Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Ingram ambushed by Suzy Kolber? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 02, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »

Source:    PFT

After making Mark Ingram cry, Suzy Kolber takes some criticism
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 2, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT

Mark Ingram was one of the most-watched players at this year’s NFL draft, as a well-known Heisman Trophy winner from Alabama who stayed in the green room longer than expected before the New Orleans Saints finally picked him at No. 28. But what really has people talking after the draft is the interview Ingram gave to ESPN’s Suzy Kolber minutes after his name was called.

Ingram’s father, also named Mark Ingram, was also the 28th pick in the NFL draft, in 1987. But Ingram Sr. couldn’t be there with his son on Thursday night because he’s serving time in prison for money laundering and fraud. Kolber had corresponded with Ingram Sr. prior to the draft, and she read Ingram Jr. an e-mail from his father while they stood on the stage at Radio City Music Hall. Hearing what his father had to say left Ingram Jr. sobbing, and he couldn’t continue the interview.

To some, it was a powerful moment of raw emotion. To others, it was manipulative. Author and Sports Illustrated writer Jeff Pearlman wrote on his blog that he thought ESPN had crossed a line with the interview.

“You don’t spring this sort of letter upon a 21-year-old kid on national TV,” Pearlman wrote. “It might make for great viewing, but it’s dishonest, dishonorable and wrong. This is the life he’s been handed—a father behind bars; trying to overcome that and somehow get past it. He should be celebrated. Not exploited.”

Pearlman was joined by, among others, Pete Prisco of CBS, who called Kolber’s interview “an ambush of sorts.” Florio mentioned to me that Kolber used the same perky nonchalance when asking Patriots lineman Marcus Cannon about his cancer diagnosis.

Toni Monkovic has video at the New York Times‘ Fifth Down blog of Kolber’s interview, which has been one of the most-discussed moments of the NFL draft. From the perspective of the folks in Bristol, the mere fact that it’s being discussed may mean the interview was a hit.

ESPN’s Jay Rothman told Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated that he thought Kolber’s interview was not manipulative in the least.

“There was not an iota of that at all,” Rothman said. “It was more from the perspective of being able to celebrate, knowing the story and knowing what a great kid he was. I’m a proud parent and many of us here are, and it was an opportunity to share a special moment with a kid. There was no contrived or manufactured intent. That was never the thinking. It was a more of a heartfelt thing and genuine. We were not trying to be disingenuous and manufactured. . . . I think the dad wanted that read to him.”

So as far as ESPN is concerned, Kolber did what she was supposed to do. Even if it looked a little like Kevin Nealon as Bob Waltman on Saturday Night Live.

« : May 02, 2011, 03:04:28 PM michael89156 »

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 02, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »

I agree she took advantage of the situation a bit but if he's going to be in the NFL he'd better get used to it.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 02, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

I liked it.  I don't really see anything wrong with the situation, but thats just me.

JakeBucFan85

Rookie

« #3 : May 02, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »

Overly sensitive whiners make a big deal out of this. Big deal. I don't care either way. Hes the enemy to me.

Have fun running past our DL Ingram. Doubt you are going to enjoy it.

bucs63

Starter

« #4 : May 02, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »

Oh Suzy, I want to kiss you!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 02, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »

Oh Suzy, I want to kiss you!

Go away Joe, you should be on the Jets board, not here.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 02, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

You don’t spring this sort of letter upon a 21-year-old kid on national TV,” Pearlman wrote. “It might make for great viewing, but it’s dishonest, dishonorable and wrong. This is the life he’s been handed—a father behind bars; trying to overcome that and somehow get past it. He should be celebrated. Not exploited.”

Agreed. Shameless reporting. When will they release what a bunch of **CENSORED**s that they are?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 02, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »

Didn't his Dad ask her to read it to him?

If he didn't want her to do that he wouldn't have sent that to a reporter, he could of sent it to another one of Ingram's family members to be read in private.

Media is blowing this up

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 02, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

why is ingrams dad emailing suzy kolber?  why doesnt he know his own sons email?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 02, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »

Sactobuc

Starter

« #10 : May 02, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

Ingram Jr. didn't seem to feel offended, so why should anyone else.  He seemed to take it in stride, and when he cleared his initial emotions, he gave a stellar response and I'm proud of him for being professional and personal at the same time.  IMO, nothing wrong with it at all.....

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"They thought it was the end of the world, The day they heard the pirates sing-But the only treasure for a Buccaneer, Is a Super Bowl Ring\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 02, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »

It was a touching moment for certain.

But during the draft, the machismo in me said, "I'm reeeeiotch biotch!"

Great moment though.  Really sobering moment.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 02, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »

If Jaws or Adam Schefter were to do that they be applauded. Kolber does it and gets slammed. It's sports journislm. It was a letter from a father who couldn't be there for his son on a very-big day.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 02, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

I have no issues with Suzy Kolber...except she has the eyes of a mole.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 02, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »

She's a slut. Gruden smashed on the set.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Ingram ambushed by Suzy Kolber? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools