Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 03, 2011, 09:07:59 AM

It took Briggs a few years to develop into the player he is. I like the Foster pick, but it's not like he has Derrick Brook's speed to make up for mis-steps he is going to take his rookie year. The Bucs would be well served to sign one of the many potential free agents or let Ruud man the middle one more year if we're playing under 2010 rules.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 03, 2011, 09:32:48 AM

It took Briggs a few years to develop into the player he is. I like the Foster pick, but it's not like he has Derrick Brook's speed to make up for mis-steps he is going to take his rookie year. The Bucs would be well served to sign one of the many potential free agents or let Ruud man the middle one more year if we're playing under 2010 rules.
Maybe so, but Briggs didn't develop on the bench. He started 13 games as a rookie 3rd round pick. And Ruud has his 6 years. He's a true unrestricted free agent.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

obuc

Starter

#32 : May 03, 2011, 10:12:00 AM

She said "No" but Mason Foster.

I know, stupid. who cares.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 03, 2011, 01:52:25 PM

I don't see Foster as a Will. Given the situation, maybe he could split time with Watson at the SAM position this year and let Hayward and MacKenzie fight for the MLB position since they are familiar with the system. He will get cross trained during the season, and then next year we could explore the option of moving him inside.

Geno Hayes should be the starting WLB IMO. Geno is a great fit at Will for us, he is just inconsistent. I just don't see any other options there currently on the roster.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 03, 2011, 01:56:33 PM

I fail to see how a 215lbs linebacker is a good fit for us. Geno is a slow safety with bad hands. It's time to stop pretending he is a linebacker.

tanardtokerjackson

Second String

#35 : May 03, 2011, 02:19:18 PM

Geno is hit or miss as a LB.  One play he meets the RB 5 yards in the backfield, and on the very next play he guesses wrong and its a 10yard gain.  He teases you with his ability to blow up run plays and then comes back down to earth when he guesses wrong. 

I like the fact that we are moving away from the undersized front 7. Its frustrating to see Geno fill the hole only to get trucked because of his small build/arms. 

Its funny to think about that Patrick Peterson weighs as much as one of our starting LBs. 

Hopefully by the end of the year Geno becomes more of a situational LBer to come in on pass plays. 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 03, 2011, 05:50:23 PM

Geno is consistently inconsistent. To sit here and say, he should be given the WLB position is just stupid. What in his game does he do consistently? He isn't sound in his gap, he isn't a sound tackler, he doesn't shed blocks well at the POA. Foster is better in just about every aspect, its definitely his job to lose. You don't need Brooks type athletic ability to be a good WLB in the NFL. Look at Chad Greenway from the Vikings. Not an impressive athlete but he does the little things well that make that run defense tough to run on. Foster will VASTLY improve the run defense and make it harder to run against us. Hayes will be on the bench and will spell Mason Foster. Hayes could be used in passing situations because he at this point is more advanced in that regard. But again, I rather have Foster on the field because you don't get better watching and sucking air on the sidelines.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 03, 2011, 06:30:12 PM

I don't see Foster as a Will.

Why not? Most NFL scouts have suggested that it's the best fit for his skill set.

Given the situation, maybe he could split time with Watson at the SAM position this year and let Hayward and MacKenzie fight for the MLB position since they are familiar with the system. He will get cross trained during the season, and then next year we could explore the option of moving him inside.

McKenzie is my favorite to win the job should Ruud walk, but for the life of me I don't get why anybody thinks Adam Hayward is a starting caliber LB.

Geno Hayes should be the starting WLB IMO. Geno is a great fit at Will for us, he is just inconsistent. I just don't see any other options there currently on the roster.

Lord I hope not. Geno blows.

cylobuc

Rookie
#38 : May 03, 2011, 06:58:16 PM

"I didn't work out for them at all," the former Washington linebacker said. "I met them at the Senior Bowl and that was about it.

Seattle Times
Full article
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootball/2014915647_draftlocals30.html?prmid=head_main

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 03, 2011, 07:01:07 PM

I like Foster a lot, but I'll be very surprised if they are even considering him at Will. We need our Will to be the fastest LB on the field and Foster just isn't fast. He's smart, tackles well, sheds blocks, pretty good in coverage, and is very physical....but fast he is not.

I think, unfortunately, Geno will get the Will starting spot handed to him unchallenged for one more year....

I agree. Before we get all excited and want to start 3 LB's who have never played a snap of NFL football, we may want to all step back and look at reality. Reality is that Geno Hayes is likely going to be the Will. Not because he is great. Because he will be better than anyone else currently on the roster, and he has shown the ability to go out and take over a game. None of our other LB's under contract have even played a full game. Be careful what you wish for folks. I embrace the youth movement as much as anyone, but NO.

Think about it. Some people want Foster at Will, MacKenzie at MLB and Watson at SAM. THAT'S ZERO experience folks. No can do. It will not happen. I'm willing to bet anyone who disagrees. Dominik didn't have these good drafts as a fluke. He has intelligence.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 03, 2011, 07:09:31 PM

Watson has some experience and didn't miss a beat when he replaced Black last year. I think he's ready to start at Sam.

I think we need to sign Justin Durant to play MLB for us this year. He has plenty of experience in the 4-3 at Will and Mike.

Geno probably will keep his job, but I hope anyone and everyone on the roster gets an honest shot at competing for the WLB spot before it's just handed to Geno again.

Foster, McKenzie, and maybe Harvey if we sign him should be special teams and back ups unless one of them can unseat Geno. They'll probably get thrown in at some point this year anyways due to injuries.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 03, 2011, 07:17:12 PM

Watson has some experience and didn't miss a beat when he replaced Black last year. I think he's ready to start at Sam.

I think we need to sign Justin Durant to play MLB for us this year. He has plenty of experience in the 4-3 at Will and Mike.

Geno probably will keep his job, but I hope anyone and everyone on the roster gets an honest shot at competing for the WLB spot before it's just handed to Geno again.

Foster, McKenzie, and maybe Harvey if we sign him should be special teams and back ups unless one of them can unseat Geno. They'll probably get thrown in at some point this year anyways due to injuries.

Agree about Watson. I like him better than Black, who has never impressed me, even as Rah was singing his praises last year. What was Rah looking at?

If we do sign a vet MLB, or even god forbid, we re-sign Ruud as MLB, then I would be willing to bet that Geno has to earn his spot. As it is, if he is the only truly experienced veteran returning to our LB corps than I am willing to bet, almost guarantee he is handed the job. Geno has one year to prove he can be great all the time, or else he won't be around. He has shown greatness at the end of each of the last two seasons, but he has been too inconsistent in between.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 03, 2011, 09:14:42 PM

I see what you are saying, but this regime has already shown they aren't afraid to break the rules when it comes to starting young players. I think as long as we have good coaching, McKenzie, Foster, Watson, Hayward, and hopefully Harvey could play just as well as Hayes, Black, and Ruud have the past two years. Our linebacker play has been dreadful. Young guys would have mental breakdowns, but so do our current LB corp. It really can't get much worse. The young guys might struggle early, but I'm betting by mid season they would be just fine and probably be outplaying Ruud, Black, and Hayes by year's end. I don't doubt for a minute that Raheem would start all young guys either. Just depends on how these guys look in camp.

For the record Hayward is a 5th year guy, McKenzie is a 3rd year guy, and Watson is in year two....so it's not like they are all rookies.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 03, 2011, 09:20:39 PM

Our linebacker play has been dreadful. Young guys would have mental breakdowns, but so do our current LB corp. It really can't get much worse.

+1

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 03, 2011, 09:28:36 PM

We definitely need a talent upgrade at LB over what we had last year, there is no debate about that. Hopefully, Foster is the first piece to that puzzle. And hopefully between McKenzie, Hayward, and Watson, we will find another piece. That would leave just one more hole to plug. Travis Lewis-LB Oklahoma in next year's draft. Is he on your top-50 yet?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools