of the world.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the obsession? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools