Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Foster will start out at MLB!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
: May 07, 2011, 10:57:17 AM

The Buccaneers found a potential replacement for MLB Barrett Ruud, who is due to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, drafting Mason Foster in the third round (84th overall).

In a post-draft interview, PFW asked Bucs GM Mark Dominik if the addition of Foster has any bearing on Ruud's future with the team.

"It may," he said. "(We're waiting to) figure out what the rules are in free agency and what that all means. Certainly, I think Mason is a quality player and I think he can step into the lineup and play any one of the three linebacker positions for us."

While Foster can play all three LB spots, Dominik said the plan for him is to take snaps in the middle.

"We're going to end up starting (Foster) inside and letting him compete there first, but I do like the versatility factor," Dominik said. "I'm excited about him, particularly in the third round. That was a good fill in many ways for us."

Ruud has been an every-week starter for the Bucs since 2007 and has made at least 114 tackles in each of the past four seasons. However, his asking price for a new deal has been higher than the Bucs are willing to go, a situation that has left Ruud frustrated with the team.

So does this mean that Foster is competing with McKenzie for the MLB spot or will McKenzie be competing with Geno for WLB? Geno is in his contract year and could play well this year but I wouldn't bank on it and I damn sure wouldn't hand him the WLB spot again. I hope we resign Hayward to push Foster for the MLB spot, and bring in either Durant or Diles to compete with Watson and Geno for the 2 outside spots, if Black is resigned he would be handed the SLB spot. IMHO the above statements from Dom pretty much slam and barricade the door on a Ruud return to the Bucs or atleast I hope so!!!!

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/05/06/bucs-rookie-foster-could-step-in-for-ruud-at-mlb-s

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 07, 2011, 11:02:27 AM

Duhhh I have been saying this since before Foster was even a Buc.. He basically is the same exact player as Ruud but more physical and can shed blocks better but everyone is more worried about replacing Hayes to even consider him at MLB.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 07, 2011, 11:02:40 AM

Sweet.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 07, 2011, 11:08:47 AM

I'm all for B B and TB as my RB this year. Blount, Bradford and Tiki Barber.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 07, 2011, 11:25:26 AM

Duhhh I have been saying this since before Foster was even a Buc.. He basically is the same exact player as Ruud but more physical and can shed blocks better but everyone is more worried about replacing Hayes to even consider him at MLB.
While Ruud played soft last year, he was usually in the right spot and was able to form up the team.  However, Hayes was a complete liability.  He was never where he was supposed to be and missed tackles left and right...in essence he became the Sabby of our LBing crew.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 07, 2011, 11:28:36 AM

While Ruud played soft last year, he was usually in the right spot and was able to form up the team.  However, Hayes was a complete liability.  He was never where he was supposed to be and missed tackles left and right...in essence he became the Sabby of our LBing crew.

Yea Ruud was in the right spot getting ran over by running backs and pancaked by linemen.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#6 : May 07, 2011, 12:04:23 PM

Yea Ruud was in the right spot getting ran over by running backs and pancaked by linemen.
I'm not denying that.  All I'm saying is that as bad as Ruud played last year, Hayes was even worse.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 07, 2011, 12:06:54 PM

My initial thoughts on this is that the team values a mike that understands positioning, and is a reliable tackler  So, Foster starting off there isn't a surprise so to say, but I have seen many people argue that Foster doesn't have enough pop when he tackles like Ruud.  But the difference I think is that even if we assume Foster is up to the caliber of Ruud (not necessarily bad or good, but average),  then it  makes sense from a team stand point.  Why pay Ruud so much jack when a younger, cheaper player could potentially provide what he does?

With that said, Hayes I think is seen as a work in progress by the coaching staff for another year, but yes I can see McKenzie competing with him.  Hayes to me was very Jeckyl and Hyde last year.  He was out of position, and missed tackles, but he was a top performer in the NFC for Tackles for Loss, and some splash plays.  Hayes is a natural, violent blitzer, but he seems out of his element covering in space?  I have to wonder maybe Hayes is better suited as a SAM to be honest because coverage, and reliable tackler are two traits a WILL in the under front should have in spades, but he doesn't.

None of the LB's on the roster impress me at WILL, which is why I am inclined to say to give the very young Hayes another shot at WILL for 2011.  I can't say the same for Black as he has been in the league longer, and he plays a low profile position at SAM, which Dekoda Watson filled decently with AH.

Hayes is a lot younger than Ruud, and has a lot less experience, so that is why people are not as down with Hayes compared to Ruud.  But I think the Bucs will be shopping for a WILL next year more than likely, or they eventually move Foster over to WILL for the new MIKE.

: May 07, 2011, 12:09:52 PM alldaway

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 07, 2011, 12:09:18 PM

I'm not denying that.  All I'm saying is that as bad as Ruud played last year, Hayes was even worse.

I've had this argument with people on here and I think Hayes was our best linebacker (WHICH IS NOT SAYING MUCH). His biggest problem was getting caught out of position and taking bad angels but he did have 3 games better then in LB on our team where he played extremely well. His problem is his consistency and you don't know what your going to get out of him every week. Good thing about this is he will be 23 at the start of next season. Ruud although he was where he needed to be it was basically like he wasn't even there.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 07, 2011, 12:11:45 PM

My initial thoughts on this is that the team values a mike that understands positioning, and is a reliable tackler  So, Foster starting off there isn't a surprise so to say, but I have seen many people argue that Foster doesn't have enough pop when he tackles like Ruud.  But the difference I think is that even if we assume Foster is up to the caliber of Ruud (not necessarily bad or good, but average),  then it  makes sense from a team stand point.  Why pay Ruud so much jack when a younger, cheaper player could potentially provide what he does?

With that said, Hayes I think is seen as a work in progress by the coaching staff for another year, but yes I can see McKenzie competing with him.  Hayes to me was very Jeckyl and Hyde last year.  He was out of position, and missed tackles, but he was a top performer in the NFC for Tackles for Loss, and some splash plays.  Hayes is a natural, violent blitzer, but he seems out of his element covering in space?  I have to wonder maybe Hayes is better suited as a SAM to be honest because coverage, and reliable tackler are two traits a WILL in the under front should have in spades, but he doesn't.

None of the LB's on the roster impress me at WILL, which is why I am inclined to say to give the very young Hayes another shot at WILL for 2011.  I can't say the same for Black as he has been in the league longer, and he plays a low profile position at SAM, which Dekoda Watson filled decently with AH.

Hayes is a lot younger than Ruud, and has a lot less experience, so that is why people are not as down with Hayes compared to Ruud.  But I think the Bucs will be shopping for a WILL next year more than likely, or they eventually move Foster over to WILL for the new MIKE.

Exactly right here.. Hayes is going to be 23 in the final year of his contract. It will be his year to prove his value to this team and if under performs again, he is gone. The draft also sets us up perfectly to draft a backer like T'eo, Burfict, or Brown depending on how Hayes performs.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 07, 2011, 12:17:20 PM

"Ruud although he was where he needed to be it was basically like he wasn't even there." Lazoran you hit the nail on the head here my friend this bothers me more than Geno being out of position, for Ruud to be in the right spot and know whats coming drives me crazy!!!!!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

chrisras

Starter

#11 : May 07, 2011, 12:37:52 PM

I hate to say this but I think it's time for Rudd to go. He's a great guy. I met him once. He just didn't cut it on the field. Save that money and throw it at Davin Joseph.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 07, 2011, 12:44:42 PM

<--- Fire this man!  : >:(

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 07, 2011, 12:50:56 PM

<--- Fire this man!  : >:(
Foster for the win!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 07, 2011, 12:57:50 PM

I could see Foster at MLB this year and then shifting over to WLB next year when we draft a stud MLB where the draft is loaded

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Foster will start out at MLB!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools