Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: will the lockout finally be lifted for good? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

nitey

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 02, 2011, 09:30:37 AM

More news on the Lockout temporary stay from PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/the-same-judges-will-handle-the-motion-for-a-stay/

JD,

I agree. At this point, I'm not sure it's in the teams best interests to trade JJ right now even if they feel that Carpenter can handle the backup duties or not. With JJ, they have two options that know the system. At this point, I'd rather have the options than the draft choice.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 02, 2011, 09:54:34 AM

If we are going to have anything resembling a normal season this year, the stay has to get removed and the lock out be lifted immediately while we wait for the appeals process. If they grant the permanent stay then the lockout will remain in effect for at least two months while they wait for the court process to go through the motions. That means no rookie camps, no CBAs, no training camp. If the stay is granted and the lockout remains in effect, the best case scenario is having two or three weeks to have some sort of camp, free agency, and maybe one preseason game before the season starts. That would be horrible, especially for teams as young as ours.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 02, 2011, 09:56:20 AM

Albert Breer (on the NFL's filing this morning on the temporary stay) has tweeted that the NFL views that the 8th CC review ruling won't come until late June or July and doesn't offer 'Irreparable' harm to the players as TC and FA could still happen prior to the season. With 2 pro-business judges on the 3 member panel, they feel strongly that the stay will be continued. It is not clear (at least to me) if a simple majority of the 3 judges need to vote to continue the stay or if the decision has to be unanimous.

The decision on the temporary stay is expected within the next 48 hours.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 02, 2011, 09:58:10 AM

So thank Republicans for continuing the lock out?  Go big business! F U little guy! Sounds about right.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 02, 2011, 11:10:46 AM

Okay, to answer my question from above. Only a majority is needed to continue the stay.

Again, per Albert Breer: As PFT pointed out, fair to guess that Judge Bye, the dissenting judge on temp stay, will rule vs. this 1. So players have to sway 1 more.

So of the two pro-business judges, the players need to convince one to change his temporary vote. All of a sudden, I'm not liking the players chances to get the stay overturned. I certainly hope that at least one of the two pro-business judges are moderate enough to reverse the stay and let the CC fully review Nelson's findings and upholding the enjournment.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 02, 2011, 11:52:40 AM

Another PFT update: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/nfl-files-brief-uses-players-words-on-lockout-against-them/

Where I think the NFL is making a mistake is overlooking something that Judge Nelson made very prominent in her judgement. The NFL is saying that the players will not suffer from harm, but they make no note of the other businesses and fans that have a interest in football during the off season. Certainly there are many businesses that depend on the NFL that will continue to suffer harm if the lockout is continued not to mention that the fans interest is important even if our harm is not considered to be irreparable. In the end, the judges should look at whom suffers the least and the most if the lockout is continued. IMO, the league would suffer the least, followed by the players, but dependent businesses and the fans would suffer the most.

If the judges continue the lockout, it's going to be a vastly unpopular decision. I get the feeling that the NFL is overestimating their position and not looking beyond themselves or the players. The players would do well to play up the others that will be harmed by the continued stay.

JMO.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 02, 2011, 12:14:41 PM

I want the lockout lifted, but I honestly don't see irreparable harm if the lockout is lifted July 3 instead of May 3. I think if the stay is denied it will be because the judges already have read Nelson's ruling and are not going to overturn her decision. And that's assuming the same 3 judges will be assigned to that decision (I don't even know if that's how it works).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 02, 2011, 12:18:53 PM

I hope they do stay because I want a resolution now not 2 years from now when the owners might be more desperate.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#23 : May 02, 2011, 01:02:48 PM

The players argue back - "Basically, players argue that Nelson already ruled on "irreparable harm" & NFL's only recourse here is to find "clear error" in her decision'

That might be a good argument, unless that's the 'clear error' that the NFL is going for - still anyone's guess at this point. If the court continues the stay, I bet we won't have anything to discuss until early-mid July as the owners will do what they can to drag out the judgement. If the owners get the upper hand here I doubt we will see a game until a CBA is in place.

JMO.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 02, 2011, 01:13:19 PM

Didn't Scheffer call the 89-page verdict by Nelson "appeal-proof"?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 02, 2011, 01:18:41 PM

Yes, I think that was Judge Nelson's intent, but lets remember that Scheffer is not a lawyer - I think the fact that the temporary stay was granted indicates that it isn't completely appeal proof.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#26 : May 02, 2011, 01:38:03 PM

Until we get a new backup QB, I'd rather keep JJ

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#27 : May 02, 2011, 01:41:09 PM

In concerns of the 8th Circuit, I read somewhere that normally the appeal process takes 2-3 months, but this particular group likes to have their intentions known by around 30 days.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 02, 2011, 03:04:16 PM

Im on pins and needles...any Breaking news?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 02, 2011, 03:20:33 PM

Didn't Scheffer call the 89-page verdict by Nelson "appeal-proof"?

Right now the owners aren't appealing her verdict, just the decision to lift the lockout while the appeal process takes place.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: will the lockout finally be lifted for good? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools