Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 08, 2011, 06:33:26 PM

And how does that help the players..... and their pocket As?

When the players win the anti-trust lawsuit the league has to pay them triple the damages. If I'm understanding this correctly, if a player was supposed to make $3M in 2011 the league would have to pay him $9M, whether games are played or not. And I'm sure the free agents and rookies would somehow get a cash windfall aswell.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 08, 2011, 06:36:36 PM

If the league is "destroyed financially" as you suggest, it won't benefit the players at all.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 08, 2011, 06:37:53 PM

And I suppose the players can just  go to the UFL and Canuck football league.   Ya right.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 08, 2011, 06:40:01 PM

If the league is "destroyed financially" as you suggest, it won't benefit the players at all.

I just explained it to you. Now explain to me how getting 3 years worth of salary "won't benefit the players at all"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 08, 2011, 06:45:31 PM

I just explained it to you. Now explain to me how getting 3 years worth of salary "won't benefit the players at all"

That is if they ever saw that money.  More appeals would be forthcoming.  These owners have the best attorneys money can buy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 08, 2011, 06:52:07 PM

Players are employees, Owners are owners......what dont the players get? How exactly is a partnership when the owners foot the bills and went out and bought the teams? Not sure how anyone could be on the players side except for medical compensation aspect or any other blatanlty obvious aspect. If youve ever seen the way a real business operates or owned your own small business, this whole thing would just come across as assinine. Every other business in the US, the employer decides what to pay its employees and what benefits they are willing to offer. For some reason, the NFL players seem to think that they are ENTITLED to the owners money and need to see records of their profits to demand more pay.

I would expect to make the money I can/want being a business owner. I pay my employees competitive wages. No where in there are my employees entitled to make as much as me. Are they the one putting their money at risk by investing into the business?....of course not. Time for the players to realize you dont bite the hand that feeds, and take the best deal they can get. Get the medical package, retirement package, salary cap, etc. Just dont expect to get more money at the expense of the guys that put their money on the line so the players can get paid millions to play a game. Thats right, many of them are billionaires while the players are just millionaires. If the players want the same entitlements as the owners, go back to school, get a real degree, start a successful business, make a crap ton of mopney, and go buy an NFL franchise.

I dont care how they get it done...in court, at the bargaining table, in the lobby of burger king. Just play some damn football. If it takes the owners giving a giant middle finger salute in the form of a shutdown to get a deal done....awesome. Do it now!!!! If the NFLPA never decertified and continued to negotiate of the owners last proposal and extended the talks, a deal would have been done already. they werent that far from an agreement based on whats the players wanted and the owners were willing to give. The players are the ones that walked away, decertified, and proceeded with tons of lawsuits all over the place. Instead of making money and getting ready for football season, they arent collecting a dime to argue over money that most of them will never see.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 08, 2011, 06:54:26 PM

That is if they ever saw that money.  More appeals would be forthcoming.  These owners have the best attorneys money can buy.

But yet keep losing in court.
Reggie White v. NFL
 American Needle just beat them in the Supreme Court
The league's lawyers negotiated an illegal TV contract (financially payback will be announced Thursday by the way)
Nelson just ruled the lockout illegal

Maybe they should get new lawyers.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 08, 2011, 06:57:40 PM

Reggie White v. NFL
The league's lawyers negotiated an illegal TV contract (financially payback will be announced Thursday by the way)

Still.....its the owners sandbox.  I have come around to the owners side in all this.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#23 : May 08, 2011, 06:58:33 PM

I wonder if shutting it all down would leave the owners of these franchises open to lawsuits from the cities or counties in which they have their leases?

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 08, 2011, 07:01:09 PM

Players are employees, Owners are owners......what dont the players get? How exactly is a partnership when the owners foot the bills and went out and bought the teams? Not sure how anyone could be on the players side except for medical compensation aspect or any other blatanlty obvious aspect. If youve ever seen the way a real business operates or owned your own small business, this whole thing would just come across as assinine. Every other business in the US, the employer decides what to pay its employees and what benefits they are willing to offer. For some reason, the NFL players seem to think that they are ENTITLED to the owners money and need to see records of their profits to demand more pay.

I would expect to make the money I can/want being a business owner. I pay my employees competitive wages. No where in there are my employees entitled to make as much as me. Are they the one putting their money at risk by investing into the business?....of course not. Time for the players to realize you dont bite the hand that feeds, and take the best deal they can get. Get the medical package, retirement package, salary cap, etc. Just dont expect to get more money at the expense of the guys that put their money on the line so the players can get paid millions to play a game. Thats right, many of them are billionaires while the players are just millionaires. If the players want the same entitlements as the owners, go back to school, get a real degree, start a successful business, make a crap ton of mopney, and go buy an NFL franchise.

I dont care how they get it done...in court, at the bargaining table, in the lobby of burger king. Just play some damn football. If it takes the owners giving a giant middle finger salute in the form of a shutdown to get a deal done....awesome. Do it now!!!! If the NFLPA never decertified and continued to negotiate of the owners last proposal and extended the talks, a deal would have been done already. they werent that far from an agreement based on whats the players wanted and the owners were willing to give. The players are the ones that walked away, decertified, and proceeded with tons of lawsuits all over the place. Instead of making money and getting ready for football season, they arent collecting a dime to argue over money that most of them will never see.

Owners signed the deal in the first place... I'm not siding with either side because it is all monopoly money. But the owners did this to themselves.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 08, 2011, 07:03:12 PM

Reggie White v. NFL

Still.....its the owners sandbox. I have come around to the owners side in all this.

And the courts are the parents and are about to pull them out by their hair and spank them.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 08, 2011, 07:12:02 PM

Quote from: JC5100 link=topic=1280640.msg1362661#msg1362661 date=1304895792

And the courts are the parents and are about to pull them out by their hair and spank them.
[/quote

I dunno man, I see the owners with the leverage, not the players.  How about a common sense resolution with fair wages for everyone, and guys like Ryan Leaf not stealing 50mil for nothing?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#27 : May 08, 2011, 07:27:42 PM

I'm not sure who has the upper hand, or the "right" in all of this...all I know for sure is that this is getting really messy really fast.  Something needs to happen in order to stop this from spiraling out of control and football being gone for good. 

Buc45

Starter

#28 : May 08, 2011, 07:28:53 PM

The owners started this whole thing...they owners locked out the players...the owners are whining because they have no legal leg to stand on... This is not the same as a regular business...It is entertainment, except NFL players are a lot easier to deal with then movie star/singer/entertainers...  You think the players can be replaced?...Do you guys remember 1987?  If the players walked away from the current CBA, then I would blame them...but they didn't...it is the owners... Owners are the ones who force cities to raise taxes on you to pay for their new stadiums/or upgrades...and then are willing to shut down a league that has not only made record profits but also has local economies dependent on it for survival...

I am sorry...but I am having a hard time siding with the Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder's of the world...You want the players to come back to the negotiating table?  Do you remember how reluctant the NFL was to negotiate before the players starting kicking their butt in court? If you want the players to come back to the negotiating table, then end the lockout...and then talk...Guys, this is not a strike...it is a lockout...One side can change things right away...

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 08, 2011, 07:34:55 PM

Quote from: JC5100 link=topic=1280640.msg1362661#msg1362661 date=1304895792

[/quote

I dunno man, I see the owners with the leverage, not the players.  How about a common sense resolution with fair wages for everyone, and guys like Ryan Leaf not stealing 50mil for nothing?

In order for the rookie wage scale to happen the owners would have to make sure the money saved there went back into the veterans cap/floor.
: May 08, 2011, 07:36:34 PM imawalkingcorpse

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools