Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #45 : May 03, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »

My top 50? lol I'm still focused on the undrafted guys from this year's draft that were on my top 50. I think there could still be a gem to be had. Mario Harvey and Mike Gee top my list. I don't know if Herzlich fits our defense, but I sure like that guy too.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #46 : May 03, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »

I like Foster a lot, but I'll be very surprised if they are even considering him at Will. We need our Will to be the fastest LB on the field and Foster just isn't fast. He's smart, tackles well, sheds blocks, pretty good in coverage, and is very physical....but fast he is not.

I think, unfortunately, Geno will get the Will starting spot handed to him unchallenged for one more year....

I agree. Before we get all excited and want to start 3 LB's who have never played a snap of NFL football, we may want to all step back and look at reality. Reality is that Geno Hayes is likely going to be the Will. Not because he is great. Because he will be better than anyone else currently on the roster, and he has shown the ability to go out and take over a game. None of our other LB's under contract have even played a full game. Be careful what you wish for folks. I embrace the youth movement as much as anyone, but NO.

Think about it. Some people want Foster at Will, MacKenzie at MLB and Watson at SAM. THAT'S ZERO experience folks. No can do. It will not happen. I'm willing to bet anyone who disagrees. Dominik didn't have these good drafts as a fluke. He has intelligence.

Since when do you have to be a track star to play WILL LB? Being fast is all fine and good, but you have to be able to get off blocks, take good angles, and tackle people too. I have absolutely no clue where you guys are getting this idea that Foster can't play Will LB for us. Not only has just about every scouting report I've read on the guy say that he has the ideal skill set to play weakside LB in the 4-3, but Morris has also stated Foster may compete for Will LB this season as well.

The bottom line is that I think the chance that the Bucs bring in a vet LB to play the middle this season should Ruud walk is slim to none. If Ruud is not retained, Morris will groom either Ty McKenzie or Mason Foster to play the middle, and if McKenzie wins the job at MIKE, Foster will be the starter at WILL. It's the position most scouts see as the best fit for him, and he will likely be our best LB next season, and you don't start your best LB at the SAM in Raheem Morris' defense. His scheme is built around the WILL. Mark my words folks, that is the way it's going to shape up.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #47 : May 03, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »

Morris has also stated Foster may compete for Will LB this season as well.
where did he say that?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #48 : May 04, 2011, 12:11:06 AM »

Morris has also stated Foster may compete for Will LB this season as well.
where did he say that?

"He plays inside a little bit," Morris said. "Legitimately, you could see Mason Foster playing the (strongside) position, he can play rush end, you could see him play inside backer, you could see him play the weakside linebacker. He legitimately did it all in college on tape and that was really intriguing to us because of the uncertainty." - Raheem Morris.

Also...

With the 84th overall pick of the 2011 draft, the Buccaneers have selected Mason Foster. In the third round this linebacker out of Washington represented tremendous value. He's not the best athlete at the position, and he's not a pass rusher, but he's one of the most instinctive linebackers in the draft. He is constantly around the ball, does a good job getting around blocks, tackles well and always finds the football. He's a linebacker you can plug in and not worry about for the next 10 years. He can play both inside and outside, but because he isn't a good pass rusher he'd likely play Middle Linebacker or Weak Side Linebacker for the Buccaneers.

http://www.bucnews.com/2011/04/29/buccaneers-2011-draft-picks-tampa-bay-takes-mason-foster-in-the-third-round/

and...

Many teams project Foster to be a Will (weakside) linebacker in a 4-3 defense like the Buccaneers. Foster also could stay at middle linebacker. If Ruud is not re-signed Foster will likely be placed late middle linebacker. If Tampa Bay brings Ruud back, Foster could serve as competition for Geno Hayes at Will linebacker or at Sam linebacker with Black and second-year pro Dekoda Watson.

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php?action=post;quote=1360546;topic=1280472.45;num_replies=47;sesc=575c67687f03601ef6278a7c9a56f673

and...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Lance Briggs didn’t have the “timed speed” to be a great fit at the Tampa 2, but has actually excelled in the system where his instincts and hustle find him involved in a lot of plays, this too may be true for Mason Foster.

http://nflmocks.com/2011/02/06/7648/

and...

Has an ideal frame to play weakside linebacker in several schemes, excellent bulk, plays bigger than listed size...

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/olb/mason-foster.shtml

also...

"I think he's in space. He's an outside linebacker at the NFL level, more than likely a weakside linebacker where you funnel the play to, where you get him out there, where he reads, where he recognizes, where those instincts take form."

http://mynorthwest.com/category/brock_and_salk_blog/20110125/Blue-88:-Mason-Foster-fits-better-at-OLB/
« : May 04, 2011, 12:15:49 AM CBWx2 »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #49 : May 04, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »

Oh, forgot this one...

Foster's best seasons have come at weakside linebacker. He had 105 tackles as a sophomore at that position, and after a year at middle linebacker, he was second in the nation in average tackles per game his senior year (12.58).

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/tampa-bay-bucs-third-round-draft-pick-mason-foster-says-hes-a-longtime-fan/1166980

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #50 : May 04, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »

bust

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #51 : May 04, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »

The bottom line is that I think the chance that the Bucs bring in a vet LB to play the middle this season should Ruud walk is slim to none. If Ruud is not retained, Morris will groom either Ty McKenzie or Mason Foster to play the middle, and if McKenzie wins the job at MIKE, Foster will be the starter at WILL. It's the position most scouts see as the best fit for him, and he will likely be our best LB next season, and you don't start your best LB at the SAM in Raheem Morris' defense. His scheme is built around the WILL. Mark my words folks, that is the way it's going to shape up.

your words could easily be true, but i would like a veteran at MLB...at least as a backup in case mckenzie is injured or doesnt cut it.  not sure how raheem/dominik feel.  i do know that while we all dislike ruud as fans, the coaches trust him on the field.

and if the scheme is built around the will, why wasnt quincy black playing will?  i know monte's D was based on the will, but is raheems really?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #52 : May 04, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »

and if the scheme is built around the will, why wasnt quincy black playing will?  i know monte's D was based on the will, but is raheems really?
Because Black is the only LB with the size to play in traffic at SLB.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #53 : May 04, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »

Oh, forgot this one...

Foster's best seasons have come at weakside linebacker. He had 105 tackles as a sophomore at that position, and after a year at middle linebacker, he was second in the nation in average tackles per game his senior year (12.58).

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/tampa-bay-bucs-third-round-draft-pick-mason-foster-says-hes-a-longtime-fan/1166980

If by "best" you mean most tackles that's true. But in 2009, when he was a MLB, he forced 6 fumbles and had 3 interception and a game winning TD.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #54 : May 04, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »

No, it's because Black has the worst instinct of all of our LB's.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #55 : May 04, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »

No, it's because Black has the worst instinct of all of our LB's.
That, too.  :)

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #56 : May 04, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »

I like Foster a lot, but I'll be very surprised if they are even considering him at Will. We need our Will to be the fastest LB on the field and Foster just isn't fast. He's smart, tackles well, sheds blocks, pretty good in coverage, and is very physical....but fast he is not.

I think, unfortunately, Geno will get the Will starting spot handed to him unchallenged for one more year....

I agree. Before we get all excited and want to start 3 LB's who have never played a snap of NFL football, we may want to all step back and look at reality. Reality is that Geno Hayes is likely going to be the Will. Not because he is great. Because he will be better than anyone else currently on the roster, and he has shown the ability to go out and take over a game. None of our other LB's under contract have even played a full game. Be careful what you wish for folks. I embrace the youth movement as much as anyone, but NO.

Think about it. Some people want Foster at Will, MacKenzie at MLB and Watson at SAM. THAT'S ZERO experience folks. No can do. It will not happen. I'm willing to bet anyone who disagrees. Dominik didn't have these good drafts as a fluke. He has intelligence.

Since when do you have to be a track star to play WILL LB? Being fast is all fine and good, but you have to be able to get off blocks, take good angles, and tackle people too. I have absolutely no clue where you guys are getting this idea that Foster can't play Will LB for us. Not only has just about every scouting report I've read on the guy say that he has the ideal skill set to play weakside LB in the 4-3, but Morris has also stated Foster may compete for Will LB this season as well.

+1
Keith Bulluck isn't a great athlete himself but he's been a cornerstone for the Titans for a very long time. I think Foster is capable of turning out to be in the mold of him.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools