Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WITH THEIR 5TH ROUND PICK, THE BUCS SELECT FLORIDA SS AHMAD BLACK « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 30, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

I think he's keying on that he's too slow. (4.7 in a 40) and the Bucs typically like faster guys.

Damn it! Morris and MD forgot to look at his 40 times!

You should call them and alert them to this oversight.

Too late now.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 30, 2011, 03:30:48 PM

Our safeties are far from athletic but they got good instincts.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 30, 2011, 03:31:22 PM

Pat Kirwan doesnt like the pick. He says Black doesnt fit in to Raheem's defensive schemes at all.

I wonder who knows Morris' defensive schemes better, Kirwan or Morris?  Thanks for posting, though.

Also, most people recognize the defensive schemes are going to change with the new DE's.

I think he's keying on that he's too slow. (4.7 in a 40) and the Bucs typically like faster guys.

Tanard Jackson, Dexter Jackson, Damien Robinson, John Lynch, Cody Grimm, etc are all in the 4.6-47 range with the exception being Sabby *snicker*

Thanks for another laugh though.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#33 : April 30, 2011, 03:32:35 PM

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2011&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=S

Best agility for any safety at the combine.

Kid is a pure playmaker. Reminds me of Ed Reed. A mini Ed Reed.

The quest for .500 begins...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 30, 2011, 03:33:05 PM

whos the scout who forgot to tell Morris what blacks 40time was?  fire him!

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 30, 2011, 03:33:22 PM

I like him. He always stood out to me when I watched FL play defense. Always around the ball and was always close to getting picks or would get it. Hes got some game to him. I think Morris can coach this guy to be a solid player for us. Good pick.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 30, 2011, 03:33:39 PM

Too late now.

Never too late. They can trade him.

Cyber - "Hello, Mr. Morris? I regret to inform you that Ahmad Black is slow!"

Rah - "What? Who is this? We were told he was a fast guy. This can't be true! Mark!!!"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 30, 2011, 03:35:12 PM

But he's so small :o... actually Ronde Barber's size 8).
Had a very productive career at UF; another of those guys we like who's a football player first, athlete second... And he rises to the occasion; bigger the moment, the bigger he plays. Waiting too much after this to take him and he'd have likely been gone...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 30, 2011, 03:37:19 PM

While Black and Grimm do play pretty similarly, it's worth noting Grimm is 20 lbs bigger and a good bit faster. Grimm is a very respectable athlete.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 30, 2011, 03:40:21 PM

Absolutely true that Grimm is more athletic than Black.  I think Black has the edge playing safety at a high level at the collegiate level heading into the pros.  Black and Grimm on the field together is going to be something special back there.  Sean Jones who?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 30, 2011, 03:42:10 PM

Too late now.

Its just the end of the world as we know it.

benir0

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 30, 2011, 03:46:31 PM

He is small, but I love him as a player.  He certainly has been matched up against elite size and speed, playing at Florida.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 30, 2011, 04:01:57 PM

I think I am faster in a forty than he is, and I am 38 years old...and out of shape.

No. No you aren't you probably run a 5.7.

You might not know this, but Boid "the Blazin' Half-Caucasian" has some wheels
Used to.  Glad you remembered!  HA HA!

5.7?  Jesus.  Bradentonian could WALK that!

obuc

Starter

#43 : April 30, 2011, 04:07:42 PM

BucBalla is rght. . he doesnt have the fastest 40 but a safety doesnt need it. He needs instincts and reaction and he posted great numbers of that kind in the combine. I think he's a good pick. Besides your head coach is a secondary coach. give him some faith.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 01, 2011, 04:39:24 PM

Ahmad says he came out of the womb a Buccaneer:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110501/NEWS/110509987?p=1&tc=pg

"This is a blessing," the safety from Lakeland said Saturday after the Bucs drafted him in the fifth round. "A lot of people have asked me where I wanted to go, and Tampa was always my first pick. That's my favorite team. I didn't really want to say I just want Tampa because there was always a chance I would go somewhere else."

An All-SEC first-teamer at Florida, Black will begin his NFL career down the road at Raymond James Stadium, where he was named most valuable player of the Outback Bowl four months ago.

"I grew up a Buccaneer fan. I came out the womb Buccaneers," he said. "My aunt (Sabrina Valdez-Collins) cheered for the Bucs for about 10 years and now still works with the cheerleaders."

If he wasn't born to be a Buc, Black has some credentials to be an NFL player, having played on national championship teams in high school (Lakeland, 2006) and college (Florida, 2008). His 13 interceptions rank 13th in Gators history, and only three players in SEC history have returned interceptions for more yards (392).

Now he is back in the position of having to prove himself.

"It's been a long couple days," he said. "Coming off the last couple years down at Florida, I thought I'd be picked a little bit earlier. A few things set me back a little bit, I guess the measurables (Black is 5-foot-9, 184 pounds, and runs a 4.7 40-yard dash). At the end of the day I just wanted a chance."

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WITH THEIR 5TH ROUND PICK, THE BUCS SELECT FLORIDA SS AHMAD BLACK « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools