Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 02, 2011, 05:13:45 PM

Mason Foster is going to be pretty good I think. He can tackle better then Ruud.
I'm not a Ruud slurper by any means but come on.  he was one of the most prolific tacklers in cfb history and has been one of the leaders in tackles at the NFL level for several years.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 02, 2011, 05:17:40 PM

Foster is a better tacklers than Hayes. That's all we need.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 02, 2011, 05:17:52 PM

Really like the tape I've seen on Foster. It'll be very interesting to see if he ultimately lines up on the weakside to challenge Hayes or in the middle. Depending on how long the lockout goes on, I have to believe that McKenzie has got the best shot at playing the middle and calling the defense and that Foster will play on the weakside and either Black or Watson over on the strong side. I just don't think Foster can come in without seeing the playbook and play the middle and call defenses.

At least that's how I see it shaking out at the moment.

Ya McKenzie has already been here for a while so he knows what we are doing a little bit better. Not to say that hes the man to run the middle but the Bucs were very high on him as a MLB. I dunno, maybe Foster will be the MLB. Who knows!

I don't see him at MLB this year unless the WILL gets the radio helmet and that would only happen if McKenzie or Ruud is moved to WILL. And I doubt we re-sign Ruud, some other 4-3 team will offer him more than MD is willing to pay (which is not much)

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 02, 2011, 05:19:32 PM

Cowherd also didn't like the Pats draft and made fun of some of Seattle's picks.
I would agree with both those points.
Belichick has a once in a franchise type of player in Brady, who only has 5 years left tops, and he keeps playing it safe and trading down and picking up a bunch of JAGs and getting extra draft picks for the following year.  They need to try and win now before it's too late and the  Ryan Mallet era begins.  Other than Brady, the "genius" won his 3 SBs mostly with guys he inherited or picked up as FAs.  I hated their draft but that's ok.  I hate the Patriots.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 02, 2011, 05:23:20 PM

Cowherd also didn't like the Pats draft and made fun of some of Seattle's picks.
Belichick has a once in a franchise type of player in Brady, who only has 5 years left tops, and he keeps playing it safe and trading down and picking up a bunch of JAGs and getting extra draft picks for the following year.  They need to try and win now before it's too late and the  Ryan Mallet era begins.  Other than Brady, the "genius" won his 3 SBs mostly with guys he inherited or picked up as FAs.  I hated their draft but that's ok.  I hate the Patriots.
Yeah Belichick got a few great players in the beginning other than Brady like Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, and a few others, but the well really ran dry from about 2006 on. They've gotten to the point where they're outsmarting themselves continually picking up solid depth level players and missing out on the studs. Can you imagine of they would have picked DeAngelo Williams instead of Laurence Maroney and Clay Matthews instead of whoever they traded down for? They'd be unstoppable.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 02, 2011, 05:25:24 PM

The guy knows how to rebuild and contend at the same time. He's already revamped their secondary and LB core that was once Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Vrabel, and Bruschi, etc......They drafted themselves a pro bowl rookie CB in Devin McCourtey last year. Patrick Chung played well in the box last year. Mayo is a beast and Spikes was okay last year.

Until they get a dominant edge rusher though like they had in Willie McGinnist they'll never see a SB again.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#21 : May 02, 2011, 05:48:44 PM

I'm a big Foster fan as well

Madman

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 02, 2011, 06:48:10 PM

Anyone else see Nick Saban shaking his head when Seattle picked James Carpenter (Alabama T) in the first round? Saban looked baffled. That can't feel good for Hawk fan.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 03, 2011, 12:23:48 AM

The Bucs keep drafting talented second- or third-day guys from some good football programs--guys who really stand out on tape. They may not have prototypical size or speed, but they're instinctive football players.

Dekota Watson and Cody Grimm last year, then Foster and Black this year. At some point, one or more of these guys are going to come through in a big way.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 03, 2011, 01:21:27 AM

I like Foster a lot, but I'll be very surprised if they are even considering him at Will. We need our Will to be the fastest LB on the field and Foster just isn't fast. He's smart, tackles well, sheds blocks, pretty good in coverage, and is very physical....but fast he is not. I think he was drafted to play Mike or Sam...and since we have been grooming Watson to play Sam, he's probably going to be our new Mike. Or at least compete with Heyward and McKenzie for the starting spot.

I think, unfortunately, Geno will get the Will starting spot handed to him unchallenged for one more year....unless we sign Justin Durant or someone like him. I'd actually like to see Quincy Black get a shot at Will.
: May 03, 2011, 01:23:42 AM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

flash_kiley

Second String

#25 : May 03, 2011, 02:01:34 AM

Foster looks like exactly what our linebacking core needs. Shoot gaps better than Hayes, with the instincts better than Ruud, and blitzes better than Black. Haha

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 03, 2011, 02:22:01 AM

Foster looks like exactly what our linebacking core needs. Shoot gaps better than Hayes, with the instincts better than Ruud, and blitzes better than Black. Haha

Can we clone him to play all 3 LB positions then?  I say resign Ruud, move Hayes to the strong side and insert Foster as weakside LB.  IMO

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 03, 2011, 02:45:40 AM

Foster is strong and physical but not very athletic or fast. I wouldn't want him at all three spots...but I think he'll be ok at one!   ;)

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 03, 2011, 08:20:14 AM

re-sign hayward and plug him in at MLB.  he knows the D and is a hardnosed guy.  sign tulloch, one of the charger MLBs, zac diles, or someone else to compete.  put foster at SLB vs. watson.  have mckenzie and hayes at WLB.  pick up herzlich and harvey for depth.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 03, 2011, 08:23:13 AM

I like Foster a lot, but I'll be very surprised if they are even considering him at Will. We need our Will to be the fastest LB on the field and Foster just isn't fast. He's smart, tackles well, sheds blocks, pretty good in coverage, and is very physical....but fast he is not. I think he was drafted to play Mike or Sam...and since we have been grooming Watson to play Sam, he's probably going to be our new Mike. Or at least compete with Heyward and McKenzie for the starting spot.

I think, unfortunately, Geno will get the Will starting spot handed to him unchallenged for one more year....unless we sign Justin Durant or someone like him. I'd actually like to see Quincy Black get a shot at Will.
I have no idea how this may or may not translate to the field, but Foster ran the exact same 40 time at the Combine that Lance Briggs ran in 2003, and Briggs has been generally regarded as the best WLB in the game since Derrick Brooks declined.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools