Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Oh Hell......We have our first controversy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« : May 02, 2011, 02:25:41 AM »

Adrian Clayborn, naively perhaps, brought out a cross-sampling of Americans’ feelings about Osama bin Laden’s death
by Mike Hlas  ::  UPDATED: 2 May 2011 | 1:02 am 
Source:    http://smgs.us/6lr

NFL Commish Roger Goodell and Adrian Clayborn (AP photo)

Adrian Clayborn was a lot of things for the Iowa football team the last few years, but cultural commentator wasn’t one of them.

He’s been a good-natured, self-deprecating giant on Twitter since since he fulfilled the last of his duties with the Hawkeyes. Click here for a previous Hlog post on that.

But late Sunday night, with emotions churning across the United States, Clayborn posted this Tweet:

I don’t think celebrating a person death is exactly right. Granted what he put this country. Doesn’t look good tho

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ first-round draft pick of 2011 received a lot of direct responses in a hurry. What he got was, in my opinion, a telling spectrum of Americans’ feelings after President Obama’s announcement of Osama bin Laden’s death. Some of the responses were very favorable to Clayborn, some were understanding but not in total agreement, and some told him he was flat-out wrong. Here is a sampling (I removed Clayborn’s @AJaClay Twitter handle from all the replies.):

cardinalsfan13: that is pathetic tell that to the families of 9/11 have some damn respect

jrlinder22: You’re an enlightened guy Adrian. Good perspective.

Evildoer_Esq: You’d have to consider Bin Laden a person first. He wasn’t a human, no human does what he did. We just de-weeded Earth’s garden.

willisthewall: yeah a lot of mixed emotions but I dont feel too good celebrating this guy’s death, even tho he was pretty evil n stuff

RyanTerrana: I feel you, but you gotta realize everything he did to this country…I lost tons of friends overseas!

swessdawg: I know what you mean. It’s good that he’s been caught but the party atmosphere on tv just seems a bit macabre.

Steve_Liebscher: Normally agree 100%, but this was the Hitler of our generation. Closure for the families of those lost on 9/11 is the key.

HawkeyeFanPete: “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” -Mark Twain.

jerredcook: (Bleep) Osama. I walked thru tower 2 that morning. I am celebrating and will continue to do so with joy.

AliMoonGoddess: better to be thankful source of evil acts has been “neutralized”. It is weird all the big celebrations. We all heal in own ways.

acousticsoup: I agree. It’s not a popular opinion, but I do agree. I think it’s just going to piss off some bad people.

JasonK2868: So let’s celebrate, money and excess of a sports draft, yeeeeas!!!

jwoodard87: you a true hearted human being. People should rejoice and come together to remember the tragedies that were brought 4th. Not party

csully02: we are celebrating the revenge of thousands and thousands of innocent deaths…so celebrate the (bleep) out of this death

KaraRutherford: So many emotions. Joy. Relief. Fear. Sadness. Proud. Closure. And our memories evoke even more. Follow your heart. I get it

naismithJF: You’re not the only one who feels that way.

custovick: just google 9/11 and it will make u feel better

taintsmash12: Just crush some QB’s partna

Twenty-one minutes after his Tweet that started all this and probably overwhelmed him, Clayborn had a follow-up:

no more tweeting about politics anymore. Ima stick to football and jokes. I just think we need to come together in a better way

I hope he doesn’t just stick to football and jokes, even though it would make life easier for him that way. His last sentence was pretty good.

« : May 02, 2011, 02:27:54 AM The-anti-java »

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 02, 2011, 02:52:16 AM »

This is a controversy? He said he didn't want to celebrate the death of a human being. This is a non-story.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 02, 2011, 02:52:41 AM »

I have no problem with what he said.

But I'm celebrating

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 02, 2011, 02:56:08 AM »

This is a controversy? He said he didn't want to celebrate the death of a human being. This is a non-story.

+1.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 02, 2011, 03:01:28 AM »

I see what the kid was saying. Im sure people will spin this in any negative way possible, but I think he was actually meaning something positive out of it and not against our country for killing Ladin.

JDog

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 02, 2011, 03:13:30 AM »

Sounds like he's anti american.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 02, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »

Has nothing to do with the country. Looks to me that his opinion is simply that doesn't celebrate the killing of another person.

If people want to twist it up with there own thoughts, that is there own problem.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 02, 2011, 03:20:18 AM »

I agree with him. It's a bit stupid to celebrate in the streets over this. Fist-pump...high-five...and move on...

All those mid-east propaganda outlets like Al Jazeera will also run the footage 24/7 and make people over there even more angry at us.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 02, 2011, 03:23:44 AM »

Why does everybody continuously make things out to be more than they are? I mean honestly, this world would be a better place if people weren't so concerned with other peoples lives and what they say. Just because someone is put in a spotlight, does not make them any different from you and I. We're all human beings. I'm sure we all have different beliefs. Why can't it end there?

BuccaNova

Starter
« #9 : May 02, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »

I'm glad he's dead. But you don't party when you take out the trash.  If one of our enemies did this we would be all over them for being barbaric.  Being better than your enemies means just that.  It's just the trash. And now it's been taken out.  Good job, troops.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 02, 2011, 03:26:29 AM »

This whole twitter thing is ridiculous. OHHH I gotta see what this person says...Who the hell really cares?

JDog

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 02, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »

I agree with him. It's a bit stupid to celebrate in the streets over this. Fist-pump...high-five...and move on...

It's ridiculous and an embarrassment to our country.   

JereLinc

Rookie
« #12 : May 02, 2011, 04:00:27 AM »

I'm glad he's dead. But you don't party when you take out the trash.  If one of our enemies did this we would be all over them for being barbaric.  Being better than your enemies means just that.  It's just the trash. And now it's been taken out.  Good job, troops.
This. Exactly. The troops and intelligence agencies and everyone involved did a good job in finally nailing him, but we can't allow ourselves to party in the streets. The ideological threat remains, and one of the biggest problems remaining now is to prevent him from becoming a martyr, inflicting collateral damage onto our people stationed overseas.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 02, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »

I have nothing wrong with this at all. I'm glad the guy is dead and gone. Hope he has a very uncomfortable room in hell. But I'm not going to run out in the streets and celebrate as some of those idiots pictured outside the White House last night. That's just crazy.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
« #14 : May 02, 2011, 05:24:33 AM »

bullg8rdaddy
@bullg8rdaddy bullg8rdaddy
@AJaClay Do your thing, man. Don't let people tell you what you can or can't say. This coming from a former Marine.
4 hours ago via web

The quest for .500 begins...
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Oh Hell......We have our first controversy « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools