Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#30 : May 08, 2011, 07:36:05 PM

The owners started this whole thing...they owners locked out the players...the owners are whining because they have no legal leg to stand on... This is not the same as a regular business...It is entertainment, except NFL players are a lot easier to deal with then movie star/singer/entertainers...  You think the players can be replaced?...Do you guys remember 1987?  If the players walked away from the current CBA, then I would blame them...but they didn't...it is the owners... Owners are the ones who force cities to raise taxes on you to pay for their new stadiums/or upgrades...and then are willing to shut down a league that has not only made record profits but also has local economies dependent on it for survival...

I am sorry...but I am having a hard time siding with the Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder's of the world...You want the players to come back to the negotiating table?  Do you remember how reluctant the NFL was to negotiate before the players starting kicking their butt in court? If you want the players to come back to the negotiating table, then end the lockout...and then talk...Guys, this is not a strike...it is a lockout...One side can change things right away...
In that case, can the citizens of Tampa sue the Glazers because our taxes were raised and subsequently used to pay for RJS.  If they are part of the crew that result in football being shut down next year, would'nt that be "antitrust?"

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 08, 2011, 07:46:26 PM

its amazing that they are that friggin greedy to keep this up......THE OWNERS ARE GREEDY BASTARDS.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 08, 2011, 07:48:11 PM

This BETTER get fixed!!!!!

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 08, 2011, 07:57:07 PM

its amazing that they are that friggin greedy to keep this up......THE OWNERS ARE GREEDY BASTARDS.

You could say the same about the players actually. They want more and more of the pie, its never enough. I dont see the players or the former NFLPA fighting to stop those insane rookie contracts. When a guy like Ryan Leaf comes along and gets 50mil guaranteed, then bust, everyone laughs it off.  But the owners are the ones footing that bill.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 08, 2011, 08:34:07 PM

<flip-off>

"We Want Football!!!.......We Want Football!!!!!!"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 08, 2011, 08:41:43 PM

sucks to agree with Chronic

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 08, 2011, 09:10:34 PM

HERE HERE!!!

This was only my first season as a bucs fan...this year was my very first draft and seeing how it works. I wanted to watch our team develope and learn what it means to be a diehard fan! ):

I feel robbed....=/

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 08, 2011, 09:31:49 PM

The minute the Bucs field a good team.... wouldn't you know it, the whole damn system collapses!

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 08, 2011, 09:46:14 PM

If the league is "destroyed financially" as you suggest, it won't benefit the players at all.
The players just want to continue under the terms of the previous CBA and are using these threats as leverage.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

threadkiller

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 08, 2011, 09:50:30 PM

You could say the same about the players actually. They want more and more of the pie, its never enough. I dont see the players or the former NFLPA fighting to stop those insane rookie contracts. When a guy like Ryan Leaf comes along and gets 50mil guaranteed, then bust, everyone laughs it off.  But the owners are the ones footing that bill.

Nothing in any CBA has forced owners to offer extraordinary rookie contracts.  There has been a salary floor, but owners (and their management teams) are solely responsible for spiraling these rookie contracts out of control.  Then they have the nerve to whine about them and try to enact more rules to save themselves from themselves. 

Players are employees, Owners are owners......what dont the players get? How exactly is a partnership when the owners foot the bills and went out and bought the teams? Not sure how anyone could be on the players side except for medical compensation aspect or any other blatanlty obvious aspect. If youve ever seen the way a real business operates or owned your own small business, this whole thing would just come across as assinine. Every other business in the US, the employer decides what to pay its employees and what benefits they are willing to offer. For some reason, the NFL players seem to think that they are ENTITLED to the owners money and need to see records of their profits to demand more pay.

I would expect to make the money I can/want being a business owner. I pay my employees competitive wages. No where in there are my employees entitled to make as much as me. Are they the one putting their money at risk by investing into the business?....of course not. Time for the players to realize you dont bite the hand that feeds, and take the best deal they can get. Get the medical package, retirement package, salary cap, etc. Just dont expect to get more money at the expense of the guys that put their money on the line so the players can get paid millions to play a game. Thats right, many of them are billionaires while the players are just millionaires. If the players want the same entitlements as the owners, go back to school, get a real degree, start a successful business, make a crap ton of mopney, and go buy an NFL franchise.

How is this concept so difficult for some to understand?  Owners in the NFL don't "own" the way you put it forward.  They partner with the players.  That partnership allows them to put into place incredibly unAmerican (illegal in the "real" world) labor practices.  People continue to attempt to compare the NFL with "real" business.  It is not.  No where close.  Any comparisons are idiotic. 

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 08, 2011, 10:02:44 PM

The NFL Couldn't handle Our POWER Damn it!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 08, 2011, 10:06:27 PM

If the league is "destroyed financially" as you suggest, it won't benefit the players at all.
The players just want to continue under the terms of the previous CBA and are using these threats as leverage.

Of course they do.....but life shows us daily that we can't always get what we want.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 08, 2011, 10:12:05 PM

Of course they do.....but life shows us daily that we can't always get what we want.
And sometimes life shows us we don't know how good we have it. If the players win all this, the owners will view the 2006 CBA they opted out of as a step up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 08, 2011, 10:13:42 PM

Correct. Time will tell.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rumors fly of a complete NFL shutdown « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools