Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman too high in the Top 100? « previous next »
Page: 1

YReceiver14

Starter

« : May 09, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fc0171/article/freemanflacco-debate-comes-down-to-potential-vs-results?module=HP_cp2

(go to 3:20 in the video to skip the Flacco prattle)

Working on the set of "The Top 100: Players of 2011 Reactions" on Sunday night, I can tell you there were some lively discussions before the show regarding players 90 through 81. The most colorful of those centered around, and continues to center around, Josh Freeman being ranked higher than Joe Flacco.

Bear in mind that the players, not NFL Network analysts or a blue-ribbon panel, voted on their peers. Apparently, NFL players feel Freeman (No. 86) is a hair better than Flacco (90). Could that be possible? Sure.

Is it right? Let's take a closer look.

One of the comments Brian Baldinger and Charles Davis -- both in studio for Sunday's reaction show -- made was that Flacco had led his team to the playoffs in his first three seasons in the league. That's never been done in the modern era by any quarterback, which is a pretty tough fun fact to overlook.

Yes, Flacco has been blessed with a nice defense and a better supporting cast. Still, you can't hold that against him, nor can you deny the fact that Baltimore went 5-11 the year before he showed up.

This is not to say Freeman doesn't belong in the discussion. Both Baldy and Davis agree he's a top 100 player, as do I. He's shown the ability to bring his team back in tight games and maintained an astounding risk-reward ratio with 25 touchdown passes and just six picks in 2010. Throw in that he's nearly impossible to bring down, much like Ben Roethlisberger, but far more mobile, and you have a beast of a player. Some feel he put the Bucs on his back in leading the team to 10 wins.

For all that, Freeman does not have a trip to the playoffs on his résumé, something Flacco has done in each of his first three seasons. That's not all Flacco has accomplished. His career passer rating is a healthy 87.9 with a robust 60-to-34 touchdown-interception ratio. He's been remarkably consistent, from his back-to-back 3,600-yard seasons to the fact that he's played 48 out of a possible 48 regular-season games, and started all of them.

While Freeman was exciting in his rookie season in 2009 and led an awful Bucs team to several comeback victories, the fact remains that he struggled plenty. Throwing 18 picks in only nine starts is testament to that. So, in some minds, the question remains if Freeman is what we saw in 2010, or is there still a lot of 2009 in him?

That remains to be seen. But there can be no question about his leadership, likeability and upside. He's shown a complete willingness to call out his team, has that magnetic "it" factor that Jay Cutler can't seem to buy on eBay, and, frankly, is much more athletically gifted than Flacco (or just about any other quarterback in the league.)

For now, though, it's about the best players as we sit today. Flacco has a few more skins on the wall. Let's see how 2011 plays out.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 09, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »

I don't disagree.  Flacco has the resume, but there's nary a quarterback I'd rather have on this team than Freeman.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 09, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

its kinda dumb to argue it imo.  just too many variables.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jeanclaud

Starter

« #3 : May 09, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »

To hold the playoffs against him is funny considering his resume should actually read 26 Tds:6 Ints and 1 trip to the postseason.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 09, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »

Nah, Freeman is better than Flacco. Better in the 4th QTR and he's had to carry his defense. Flacco has too but not nearly as much.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 09, 2011, 09:56:46 PM »

Most of the "skins" on Flaccos wall are the result of a team. Most of Freemans "skins" are the result of Freeman. I dont argue the post, but I think Freeman is better.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

ZzJewbaccazZ

Starter

« #6 : May 09, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fc0171/article/freemanflacco-debate-comes-down-to-potential-vs-results?module=HP_cp2

You should check out some of the comments as well.

Gobucs991940

Second String
« #7 : May 09, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »

Stats are for losers

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 09, 2011, 11:08:21 PM »

If the Ravens had Freeman, they might be yearly contenders for the Lombardi.  Flacco, for some reason to me, doesn'tmake me think "great QB".  Thus the ranking, despite his resume.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 09, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »

Flacco is "just good enuff".

I watch a lotta football and don't know that i've ever seen a Ravens game where i came away thinking he'd carried them to victory. They play great D and run the ball well and he's pretty much along for the ride, IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 09, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »

I watch a lotta football and don't know that i've ever seen a Ravens game where i came away thinking he'd carried them to victory. They play great D and run the ball well and he's pretty much along for the ride, IMO.

I completely agree Hate. Flacco is very good, but I have never seen him take over. He definitely has an insane arm, but he does not have an ability to single handedly lead his team. Excuse my UCONN shout out :D, but Freeman often goes Kemba on opposing defenses.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 09, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »

I completely agree Hate. Flacco is very good, but I have never seen him take over. He definitely has an insane arm, but he does not have an ability to single handedly lead his team. Excuse my UCONN shout out :D, but Freeman often goes Kemba on opposing defenses.

+1 Kemba!!!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : May 09, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »

The Ravens' defense has been a lot better than the Bucs'. Ray Rice is considered a lot better than any of the Bucs' runners, even Blount. Their oline is better. Even their coach is considered better by many. So Flacco doesn't have just a few supporting aspects in his favor. Going into 2010, he had ALL of the important ones. And the playoff aspect is a quirk; the Bucs won 10 games and lost on a tiebreaker (not to mention a bogus call that cost them one game). Take away Ray Lewis and Ray Rice and we're not even having this discussion. Freeman is better.

In Verner We Trust
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman too high in the Top 100? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools