Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Sign Nnamdi Asomugha thread!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #180 : July 10, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »

Any player who we can bring in who makes this team better is worth pursuing.  period.

Aso is at the top of that list of players that would make us better, regardless of the contract amount being discussed in the media and on message boards... 

Dominik has done a great job finding talent in the draft...   a mediocre to good job in Free Agency.   

I  have not seen the sign at all costs bandwagon.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #181 : July 10, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »

How can you even compare that? That was not an open market bidding. Revis was already under contract. His only options were to continue to hold out, and make nothing, or sign some kind of  "peace offering" with the Jets. Aso is already making more than that now.

Which Cornerback that signed a big contract would you like compare him to?

Well, for starters I would look at his current contract. Unless HE elects to void the final year of his contract with Oakland, he is scheduled to make the HIGHER of $16.8 million or the average of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL, so you know he is gonna be asking for something higher than he is already scheduled to make.

The Glazers have said that they want to build a lasting contender that can compete for championships year after year. Dominik has said that he has used New England, Philly and Indy as models. None of these 3 teams have ever invested that kind of money in a player unless he was the franchise QB. When a player starts to get too pricey, they cut bait and plug in the next guy. They all have pretty much avoided cap hell and have been able to compete at a high level year after year using this formula. Like I said before, unless the Bucs have already made a decision to cut bait on Talib, I just don't see them tying up that kind of money in the secondary.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #182 : July 10, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »

So many think we HAVE to sign him at all cost. 

I haven't seen that typed anywhere.
the anti aso posters put all sorts of rediculous stuff up there but we all know......THERE IS NO GOOD REASON FOR THE BUCS NOT TO SIGN ASO.!!!

Although I agree that we should go after him hard. Thing is that what if he doesnt want to go to Tampa? Thats a good reason for him not coming here.
[/quote  but there is no good reason not to sign him.....meaning we have the money and the need and there is nothing wrong with him....coming here if the money was right would be purely up to him....but i'm sorry if we make  a good offer I think it would be hard to turn down .

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #183 : July 10, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »

Well, for starters I would look at his current contract. Unless HE elects to void the final year of his contract with Oakland, he is scheduled to make the HIGHER of $16.8 million or the average of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL, so you know he is gonna be asking for something higher than he is already scheduled to make.

This doesn't change my initial point of $20M per year being the absolute ceiling.  I doubt it gets that high, but extremely unlikely he gets over that.

The Glazers have said that they want to build a lasting contender that can compete for championships year after year. Dominik has said that he has used New England, Philly and Indy as models. None of these 3 teams have ever invested that kind of money in a player unless he was the franchise QB.

Although not a CB, NE overpaid for Adalius Thomas (7 yrs, $35M) in 2007, the Eagles paid Asante Samuel (6 yrs, $57.14M) in 2008 and Indy overpaid for Kelvin Hayden (5 yrs, $43M) in 2009.  All of those teams have exceptions to their rules.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #184 : July 10, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »

This doesn't change my initial point of $20M per year being the absolute ceiling.  I doubt it gets that high, but extremely unlikely he gets over that.

The Glazers have said that they want to build a lasting contender that can compete for championships year after year. Dominik has said that he has used New England, Philly and Indy as models. None of these 3 teams have ever invested that kind of money in a player unless he was the franchise QB.

Although not a CB, NE overpaid for Adalius Thomas (7 yrs, $35M) in 2007, the Eagles paid Asante Samuel (6 yrs, $57.14M) in 2008 and Indy overpaid for Kelvin Hayden (5 yrs, $43M) in 2009.  All of those teams have exceptions to their rules.

Biggs, the contracts you cited for guys who are overpaid are not even remotely close to the $19-$20/yr mil that Aso is gonna ask for. Secondly, you cannot determine if Indy, Philly and NE overpaid those guys by looking at the "total" contract amounts. You know that most of these contracts never come to full-fruition. They are always back-end loaded, so a decision has to be made a few years down the road to either cut the guy (Philly's preferred method), trade the guy (NE's preferred method) or re-negotiate the contract (Indy's preferred method). You have to look at the guaranteed portion of these salaries, since nothing else really matters. In the case of Thomas, his 5yr contract (not 7 years) only has $20 million guaranteed. Hayden's 5 yr contract only has $22 mil guaranteed and Samuel's 6 yr contract only has $20 mil guaranteed. Aso is asking for the kind of money that only a select few top, elite, franchise QB's are making. I'm sorry but I just do not believe any one player can be that much of a difference maker to command that kind of money unless his name is Manning, Brees or Brady. The Raiders haven't even made a playoff appearance once since he was drafted in 2003. Yes, he is a great player but to tie up over 1/5 of your total salary cap with just one player seems like a long-term formula for disaster to me, especially with a guy who is already over 30 and for a position that really isn't a major deficiency on your current roster.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

« #185 : July 10, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

If we get Aso, that means we gotta get rid of Talib next year.

Care to elaborate on that?
1) Talib will likely put up good #'s
2) His INT's numbers have indicated he is a better ballhawk
3) With 1 and 2 being stated, he's going to be wanting hefty contract.
4) Name a few teams that has paid TWO CB's at least 10m a year each for both CB's. Its never been done before b/c its flat out stupid.

While its likely that Talib puts up good numbers, he's just as likely to be arrested because of his foolish and immature behavior. And while its also likely that he leaves once he's a free agent, i still dont see why we must "get rid of him" as u suggest.
Because signing Talib would be too much $$$$ tied up into ONE position when the offensive line is mediocre at best. And we still not even sure about the LB core after 11. I don't see a #2 CB being more important than improving some areas on the OLINE/LBer positions.

I agree. The Bucs finished 7th in the league in pass defense last season and that was with Jackson, Grimm and Talib missing big chunks of the season. They have also addressed the CB position in the past 2 drafts which tells you which direction they are headed. Morris is a DB coach. I think he is of the mind-set that he can coach up the younger guys to perform at a top level. Where were the Bucs deficient the past few seasons? Run defense and run offense. They have partially addressed the run defense by investing heavily in the d-line the past 2 seasons and they will have to pay handsomely down the road to keep that d-line together if their development comes to fruition. During the last Super Bowl run where was most of the Bucs money tied up? It was in the d-line and I think that Dom is aware of that. What area has been noticeably ignored the past 2 drafts? The answer is the o-line. I think that's the area that the Bucs will either address in free agency and/or future drafts. Also, in an effort to shore up the run defense, the Bucs have shown that they are not afraid to go after a top-level LB who has leadership qualities. Remember them going after Vilma? The ONLY way they will make a play at Aso will be if they have internally made a decision to cut ties with Talib. You will not see both Aso and Talib on the same defense long-term. It just ain't gonna happen.

I wanna argue and dispute your point..... but I can't!
 I'm a big fan of having Aso in Tampa, but I don't believe it is a "do or die" type situation. If we generate a pass rush (and that is a BIG if) our secondary will have more opportunities, with or without Aso.. There seemed to be an emphasis on drafting 'ballhawk-type" DB's the last couple of years, so your theory maybe correct.

When given the the choice between having a Young Great Offensive Line, or a Lock down Secondary..... I think I'd go with the O-Line because I LOVE Freeman so much. His protection is PARAMOUNT to our success. But I still can find very little wrong with having Aso on this roster.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #186 : July 10, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »

If we get Aso, that means we gotta get rid of Talib next year.

Care to elaborate on that?
1) Talib will likely put up good #'s
2) His INT's numbers have indicated he is a better ballhawk
3) With 1 and 2 being stated, he's going to be wanting hefty contract.
4) Name a few teams that has paid TWO CB's at least 10m a year each for both CB's. Its never been done before b/c its flat out stupid.

While its likely that Talib puts up good numbers, he's just as likely to be arrested because of his foolish and immature behavior. And while its also likely that he leaves once he's a free agent, i still dont see why we must "get rid of him" as u suggest.
Because signing Talib would be too much $$$$ tied up into ONE position when the offensive line is mediocre at best. And we still not even sure about the LB core after 11. I don't see a #2 CB being more important than improving some areas on the OLINE/LBer positions.

I agree. The Bucs finished 7th in the league in pass defense last season and that was with Jackson, Grimm and Talib missing big chunks of the season. They have also addressed the CB position in the past 2 drafts which tells you which direction they are headed. Morris is a DB coach. I think he is of the mind-set that he can coach up the younger guys to perform at a top level. Where were the Bucs deficient the past few seasons? Run defense and run offense. They have partially addressed the run defense by investing heavily in the d-line the past 2 seasons and they will have to pay handsomely down the road to keep that d-line together if their development comes to fruition. During the last Super Bowl run where was most of the Bucs money tied up? It was in the d-line and I think that Dom is aware of that. What area has been noticeably ignored the past 2 drafts? The answer is the o-line. I think that's the area that the Bucs will either address in free agency and/or future drafts. Also, in an effort to shore up the run defense, the Bucs have shown that they are not afraid to go after a top-level LB who has leadership qualities. Remember them going after Vilma? The ONLY way they will make a play at Aso will be if they have internally made a decision to cut ties with Talib. You will not see both Aso and Talib on the same defense long-term. It just ain't gonna happen.

I wanna argue and dispute your point..... but I can't!
 I'm a big fan of having Aso in Tampa, but I don't believe it is a "do or die" type situation. If we generate a pass rush (and that is a BIG if) our secondary will have more opportunities, with or without Aso.. There seemed to be an emphasis on drafting 'ballhawk-type" DB's the last couple of years, so your theory maybe correct.

When given the the choice between having a Young Great Offensive Line, or a Lock down Secondary..... I think I'd go with the O-Line because I LOVE Freeman so much. His protection is PARAMOUNT to our success. But I still can find very little wrong with having Aso on this roster.

If Aso was only 26 or 27 years old instead of over 30 and if Barber had already retired and if Talib was either already locked up long-term or cut, then I would probably be singing a different tune about Aso but I just do not see that as a $20 million per year need right now for the team.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #187 : July 10, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »

Sign Joseph for half the money, then sign a couple blue chip O-linemen with the other half.     WINNING !!!

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #188 : July 12, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »

would love to have A.so  but not for 20 mill a year......even 15 is high....but more doable.......the cherry on the sundae for the bucs would be getting Aso or someone very good at c b and 2 stud type A fa olinemen......we all concur on that i'm sure.......a lot will depend on what happens to talib this year......getting Aso would  be a dream  but why not the  bucs for a change instead of some other team..

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #189 : July 12, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »

Tonight on NFL Total Access the Text message  question of the day was about ASO... and who would get him.

The choices were Oakland, Houston, Tampa and Detroit (I think)

Needless to say - Tampa didn't 'win the poll vote.   As a matter of fact, Tampa came in 4th of 4 with 6% of the vote.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

grotesktruth

Starter

« #190 : July 12, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »

voluntary polls r unreliable. Learn stats. Then realize: stats are not reality.

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS!

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #191 : July 14, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »

Hey.... we at least made the top 10 list...   

Dallas #1?  Really?    Redskins?  not a chance.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/2011-nfl-free-agency-top-10-most-likely-landing-spots-for-nnamdi-asomugha/

After a less-than-impressive cornerback class in the 2011 NFL Draft, many teams like the Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions and Houston Texans—just to name a few—will be searching with a set of binoculars for a much-needed upgrade at the position through 2011 NFL Free Agency.

It’s uncertain when teams will be able to make transactions, but we do know they’ll be forced to duke it out in some very stiff competition for top-tier defensive backs when the free agency market is open for business. 

There’s many conscientious corners available that will supply the necessary fix-up like Ike Taylor, Jonathan Joseph and Antonio Cromartie, but there’s only one Nnamdi Asomugha. 

Here’s a countdown of the Top 10 most likely destinations for the star cornerback.

10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are certainly an under-the-radar sleeper in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.  But don’t sleep on the shut-down corner taking his talents to Tampa Bay.  As one of the more creditable Bleacher Report Featured Columnists Eli Marger writes on the topic, “With a bite-sized payroll of $57 million last season, the Bucs can certainly afford to splurge during free agency.  The player that they should target is expensive, elite and could singlehandedly transform the Bucs defense from good to great.  This player is Nnamdi Asomugha.” 

Tampa Bay is also a favorite for ESPN’s Pat Yasinskas. 

Safety Tanard Jackson also happens to be suspended until September for a substance abuse violation and Aqib Talib just can’t stay out of trouble.  Both are likely to never wear pewter and red again.  Furthermore, the NFC South has some pretty lethal receivers and Ronde Barber isn’t getting any younger.

9. New York Jets

Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  At least one of them won’t be receiving a call from the New York Jets front office to come back in 2011. 

If the Jets cut ties with Cromartie, the door is open for Nnamdi Asomugha and quite possibly the greatest cornerback duo in NFL history with Darrelle Revis.  But as Jason La Canfora points out, it’s a “long-shot” for New York to have two corners at the very top of the market. 

8. Seattle Seahawks

Despite having cupcake competition in the passing game in its own division (aside from Larry Fitzgerald, of course) and being widely considered not championship-ready, Seattle should be thrown into the heated conversation of potential destinations for Nnamdi Asomugha.  Why? 

Marcus Trufant, 31, clearly still has some gas in the tank, but is best suited as a solid No. 2 corner, rather than the current leader of the secondary.  Second-year safety and potential superstar Earl Thomas would make the Asomugha addition daunting for opposing offenses.  And the University of California alum is a “west-coast guy.”  But will that be enough? 

7. San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers didn’t really strike gold in the 2011 NFL Draft, but they did find some silver pieces along the way and addressed some gaping holes early with rush-linebacker Aldon Smith and duel-threat quarterback Colin Kaepernick, aka the Transformer, in the first two rounds. 

Secondary-starved San Francisco still needs an answer at strong safety and corner, however.  Signing Nnamdi Asomugha would extricate most of the pass-coverage issues and would give the team some much-needed cap room by having the luxury to cut ties with Nate Clements.  Nevertheless, Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee doesn’t envision the team getting into a high-stakes bidding war for the star corner unless he’s willing to give a “home-town discount.”

6. Oakland Raiders

Will he stay or will he go now?  The possible return of Nnamdi Asomugha to Oakland has been a blazing hot topic since the end of the 2010 NFL Season.  Most of Raider Nation claim Al Davis will pay him and he’ll be back in Silver and Black.  But everyone else is riding on another ship. 

The Raiders selected DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chimdi Chekwa in the middle rounds of the draft and handed Stanford Routt a lucrative deal for a reason.  Moreover, head coach Hue Jackson sounds like he’s been told by higher-ups that the superstar cornerback won’t return in 2011.

5. Washington Redskins

I’m sure there was a time when the Washington Redskins weren’t active in free agency, but it probably dates back to when dinosaurs were still roaming around. 

The ‘Skins have made some successful acquisitions over the years under owner Dan Snyder, but they’ve been far overshadowed by the bad moves.  Nonetheless, Washington has significant cap space and plans to be aggressive once a new CBA is put in place. 

Nnamdi Asomugha probably tops the offseason wish list and would not only give the team excellent bookend corners, but also a breath of fresh air in the locker room.   The question is—how much does the shut-down corner want to play for the rebuilding Redskins, who in my humble opinion, still have a long way to go?

4. Detroit Lions

Nnamdi Asomugha would be match made in heaven for the Detroit Lions.  But the odds are against a deal getting done. 

Serious contenders build through the draft and make smart, frugal moves in free agency.  Jim Schwartz has stuck to this successful strategy and he’s not going to suddenly change the method, no matter how much of an impact Asomugha would provide. 

NFLTouchdown.com’s Detroit Lions Fan Voice and Managing Editor Dean Holden suggests Nnamdi will probably look elsewhere and Detroit will search for someone cheaper.  “Asomugha, ultimately, has the luxury of shopping around for a team that brings the best mix of big money, title chances and desirable location.  As much fun as it is to think the Lions are that team, they’re not.”   

3. Houston Texans

Most Texans beat writers don’t expect Nnamdi Asomugha to sign with Houston because of his sky-scraping price tag.  But I’m not like most beat writers.  Moreover, Andre Johnson, the NFL’s crème de la crème receiver and a good friend of the star corner, has been lobbying to bring his talents to H-Town. 

“I’ve talked to him, and every time I hit him with it, it seems like it’s on his mind,” Johnson told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.  “I don’t even say, ‘Hey what’s up?’  The first thing I say is, ‘What’s up?  Are you coming to Houston?’  What are you going to do?”  He went on to say, “It’s tough [to sell] because everybody wants him.  When you haven’t been in the playoffs, it makes it a little tougher.  But guys also recognize that we’re a team on the rise.  Hopefully, that’ll work out for us, and he’ll be part of the Texans.”

ESPN’s John Clayton believes this is a “no-brainer,” with the “perfect fit coming at the perfect time.”  Clayton added that owner Bob McNair has deep enough pockets to pay him and the addition would help the league’s youngest secondary and allow for more exotic blitz packages. 

With Jacksonville stuck in neutral and Tennessee in transition, it’s time to press on the gas. 

If the team fails to bring in Asomugha, look for a conscientious corner and solid strong safety to be brought in for around the same price.  Ike Taylor, Jonathan Joseph, Dawan Landry, Antonio Cromartie and Roman Harper, among others, are names to remember.

2. Philadelphia Eagles

Andre Johnson isn’t the only star receiver lobbying for the awesome shut-down cornerback.  DeSean Jackson plans to make a recruiting pitch with the fellow Cal alum. 

“During the Pro Bowl, I was actually telling him, ‘Come on man, you know we need you here,” Jackson said.  He concedes that free agency’s top defensive playmaker will have “a lot of options” with “a lot of money on the table.”  “Hopefully he can take a pay cut and come to the Eagles… we have a good chance over here.” 

Pairing Asomugha with Asante would sure be no fun for Tony Romo, Eli Manning and whoever’s taking snaps under center in Washington—for years to come.

1. Dallas Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys just might launch a more aggressive campaign for Nnamdi Asomugha simply to keep him away from landing in enemy hands in Philadelphia, according to Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News. 

It’s no secret that Jerry Jones has some steep pockets and isn’t afraid to open his checkbook and toss money around like confetti.  Terence Newman, 32, needs a future replacement as well. 

But safety could be viewed as a more de rigueur position to address.  Michael Huff played for Rob Ryan for three seasons in Oakland and should become available.  There’s also a hot commodity in DE Cullen Jenkins to consider, too.  Cleaning house by releasing Newman, Mario Barber and Marc Colombo would open up the flood gates, but I wouldn’t take that bet to any casinos. 

An in-state or division rival could easily put forth the most attractive offer, but right now, Dallas looks to have the best cards in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes. 

Verse of This Piece

“Being respected is more important than having great riches.  To be well thought of is better than silver or gold.” —Proverbs 22:1

Other Possible, But Unlikely Destinations

There are 16 teams that I believe have no shot at Nnamdi Asomugha for one reason or another.  This features the New England Patriots (won’t spend the money), Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens (drafted Jimmy Smith), Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Jacksonville Jaguars (not enough of a supporting cast or attention), Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos, New York Giants (enter Prince Amukamara), Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings (rebuilding), Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals (Patrick Peterson and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie).

After unveiling the list of Top 10 potential destinations and 16 sure-fire teams you can scratch out, I thought it would be only fitting to cap it off with the last six teams that have a chance to land the star free agent, but the odds are stacked against them.  I’ll wish them good luck in advance because they’re going to need it if they want him excelling in their defense in 2011.  Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, San Diego, Kansas City, Green Bay and New Orleans, I’m referring to you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #192 : August 02, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

He is worth the money.   He does not break any future chances of signing our own.

is there a contract ceiling in your opinion? 20mil?  25mil?  30mil?  or more?

These are some extreme exaggerations.  What exactly makes you think his contract is going to even approach $20M per year?  The contract Revis held out for was 4 years, $46M - not even $12M a year.

How can you even compare that? That was not an open market bidding. Revis was already under contract. His only options were to continue to hold out, and make nothing, or sign some kind of  "peace offering" with the Jets. Aso is already making more than that now.

Aso ended up getting more than Revis....barely.  5 years, $60M - not even close to the exaggerated numbers above.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #193 : August 02, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

This thread must die!   

:)

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #194 : August 02, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

I said the same thing.

And I still think Aso is ony looking at $12-13 million per season.

in that case, why did he opt out?  wasnt he scheduled to make 16milish this coming season?  if he's willing to take a 4 mil paycut then his possible destinations must be a very short list.
I think he wants to go to a winning team and as a now 30-year-old he thinks he'll be in a better position for his last big contract now than as a 31-year-old next off season. I was always under the impression he got such a higher annual salary in his last contract because it was a premium for staying with such a lousy team and he needed more since it didn't have the long term security. Generally the longer the contract you sign, the lower the annual salary. It's a trade off for more security. Revis' new deal averages $12 million per year and he's a good bit younger. Aso can probably squeeze out more than that, but I don't see the kinds of numbers people on here talk about.

Bucs aren't the only ones looking at Aso.

The price will be astronomical. Expect the bidding to start at 20 and go up from there.
Disagree. Revis is 'only' making $11.5 million per season and he's younger and thus far been more marketable. I have a hard time seeing Aso go over $13 million per year.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 ... 11 12 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Sign Nnamdi Asomugha thread!!! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools