Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's gonna be DeQuan Bowers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: April 27, 2011, 02:10:37 PM

Lets face it, DeQuan is going to slip and fall right in our lap. Thats just gonna be what happens. Say what you want about his knee, he put up great numbers in college with said knee so i don't see it being a huge problem unless there has been a new injury. I would still like Kerrigan but i can't say i'll complain to much about Bowers being a buc. His stout run defense coupled with pass rushing skills is the reason he was considering one of the 5 best talents in the draft.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 27, 2011, 02:12:18 PM

Wouldn't be mad.. But there are some people who will be.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 27, 2011, 02:12:38 PM

One year wonder with a bum knee......I'm sorry you feel it's a slam dunk.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 27, 2011, 02:13:20 PM

This would not shock me a bit.  Think he's best suited as a power end on the left side, though

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 27, 2011, 02:15:29 PM

Lets face it, DeQuan is going to slip and fall right in our lap. Thats just gonna be what happens. Say what you want about his knee, he put up great numbers in college with said knee so i don't see it being a huge problem unless there has been a new injury. I would still like Kerrigan but i can't say i'll complain to much about Bowers being a buc. His stout run defense coupled with pass rushing skills is the reason he was considering one of the 5 best talents in the draft.

It's about longevity. According to PFT, there's a concern he'll be a one contract guy.  Charles Davis wonders if he's Courteney Brown.

Supposedly Ray Perkins, when informed that Keith McCant's knee wouldn't last 4 years in the NFL, Perkins said "4 is all I need" or something along those lines. Do you just want 4 years out of our first round pick?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 27, 2011, 02:18:23 PM

Most, if not all of the 'safe' guys are going to be gone at 20...

Risk is going to be adherent to the guy regardless of who we pick there, assuming we don't trade up.

Bowers, Clayborn, Ayers, etc all have a 'flag'...

My choice without trading up would probably be Bowers and more recently sold on Clayborn in a distant second place finish...

The REAL question is which Draftnik is going to blow up first when their guy isn't picked?   ;)    lol

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 27, 2011, 02:19:23 PM

One year wonder with a bum knee......I'm sorry you feel it's a slam dunk.

Can you read, or did you just read the subject line?

It's about longevity. According to PFT, there's a concern he'll be a one contract guy.  Charles Davis wonders if he's Courteney Brown.

Supposedly Ray Perkins, when informed that Keith McCant's knee wouldn't last 4 years in the NFL, Perkins said "4 is all I need" or something along those lines. Do you just want 4 years out of our first round pick?

I agree we need a 10 year DE to play with. I can't help but wonder how bad his knee really is and how much has been blown out of proportion. Caddy probably has the 2 worst knees in the game and no one was even talking about them. He appeared to be at full strength this year.

I think everyone would be surprised just how arthritic some of these NFL players are, and not just knees.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 27, 2011, 02:27:47 PM

Most, if not all of the 'safe' guys are going to be gone at 20...

I disagree. Their will be a lot safer picks all through the draft. Will they have the same possible upside? No, but they will be much safter picks.

None of us really have access to the information we would need to know whether Bowers would be a good pick. Why was he so much less productive his first couple of years? Is his game well rounded enough that he can still be a productive player even if the knee is never exactly the same?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 27, 2011, 02:34:37 PM

I can't be 100% positive, but I'm thinking every team has had their doctors go over Bowers probably not once but at least twice. Probably also have his vital stats taken during his 5th grade physical too. They all know the risks so if they pick Bowers it's because they're confident the knee will hold up. I don't think Dominik makes many picks where he has to cross his fingers after turning the name in.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 27, 2011, 02:35:40 PM

What I meant was for someone considered a 1st round value at the 20 spot would not be a 'safe' guy ...

Unless it's a TE, SS or a Olineman - none of those are going to be on our radar this year in the 1st.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 27, 2011, 02:43:25 PM

Clayborn is a safer pick. Yes he has the Erbs Palsey but he has always had it, and you know how he is able to play with it. I don't think you can say that O-Lineman is not on possiblity. Carimi would be a great pick.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 27, 2011, 02:44:19 PM

Caddy's knee injuries involved his ligaments and tendons. They were bad injuries, but in some cases they can be made very strong after an tough rehab. Cartilage is different - you can't do much about it, which is why guys resort to things like microfracture surgery.

Plus, who thinks Caddy is close to the same back he was in 2005?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 27, 2011, 02:46:36 PM

Oline is a stretch, at best at 20.

'sayin.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#13 : April 27, 2011, 02:46:46 PM

The guy I'm most afraid of

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 27, 2011, 02:47:37 PM

He had surgery for a torn meniscus. Its not that big of a deal in most cases. He had his surgery arthoscopically. It was to trim down a tear to keep it from causing pain(similar to Antonio Bryants). Healing time is a few weeks to a couple months. osteoarthritis is the long term part of the equasion. Osteoarthritis is a very manageable pain and often takes years to notice any symptoms.

The mincrofracture thing is a rumor from what I can put together. I think a lot of this is teams blowing it out of proportion for the draft. This is a common injury and a common surgery. Most guys heal up fine and dont see any serious pain from osteoarthritis until late in their careers. Once in a while a guys loses a little bit of mobility in the knee, but active athletes usually have little problems. Him being young, he should bounce back fine.

I have no idea what team doctors have seen, but from all reports before the draft, it seemed minor in nature. If it poves to be true, hes a steal. Even with immediate effects of arthritis, hes more than a 1 contract guy.

He may be a "risky" pick, but I dont think the risk is all that high.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's gonna be DeQuan Bowers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools