Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 08, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown

Source:   PFT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT

So if the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals upholds Judge Susan Nelson’s ruling that the lockout should be lifted while the Tom Brady antitrust lawsuit proceeds, the league will simply open the doors and allow business to continue as usual until the Brady case is settled, right?

Maybe not.

We’re hearing initial rumblings pointing to the possibility that a loss by the league at the appellate level will prompt the owners to completely shut down all business operations until the players agree to a new labor deal.  The thinking is that, if the owners cease all operations, the NFL would not be violating the court order because there would be no lockout.  Instead, the league essentially would be going out of business — something for which the NFL repeatedly chided the union in the weeks and months preceding decertification of the NFLPA.

As we hear it, the league accepts the reality that it will take a lot of heat if it pursues this path (and a lot of that heat will be emanating from this web address), but it could end up being the only way to squeeze the players into accepting the owners’ terms, especially if the Eighth Circuit agrees with Judge Nelson.

On one hand, there’s a long way to go before things would ever get to that point.  On the other hand, there aren’t many steps left on the flow chart before that point arrives.

At least the Pirates aren’t that far below .500.  And after watching The Natural and The Bad News Bears (the good Walter Matthau version, not the crappy Billy Bob Thornton remake) on DVD in the past 24 hours, maybe it’s time to rediscover baseball.

FreeWill

Starter

« #1 : May 08, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »

Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown

Source:   PFT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 8, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT

So if the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals upholds Judge Susan Nelson’s ruling that the lockout should be lifted while the Tom Brady antitrust lawsuit proceeds, the league will simply open the doors and allow business to continue as usual until the Brady case is settled, right?

Maybe not.

We’re hearing initial rumblings pointing to the possibility that a loss by the league at the appellate level will prompt the owners to completely shut down all business operations until the players agree to a new labor deal.  The thinking is that, if the owners cease all operations, the NFL would not be violating the court order because there would be no lockout.  Instead, the league essentially would be going out of business — something for which the NFL repeatedly chided the union in the weeks and months preceding decertification of the NFLPA.

As we hear it, the league accepts the reality that it will take a lot of heat if it pursues this path (and a lot of that heat will be emanating from this web address), but it could end up being the only way to squeeze the players into accepting the owners’ terms, especially if the Eighth Circuit agrees with Judge Nelson.

On one hand, there’s a long way to go before things would ever get to that point.  On the other hand, there aren’t many steps left on the flow chart before that point arrives.

At least the Pirates aren’t that far below .500.  And after watching The Natural and The Bad News Bears (the good Walter Matthau version, not the crappy Billy Bob Thornton remake) on DVD in the past 24 hours, maybe it’s time to rediscover baseball.

F*** those f***ing f***s

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 08, 2011, 05:14:01 PM »

Sweet mother of John Mckay! D:

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 08, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

That would be like GM and Chrysler filing bankruptcy.

Don't think anyone can disagree they are better of today financially than the were earlier.

Big difference, modifying the union contracts.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 08, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Hi, uh, God? Its me again..can I speak to Vince Lombardi if you don't mind? Tom Landry too?...Thanks.

Oh Great football coaches of the past, i beg of thee! Help us...Your great sport of football in the form we love it best is in dire straits right now...We're gonna likely be forced to watch Baseball, gentleman...nobody wants that...if you guys could just, uh, ask for clearence from the big guy to step in and help a deal be reached before it's too late...cause uh...Goodell is pretty much looking at the NFL through Satan's rear end, and uh...I promise that if you save us, I'll root for both your teams...except for when the Bucs play them.....what?......Yeah, Freeman's awesome....Yeah, we can win it, but not if theres a stop to the NFL....No, no, i can promise you we would never let Sanchez make it to the bowl....of course we're gonna fight with passion, who do ya think we are, The Titans? By the way, Hi McNair!...what?....yeah, Cam will be a bust....so uh, yeah, if you could make football happen this year that'ed be great, thanks!.....pffft, of course he sucks, he's Barrett Ruud!...Okay, ill tell him you said that! Thanks, bye....= D

That oughta do it. 8)
« : May 08, 2011, 05:40:12 PM Beatles123 »

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 08, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

So if the owners "shut down all operations", then WHO receives the network TV money?? (should be no one)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 08, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »

The owners hold all the chips as some on here have stated.  If they have to,  they will just shut it down. The players should just give in and get the best deal they can and move on. They will still be millionaires.

LABuc

Starter

« #7 : May 08, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »

If this happens, I will hope the US Govt strips it of all of the tax breaks, disbands its TV Monopoly with DirecTV and cripples this league financially.

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 08, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »

If this happens, I will hope the US Govt strips it of all of the tax breaks, disbands its TV Monopoly with DirecTV and cripples this league financially.

Not sure that would hurt them.  Most are millionaires outside of football operations.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 08, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »

This x1000.  Strip the anti trust exemptions.  Members of Congress were already talking about this when the lockout started.  Let the owners pull some crap like this and watch them completely destroy the game. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 08, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »

more than likely, that'll be the players once they start missing game checks.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 08, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »

Get to the table and figure out how to split up the measly $9B, you selfish **CENSORED**s.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 08, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »

Someone raised a good question in the comments of the PFT article.

If the NFL “shuts down” wouldn’t that void all existing contracts? Not just with the players, but with all personnel, with stadium deals, licensing, etc. just to name a few?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 08, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »

The owners hold all the chips as some on here have stated.  If they have to,  they will just shut it down. The players should just give in and get the best deal they can and move on. They will still be millionaires.

Owners might have all the chips, but the players have pocket aces and the owners have 2-7 off suit and we're about to be all in.

If the antitrust lawsuit goes forward it will destroy the league financially.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 08, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »

And how does that help the players..... and their pocket As?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools