Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WITH THEIR 6TH ROUND PICK, THE BUCS SELECT USC RB ALLEN BRADFORD « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#30 : April 30, 2011, 05:04:01 PM

I really don't like it, and for the first time, I can say I don't really understand a pick by Dominik.  This guy is awful on passing downs (according to Scout Inc), both in blocking and catching.  We needed a change of pace guy, not a pure backup for Blount.

Sproles will be on the market.  Is the best available 3rd down back (including the draft).  If the plan is to get a solid backup for Blount and address the 3rd down situation through free agency, I'm fine with that.  I agree with others, don't need a "change of pace" on 1st/2nd down.  Need a guy who can play on 3rd and 3+ who can block/catch/move chains.  Maybe Bucs evaluated Devine as lacking as a 3rd down option? 

Madman

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 30, 2011, 05:04:33 PM

Another tough guy who plays with attitude. I like it!

I can see Bradford being the short yardage and goalline guy. Lord knows that was a sore spot last year.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 30, 2011, 05:06:03 PM

Bradford holds the dubious distinction of having the lowest vertical jump of any RB's at the combine. You won't see him hurdling any defenders like Blount. Heck, it will take everything he has to hurdle over the chalk marks on the field.

smove28

Starter

#33 : April 30, 2011, 05:07:24 PM

I'm an SC fan and have known about Bradford since we recruited him and I gotta say I'm shocked we picked him. SC recruited him as an athlete as he was a LB/RB in high school, we had 6 backs all worthy of carries at one point so he played some FB to get him on the field and Jeremy Bates/Steve Sarkisian/Lane Kiffin all never bothered to use him as a receiver because of other backs they had that were better than him, so he never developed that part of his game. He is a huge back(up to 240 lbs at one point) and when he got a good number of carries he beasted. Offers very little in pass protection and as a receiver but he was never really asked to do those things his entire tenure at USC. Real high upside pick, I know JDub has to be pumped about this.

I'm a UCLA student and fan.... and let me just say this.... He embarrassed us last year.

Kid has huge potential, big bruising back.

Pound the rock, wear them down, and watch the ball fly in the 4th quarter out of Freeman's cannon. Love it. (p.s. hate the fact that he's a trojan though)
I live in LA and have watched too many USC games. This is a great pick. USC splits carries among about 5 RBs a game so Bradford was underused. He is a beast and he is faster than his size would have you think. If he had been the feature back we would have never got him with his talent he would have been gone. I love what the Bucs are doing by making this team tough as hell.  As far as blocking, he was rarely in on passing downs, but I have seen playactions where he has flattened LBs coming in. We will be happy to have him with Blount

edwamil83

Starter
#34 : April 30, 2011, 05:07:37 PM

I'd like a scat back too but the best ones were gone. Watching that clip reel he looks a lot like Blount but faster and more fluid.

Let's see what happen 6th round may be our kryptonite last year was Bowden, not good.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 30, 2011, 05:08:04 PM

I really don't like it, and for the first time, I can say I don't really understand a pick by Dominik.  This guy is awful on passing downs (according to Scout Inc), both in blocking and catching.  We needed a change of pace guy, not a pure backup for Blount.
At a certain point all running backs don't know how to block and catch. While I would have liked a back more adept in the passing game, too, we're not just drafting this guy for 2011. We're planning on having him for a while and working with him to learn to do things he's currently not good at. Blount is working on those things, too.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

smove28

Starter

#36 : April 30, 2011, 05:09:02 PM

Bradford holds the dubious distinction of having the lowest vertical jump of any RB's at the combine. You won't see him hurdling any defenders like Blount. Heck, it will take everything he has to hurdle over the chalk marks on the field.

I'll remember that when Tampa has a draft pick in basketball, this guy is a beast.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 30, 2011, 05:09:17 PM

Don't you think the Bucs might have a little inside scoop on this kid with Monte at USC?

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#38 : April 30, 2011, 05:09:45 PM

Has everyone forgotten that we will still have a Free Agency Period? We don't have to try to fill every hole on the roster this weekend. There will still be trades, and there will be free agents sometime this summer. If there is a season this year, there will be free agents.

P.S. I really wouldn't mind Reggie Bush as a 3rd down, scat back .

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 30, 2011, 05:10:17 PM

Don't you think the Bucs might have a little inside scoop on this kid with Monte at USC?

wouldnt doubt it.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 30, 2011, 05:11:54 PM

So instead of a change of pace guy MD and Raheem are thinking "lets have a hard nosed, keep pushing for yards, physical running attack throughout the whole game."

I think this pick could be part of the plan for what they want to do and not just Blount insurance.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 30, 2011, 05:12:37 PM

I was "meh" on the pick at first, but I am quickly warming up to it after watching vids and reading scouting reports on him.  Two big backs that will punish the other team.  How many times has Mark Dominik and Coach Raheem preached violence and physicality?  Wear'em down boys!

Welcome to TB Allen.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 30, 2011, 05:17:17 PM

Really dont understand the scat back love. Its just not our style. Our OLine does so much better at going downhill. We wanna wear defenses out by beating them physically.
Scat back is a change up so when you have your Defense tired of being hit in series or having speed to do the change up...JMO...OBD

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 30, 2011, 05:17:47 PM

We could still use a scat back as our 3rd RB.  Locke and Devine are still available.

Devine wouldnt upset me in the 7th.

Need some more speed and Devine is my homer pick - pull the trigger!

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 30, 2011, 05:22:23 PM

Everyone is screaming scat back!!! I want to throw this out there we need a vocal leader and a scat back right? Not to many young vets are going to wanna be just a 3rd down back and most don't hold the weight to put a screw up in his place on either side of the ball the one guy out there that is a vet and ultimate 3rd down back is...Brian Westbrook don't give me thathe's always hurt stuff (because I already know) but in his limited role in San Fran he was health and produced he would be perfect for us IMHO of course!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WITH THEIR 6TH ROUND PICK, THE BUCS SELECT USC RB ALLEN BRADFORD « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools