Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ron Paul: Why do we need federal laws to protect us from drugs? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#120 : May 23, 2011, 03:15:42 PM

Sorry FRG - but what does this mean?  "people believe that the behavior being taxed leads to increased spending"

I am slow today - how about a couple more words...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#121 : May 23, 2011, 03:22:33 PM

Sorry FRG - but what does this mean?  "people believe that the behavior being taxed leads to increased spending"

I am slow today - how about a couple more words...
The reason people want to tax sugary/fatty foods is because the health effects of that kind of behavior leads to higher expenses for the government.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#122 : May 23, 2011, 03:34:37 PM

I believe the conversation evolved past that nonsense to a point where the question became - cut the spending - that is the problem.  But if you are still on sugary/fatty foods that makes some sense - but not as a tax as the government should not be involved in paying for misbehaviors of the citizenry - the individual citizens should be doing that.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#123 : May 23, 2011, 03:42:21 PM

I believe the conversation evolved past that nonsense to a point where the question became - cut the spending - that is the problem.  But if you are still on sugary/fatty foods that makes some sense - but not as a tax as the government should not be involved in paying for misbehaviors of the citizenry - the individual citizens should be doing that.

Insurance makes that impossible.  Whether you use Obamacare or the prior system, these poor individual behaviors are driving up costs for the entire citizenry, with the exception of the fortunate few wealthy enough not to need insurance.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#124 : May 23, 2011, 03:48:03 PM

Rule governing insurance might make that impossible bradentonian - not the insurance - they can rate for anything that happens to a person, place or thing. 

And as I noted in the post you quoted - the conversation had evolved beyond that - or at least I thought it had.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#125 : May 23, 2011, 03:49:25 PM

That sounds great but one way or another, the government ends up paying for it. Do you think there should be no extra taxes on cigarettes, too?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#126 : May 23, 2011, 03:54:21 PM

The government only pays when it agrees to pay - getting the government out of the insurance business would be a neat place to start.  They have proven incapable of being a part of the answer - see the 100 billion a year in fraud...

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ron Paul: Why do we need federal laws to protect us from drugs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools