Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Check out this post in Falcon land...priceless! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

docbravo

Pro Bowler

« #15 : April 30, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »

Mike Ditka gave up almost the same thing for Ricky Williams... Well, he actually gave up more... But look where that got him? No where... Mark my words, this move will set the Falcant's back a couple of years...

Didn't Minnesota mortgage their future for Herchal Walker? How'd that work out? Oh yeah, The Cowboys useds those picks to create a Dynasty!!!! And Minny still hasn't made it to a Super Bowl.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #16 : April 30, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »

It is because you won the ultimate prize....

and if this trade nets them the same, then its a great trade, right?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #17 : April 30, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »

The Falcons are acting like they're one player away but I don't see it.  I watched them win game after game with smoke and mirrors, luck, and a lot of referee help.  Even the Falcons fans I know were looking at that 13-3 record knowing they weren't really that good.  Last season was a flash in the pan and shouldn't have been seen as a reason to go all in for one or two years before Abraham and Gonzalez are done.  They're going to be average until the lack of draft picks make them bad, just like we were. 

smove28

Starter

« #18 : April 30, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »

That trade makes me love Dom that much more.. I love this draft so far and as much as some fans hate to, we have to give the Glazers some love for signing him.

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #19 : April 30, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »

its amazing how many Falcons fans are behind that stupid decision and arguing with the guy who created that topic. I wouldnt have accepted doing that for Calvin Johnson

The falcons gave up this year's 1,2, and 4.   and next year's 1 and 4

You wouldn't trade:

1 Gaines Adams
2 Sabby Piscitelli (or Aaron Sears)
4 Tanard Jackson
1 Aqib Talib
4 Dre Moore

For Calvin Johnson? 

You are nuts.

I bet your boy Gruden would make that trade... for Dexter Jackson.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

« #20 : April 30, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »

Mike Ditka gave up almost the same thing for Ricky Williams... Well, he actually gave up more... But look where that got him? No where... Mark my words, this move will set the Falcant's back a couple of years...

Didn't Minnesota mortgage their future for Herchal Walker? How'd that work out? Oh yeah, The Cowboys useds those picks to create a Dynasty!!!! And Minny still hasn't made it to a Super Bowl.
Exactly...

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #21 : April 30, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »

I can't believe the Falcons fan are even supporting this and they think this guy will get them over the top. If they don't remember they had a worse rank defense then us last year in the league.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #22 : April 30, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »

Exactly...

I really hope the Browns could do the same. I think they got a lot of the right pieces in place and so far a good draft this year.

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #23 : April 30, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »

Here's my problem with the Falcons trade.  They did this for an immediate impact.  But what are the chances Jones makes an immediate impact?  A lot of rookie WRs don't.

I think Jones will be a good WR someday.  But, in my opinion, I think his career will start out slowly... much like teammate Roddy White's.

I'm so glad Arthur Blank and his idiot GM did this.  Other than Ryan, they've swung and missed on 1st round picks.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #24 : April 30, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »

If they don't remember they had a worse rank defense then us last year in the league.

5th in points per game, 15th in yards. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #25 : April 30, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »

In 1999, the Saints gave up two firsts, two thirds, a fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh round pick for Ricky Williams -- the NCAA's all-time rushing and touchdown leader; a guy regarded as one of the best running backs to ever play college football.

In 2011, the Falcons gave up two firsts, a third, and two fourth round picks for Julio Jones -- a guy with similar college production to Arrelious Benn.

There's a disconnect here.  Somewhere.

dbrooks55

Starter

« #26 : April 30, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »

It is because you won the ultimate prize....

and if this trade nets them the same, then its a great trade, right?

The difference is I'm talking about something that did happen...proof, your talking about something very iffy in the future. I don't think Atlanta will win a SB, personally I think our team will surpass them this year...we practically did last year!

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #27 : April 30, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »

If they don't remember they had a worse rank defense then us last year in the league.

5th in points per game, 15th in yards.

Ranked 17th in total defense tho and not to mention their best defensive lineman will be 33 at the start of next season and another starting linebacker who will be there 35.

Mellow

Starter

« #28 : April 30, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3723_A_letter_to_GMs%3A_four_big_draft-day_don%27ts_.html

If you want to put together a winning team, you’ll have to resist the temptation of the flashy wide receiver...  Put it this way: the average NFL team has drafted 1.25 wide receivers in the first round over the past decade. Yet, despite all those first-round receivers floating around the NFL, only six teams in 2010 were led in receiving yards by a player they picked in the first round: the Chiefs, Colts, Falcons, Lions, Texans and Vikings...  And here’s the biggest reason not to draft wide outs in the first round. Even if you nail the pick, great wide receivers simply do not have a big impact on the success or failure of a team.

So really they not only drafted a WR, which isn't sharp, they drafted him high, they drafted him to be Robin so he can't even have that much impact AND they paid an arm and a leg for him. Good plan guys, as a I Buc fan, I really, REALLY, applaud this move.

The lack of response to this post is exactly why I stopped contributing to this board a while ago: most people are morons. Any kind of serious argument (with evidence!) gets ignored or dismissed with specious 'logic'. Picking and choosing 'what-if' trade scenarios, what a joke; hindsight is 20:20, you know. Some of the responses supporting this trade are just pathetic.

Read the article Dalbuc posted for god's sake, please, then respond. There's no reason to take a WR at #7, let alone pay a king's ransom in draft picks for him. It's a lousy DECISION even if it turns out to be a good or even great player. Yes, even if JJ turns out to be the second coming of Jerry Rice it was bad DECISION, because it has a low chance of turning out right.

Here's an  analogy: you could choose to invest your entire life savings in a high-risk penny stock you picked out of a hat, and that would be a BAD DECISION even if the stock  became a 20-bagger. It's a bad decision because 99.9% of the time it's going to turn out badly. Being lucky and being good are different things.

The draft is the same way--there's an element of uncertainty no one can control. None of these picks are 'sure things' and none of them are entirely 'crap shoots'. Good teams try to maximize their potential for success by paying attention to the draft's history and taking this uncertainty into account. Bad teams get emotional and arrogant, and think that the fact of uncertainty doesn't apply to them. The trades and pick of Julio Jones showed enormous hubris and arrogance and was a HORRIBLE DECISION no matter how you slice it, no matter how great he turns out to be, even if every pick they traded away was used to draft a bust.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #29 : April 30, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »

its amazing how many Falcons fans are behind that stupid decision and arguing with the guy who created that topic. I wouldnt have accepted doing that for Calvin Johnson

The falcons gave up this year's 1,2, and 4.   and next year's 1 and 4

You wouldn't trade:

1 Gaines Adams
2 Sabby Piscitelli (or Aaron Sears)
4 Tanard Jackson
1 Aqib Talib
4 Dre Moore

For Calvin Johnson? 

You are nuts.

Oh well yea, when you put it that way your right Java. If Gruden and Allen were still in charge like your saying then I'd say might as well trade every pick we got for him.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Check out this post in Falcon land...priceless! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools