Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Foster will start out at MLB!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

smove28

Starter

#30 : May 07, 2011, 02:44:05 PM

I like McKenzie a t MLB, to remember that this guy has not even been given a chance to prove what he has. From what I have seen he has the Thump necessary for us there.  If we bookend him with Foster and Black, he may not have to cover as much ground, but at least when he gets to the ball carrier that's the end of the play. I also like Black, for right now, because he is a physical freak. A little more coaching on basic gap discipline would be nice, but you can't coach the plays Black is capable of making.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 07, 2011, 03:53:09 PM

Why not??? Morris has been praising Ruud far more than Hayes this offseason.  Hayes was terrible, far worse than anyone else, including Ruud.  But Ruud sucks, so what do we do...Replace them both with the best options, McKenzie and Foster.

Your not going to see Hayes get replaced.. maybe down the road but Hayes will be one of the starters at the begining of the season like it or not.
Is that what you want? Cuz I really dont see that happening

Its not what I want. It is just the reality of what is going to happen. I STRONGLY disagree Hayes was our worse LB.

He was. You may not want to hear it, but dude was not good in 2010, and he wasn't good in 2009 either. Lead all OLB's in missed tackles in '09, and I'm not sure about '10, but I'm certain he was probably at the tops of that list again. It's not just the being out of position, it's the missed tackles, the inability to shed blocks, and the off field issues. Hayes may or may not win the job at WLB this year, but you are high if you don't think he's going to get competition. If Ruud walks, Foster and McKenzie will compete at MLB. Whoever doesn't win is going to get a shot at the weak side. Foster's best season's in college were at WLB, and Morris has stated that McKenzie could see time on the weak side as far back as last season.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 07, 2011, 04:33:32 PM

I think we are moving on without Ruud and Foster is penciled in as our MLB already. We will try to resign Adam Hayward to back him up though.

I'm thinking McKenzie will be Hayes' competition at WLB. Hope he can win the job.

We might resign Black to play SLB, but I think they might be ready to move on and let Watson/Hayward handle that spot.

If Ruud and Black both walk as I think they will, we will probably sign a reasonably priced vet or an undrafted free agent LB for depth/competition.

Draft Aaron Donald

calibucfan15

Starter

#33 : May 07, 2011, 04:48:25 PM

Hopefully the undrafted free agent route. Harvey and Herzlich as special teams players wouldn't hurt. It would also give us a chance to see if they can contribute on defense. If not then it's a low cost investment.  The veteran FA market is rather unimpressive and would cost more money than the undrafted guys. If we still need to address the LB position then Foster's versatility will be an asset as we can move him around and fill other spots. Preferably drafting a guy like Burfect at MLB. We need some nastiness to this defense and he can bring it if we can't find it this year

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#34 : May 07, 2011, 05:28:45 PM

I think we are moving on without Ruud and Foster is penciled in as our MLB already. We will try to resign Adam Hayward to back him up though.

I'm thinking McKenzie will be Hayes' competition at WLB. Hope he can win the job.

We might resign Black to play SLB, but I think they might be ready to move on and let Watson/Hayward handle that spot.

If Ruud and Black both walk as I think they will, we will probably sign a reasonably priced vet or an undrafted free agent LB for depth/competition.
But is McKenzie suited to play WLB?  The way I understood it, McKenzie was more of a MLB.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

If you have the smarts and coverage ability to play Mike in a 4-3, you most likely can play Will unless you are super slow. The only difference between the Mike and Will in our defense is the Will needs above average speed to make plays sideline to sideline, where as the Mike can be a little bigger, and slower since he generally stays in the middle. They both need enough speed to excel in coverage though, and they both need to be cerebral linebackers who can read the offense presnap and make adjustments.

McKenzie is probably a little slower than Hayes in a 40 yard dash, but if he is a smarter player and a more physical player like I believe he is, he can make up for it by diagnosing the play faster, knowing where he needs to be faster, and actually shedding blocks to make the play.

Running fast doesn't do any good if you are in the wrong spot or getting manhandled by blockers. Geno has proven that.

: May 07, 2011, 05:50:46 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 07, 2011, 06:02:29 PM

If you have the smarts and coverage ability to play Mike in a 4-3, you most likely can play Will unless you are super slow. The only difference between the Mike and Will in our defense is the Will needs above average speed to make plays sideline to sideline, where as the Mike can be a little bigger, and slower since he generally stays in the middle. They both need enough speed to excel in coverage though, and they both need to be cerebral linebackers who can read the offense presnap and make adjustments.

McKenzie is probably a little slower than Hayes in a 40 yard dash, but if he is a smarter player and a more physical player like I believe he is, he can make up for it by diagnosing the play faster, knowing where he needs to be faster, and actually shedding blocks to make the play.

Running fast doesn't do any good if you are in the wrong spot or getting manhandled by blockers. Geno has proven that.
Good evaluation and rationale.  Nice post

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 07, 2011, 06:19:03 PM

Thanks Dbuc....and I didn't even call anyone a crackhead!!  :D

Draft Aaron Donald

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 07, 2011, 07:57:44 PM

but will the staff actually do that?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 07, 2011, 08:16:06 PM

Thanks Dbuc....and I didn't even call anyone a crackhead!!  :D
LOL - no you didn't. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#40 : May 07, 2011, 08:21:38 PM

Foster = BUST

Ruud = Best player on the Bucs defense

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#41 : May 07, 2011, 08:38:04 PM

(Cue banjo music)

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 07, 2011, 08:49:44 PM

Java has to stop drinking steaksauce....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 07, 2011, 09:27:09 PM

Java has to stop posting....

Draft Aaron Donald

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 07, 2011, 10:08:14 PM

^ yeah, that could work :)

if ya cant say something nice........dont say it

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Foster will start out at MLB!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools