Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Four Alternatives to Nnamdi Asomugha « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#45 : May 11, 2011, 09:15:15 AM

the only thing that rules out asomugha imo will be his salary.  while many think its possible, i dont think team chemistry could handle the massive discrepancy in what our current players are making vs. what, 18mil per?
I understand your point and generally agree those things need to be considered, but don't think in this situation it would be a big deal. I mean Gerald McCoy was making like $10 million last year while everyone else on the d-line was making $500k-2m, and he had never played a snap before. In the secondary, we don't have any young players legitimately expecting a big payday soon to upset. Barber is making what he's making as a vet but Biggers and Lewis are first year players and Talib isn't in a position to be complaining about anything. I think wide receiver and running back are the two spots you wouldn't want to give a veteran role player decent money because Mike Williams and Blount are clearly the stars and not making much money by NFL standards.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#46 : May 11, 2011, 11:25:00 AM

99.9% guaranteed Nnamdi will be a Buc when/ if the season starts (pretty reliable source). He loves Rah and the direction the team is going. Just gotta hope the Glazers will
give up the coin. Which I think they'll pay to add a high character shut down corner. It's a no brainer.

I wish I believed everything I read...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#47 : May 11, 2011, 01:09:33 PM

99.9% guaranteed Nnamdi will be a Buc when/ if the season starts (pretty reliable source). He loves Rah and the direction the team is going. Just gotta hope the Glazers will
give up the coin. Which I think they'll pay to add a high character shut down corner. It's a no brainer.

can you elaborate on this?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bashear

Hall of Famer

#48 : May 11, 2011, 01:13:01 PM

can you elaborate on this?
"Pretty reliable" means "not reliable."

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#49 : May 11, 2011, 01:17:38 PM

99.9% guaranteed = not a chance in hell?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#50 : May 11, 2011, 02:02:06 PM

source=self?

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#51 : May 11, 2011, 02:25:38 PM

one things for sure......you can bet your bottom dollar the falcons will sign a big fa de

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#52 : May 12, 2011, 09:12:20 PM

I'm not really convinced we need a shutdown corner. We did win a Super Bowl w/o one, as I recall. If the safeties and LB's get their assignments in coverage AND the rushers are gettin' pressure like our Super Bowl team did, a shutdown corner is of far less value...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#53 : May 14, 2011, 02:45:41 AM

LINK?

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#54 : May 14, 2011, 10:49:16 AM

Just like with a lot of the moves and draft picks the Bucs have made over the past year, I have this weird, eerie feeling that Nnamdi is going to sign with the Bucs. Not only can we offer the most money to him, we might even be the most attractive situation in the whole NFL right now. There isn't a team that has a brighter future, with less egos than ours. I think a lot of players want to be apart of what's going to happen with this team. Nnamdi is also from California, went to the University of Cal and played for the Raiders.....I don't think he's trying to go to cold weather in Philly, Washington, New York or Detroit, which would probably be the other top options. Just like what's been happening in the NBA Playoffs this year I see a big changing of the guard in the NFL next season. It began last season with us, the Packers and Chiefs, teams that are younger and more athletic are going to start taking over. Next year teams like the Lions, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Broncos, Texans and Chargers will have big seasons as well while staples like the Patriots and Colts start descending. We're like the OKC Thunder of the NFL, and Freeman is our Durant.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#55 : May 14, 2011, 01:57:01 PM

Nah, Its 1986 we are the Chicago Bulls and Freeman is our Michael Jordan.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#56 : May 14, 2011, 02:00:07 PM

There has to be concern giving any 30 year old player a long term contract with a big base salary and huge signing bonus.  It's the kind of deal that could haunt a franchise in the Buc's position.  2/3 years from now having to let go young player(s) going into their second contract because we have a 32/33 year old corner taking up 10% (or more) of the cap space.  It's hard to believe that Aso will be a premier corner for more then another 2/3 years, but with a contract like the one he's going to get the team will be chained to him for likely 4/5 seasons.

That said, it players like him don't often come available in Free Agency.  One of the top players at his position, still at the pinacle of his career, with 0 character concerns.  Probably why some feel this could turn into a crazy bidding war.  I would definitely take him (and the risks) if he could be had at top cb $.  Would pass if it turns into a "setting a new bar" kind of contract (which I think it will). 

Also would much rather see the Bucs add 3/4 legitimate starting caliber pieces in the 3-5 mil per season range then just splash for Nnamdi and call it a wrap. 

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#57 : May 14, 2011, 06:29:30 PM

There has to be concern giving any 30 year old player a long term contract with a big base salary and huge signing bonus.  It's the kind of deal that could haunt a franchise in the Buc's position.  2/3 years from now having to let go young player(s) going into their second contract because we have a 32/33 year old corner taking up 10% (or more) of the cap space.  It's hard to believe that Aso will be a premier corner for more then another 2/3 years, but with a contract like the one he's going to get the team will be chained to him for likely 4/5 seasons.

That said, it players like him don't often come available in Free Agency.  One of the top players at his position, still at the pinacle of his career, with 0 character concerns.  Probably why some feel this could turn into a crazy bidding war.  I would definitely take him (and the risks) if he could be had at top cb $.  Would pass if it turns into a "setting a new bar" kind of contract (which I think it will). 

Also would much rather see the Bucs add 3/4 legitimate starting caliber pieces in the 3-5 mil per season range then just splash for Nnamdi and call it a wrap.

We don't need 3 or 4 "legit starting" pieces. We need Nnamdi, Reggie Bush and a linebacker or two. Plus a re-signed Davin Joseph. That's about it.
: May 14, 2011, 06:33:10 PM ctrombetta
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Four Alternatives to Nnamdi Asomugha « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools