Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can NFL really suspend Talib? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

: May 10, 2011, 03:10:28 PM

The reason I say this is because my friend brought up a good point. Technically, there was no player conduct code in effect  when he got in trouble because of the lock out. So the consensus is can they really suspend him when technically he wasn't under contract to abide by those conduct codes?

After thinking about it, I don't believe NFL can do anything about it and I'm sure Talib would get lawyers involved if NFL tried something.

what do you guys think? I'm not condoning his actions in any way I'm just trying to see different angles.

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

#1 : May 10, 2011, 03:15:45 PM

according to this article of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, it doesn't state players who are not under contract.

"Persons covered by policy

The following persons ("Covered Persons") shall be considered subject to this Policy: (i) all players under contract; (ii) all full-time employees of the National Football League, its Member Clubs and related entities; (iii) all rookie players once they are selected in the NFL college draft; and (iv) all undrafted rookie players, unsigned veterans and other prospective employees once they commence negotiations with a Club concerning employment."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2798214

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 10, 2011, 03:16:04 PM

Yes they can.  They've said that any transgression during the lockout will be dealt with when the league comes back together.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 10, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

I should amend my post.

I don't know if they CAN, but they'll sure TRY.

michaelford10

Rookie

#4 : May 10, 2011, 03:17:30 PM

While players wont be able to get the benefit of our evaluation and counseling program during the work stoppage, the personal conduct of players and employees is an integrity-of-the-game issue, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy wrote in an e-mail to FOX Sports. Any misconduct that is detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL will certainly be addressed when play resumes.

source:http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/18/report-nfl-will-enforce-player-conduct-policy-during-lockout/

jbear

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 10, 2011, 03:25:46 PM

Yes they can.  They've said that any transgression during the lockout will be dealt with when the league comes back together.

I think player disipline is on the table durring these current negotiations.  With nothing in place so far I don't know how anyone could say for sure unless they don't come to agreement and the lockout is lifted with no collective barganing agreement for the 2011 season. 

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

#6 : May 10, 2011, 03:27:41 PM

Interesting, he said " would certainly be addressed"

leaves room for interpretation.

Something like: " will be held accountable" sounds more assuring that they can do something.

So to me I think If I were him I would read the policy with a fine tooth comb because i'm sure since the lockout is something rare they don't have guidelines written in there for such occasions. just my opinion.

BucNCane

Second String

#7 : May 10, 2011, 03:29:52 PM

I'm wondering if there wont be a stipulation in the negotation process that gives players immunity over the course of the lockout. I certainly would fight for that if I were the NFLPA.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 10, 2011, 03:31:05 PM

I think the more pertinent answer should be can they if he is acquitted of defense's accusation?  If he did not commit any crime, he cannot be disciplined.  And it was his sister he was going to, not one of his buddies.  So what can Goodell do at that point?

NOTHING.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 10, 2011, 03:31:45 PM

It's the players unions' job to protect the players.  I'd say just about everything could be on the table, including the union putting their foot down about disiplining players who were not under contract.  I wouldn't be shocked if players are punished for incidents durring the lockout but it's just another bargaining chip the union will likely use to get concessions from the owners.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 10, 2011, 03:32:41 PM

I'm wondering if there wont be a stipulation in the negotation process that gives players immunity over the course of the lockout. I certainly would fight for that if I were the NFLPA.

I'd be surprised if something like that wouldn't at least come up.

05 TypeS DC5

Second String

#11 : May 10, 2011, 03:33:31 PM

I think the more pertinent answer should be can they if he is acquitted of defense's accusation?  If he did not commit any crime, he cannot be disciplined.  And it was his sister he was going to, not one of his buddies.  So what can Goodell do at that point?

NOTHING.

I hope and pray that this is the case, that he is acquitted. But I think he definitely needs a wake up call. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that many only dream about.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 10, 2011, 03:53:11 PM

The Personal Conduct Policy is not a collective bargained item. So chances are they'll be little problem enforcing it no matter when the trangressions occur. Question is...will the Bucs have enough guys available to fill out the 53 man.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#13 : May 10, 2011, 04:08:32 PM

The Personal Conduct Policy is not a collective bargained item. So chances are they'll be little problem enforcing it no matter when the trangressions occur. Question is...will the Bucs have enough guys available to fill out the 53 man.

But I believe it could be.  I know most unions have bargained for committees to handle employee disiplinary situations.  I've heard talk of a comittee of former players and team representatives being set up to disipline players.  The players are grown men and we've already heard plenty of grumbling from the players about the arbitrary punishments handed out by principal Goddell.  Any union would want to adress that kind of issue. 

There were lots of new things being discussed in this round of negotiations.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 10, 2011, 04:36:59 PM

But I believe it could be.  I know most unions have bargained for committees to handle employee disiplinary situations.  I've heard talk of a comittee of former players and team representatives being set up to disipline players.  The players are grown men and we've already heard plenty of grumbling from the players about the arbitrary punishments handed out by principal Goddell.  Any union would want to adress that kind of issue. 

There were lots of new things being discussed in this round of negotiations.

It could be. It hasn't been and was agreed to by both parties separate of the CBA. So it remains in force until it changes. So, at this point, the league can dish out the discipline. I seriously doubt it will be bargained down to "let's forget about all those knucklehead things done from March 2nd on". That is a pipe dream.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can NFL really suspend Talib? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools