Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Black be any better than Will Allen « previous next »
Page: 1 2

kbl117

Starter

: May 02, 2011, 12:34:35 PM

Let me say I hate the Gators and rarely watch them, I know a little about Black but not much. I remember when we took Will Allen in round 4 a few years back and everyoen was optimistic that he could grow into a quality starter. He was a guy who made BIG PLAYS at Ohio State in big games, including the national championship. People thought Allen had qood football qualities and intangibles, and ultimately all that ever ended up meaning was that he was a quality special teamer only capable of being a fill in at safety.

is the Ahmad Black hype warranted? do those of you who have seen him more than me really believe he has the potential to play on anything but special teams, or is everyone just getting caught up in a few big plays in college that wont transition to NFL success?

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 02, 2011, 12:35:53 PM

Coming from a buckeye fan Black > Allen.. Easily

JakeBucFan85

Rookie

#2 : May 02, 2011, 12:37:59 PM

Its warranted. He is a hometown guy and he stayed in Florida and has the stats and has the wins (BCS Title) to back it up. Not to mention his last play as a Gator was a INT for a TD in a bowl game in Tampa. You could not have a calling card more awesome then that concerning the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Plus he's a Cody Grimm type. Undersized but at the end of the day, its not about whose the better athlete, its whose the better football player. We aren't drafting athletes, we are drafting football players.

kbl117

Starter

#3 : May 02, 2011, 12:45:24 PM

Its warranted. He is a hometown guy and he stayed in Florida and has the stats and has the wins (BCS Title) to back it up. Not to mention his last play as a Gator was a INT for a TD in a bowl game in Tampa. You could not have a calling card more awesome then that concerning the Tampa Bay Bucs.

None of this applies to whether he will be a good NFLer, it pretty much feeds into the hype that makes me think its possible he is Will Allen 2.0

Plus he's a Cody Grimm type. Undersized but at the end of the day, its not about whose the better athlete, its whose the better football player. We aren't drafting athletes, we are drafting football players.

Again, the same was said for Will Allen

I dont know nearly enough to label Black as Will Allen 2.0, just asking. Also, if he is just Will Allen 2.0 I wont consider it a wasted pick at all, but Im just curious

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 02, 2011, 12:47:26 PM

He knows who he is and I like that about him.

ahmadblack35 Ahmad Black
Lol I guess in college football u dont have to be good at all..just play sorry and run a good 40, that's all that matters lol
28 Apr

ahmadblack35 Ahmad Black
Haha I think it's funny I keep hearing I'm too short to play in the NFL but I had the highest vertical among the safeties..crazy huh smh
28 Apr

kbl117

Starter

#5 : May 02, 2011, 12:49:25 PM

I love the confidence!

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 02, 2011, 01:05:21 PM

While I would LOVE if Black turns into a quality starter and I hope that he will, I will not be upset if we picked up a special teams captain (a la the Will Allen comparison) is the 5th round.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

-ts

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 02, 2011, 01:37:52 PM

I would take Will Allen 2.0 out of a 5th rounder. Special Teams ace and good back up at FS.

Seriously, if that is the worst this guy could do he would still be an excellent pick.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 02, 2011, 02:38:59 PM

I would take Will Allen 2.0 out of a 5th rounder. Special Teams ace and good back up at FS.

Seriously, if that is the worst this guy could do he would still be an excellent pick.

Getting a back-up/special teams ace in the 5th round is a win.  Will Allen was one of Allen/Gruden's better picks, unfortunately.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 02, 2011, 03:02:34 PM

Will Allen was a respectable player for us. Carolina's Steve Smith remembers him well, I'm sure ;D ;D Black will be fine with us; way too early to compare...

Ju1ce

Starter

#10 : May 02, 2011, 08:04:47 PM

I would be genuinely upset if Black wasn't starting for this defense within the next 3 years.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 02, 2011, 08:06:25 PM

Personally, I think he's an upgrade over Sean "Ghost" Jones. Black is ALWAYS around the ball, doesn't tackle high, and has good hands. I think he'll start opening day to be quite frank.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 02, 2011, 08:07:34 PM

If there is one area that we are all comfortable in regards to Raheem Morris, is his ability to coach secondary players.  He is damned good at that!

So while I think Black is an adequate back up for life type, I am cool with that.

I think Tanard stays, and pairs up with Grimm, and between Black and Jones, we have a nice stable of safeties when one of them goes down.  Or IF one of them goes down...

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 02, 2011, 08:08:55 PM

Black is a better tackler than Jackson. Barring injuries, he should start all 16 games at FS.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 02, 2011, 08:11:45 PM

Black is a better tackler than Jackson. Barring injuries, he should start all 16 games at FS.
  And while he may miss some, Tanard is a good football player.

He will be back, and will get the starting nod, before too long.  I like him in coverage, he makes a mistake once in a while...but he is a good ballhawk.  And Black hasn't done anything at the NFL level yet, so I'll wait and see.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Black be any better than Will Allen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools