Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs honor Gruden when he comes in for MNF? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#180 : May 23, 2011, 09:25:50 AM

In all honesty why shouldn't we....
...  just have the PA announcer welcome back SuperBowl winning coach Jon Gruden and be done with it...imo of course.
That is what I thought the original post stated...

whoops.  i got sidetracked, sorry.  i think there is a difference between "honoring" and "announcing".  i would "announce" that gruden was in attendance this coming season.  i would not "honor" gruden unless the entire 2002 is involved.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BuccaNova

Starter
#181 : May 23, 2011, 09:39:33 AM

.....listen i'm on board with morris and dominik but the stuff about gruden not being a good coach is bull spit.

+1. To both sides of that statement.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#182 : May 23, 2011, 10:23:52 AM

gruden is a good coach.  he just doesnt have "staying" power imo.  but how many NFL coaches do?

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#183 : May 23, 2011, 10:59:45 AM

oakland was absolute crap before gruden took over and except for the tuck rule he would have been in sbs 2 years in a row with 2 different teams....

If they win the tuck rule game, they still have to go into Pittsburgh

The Pats got their ass handed to them by the Raiders in New England then the Pats have a bad call go their way to give them the game, then go to Pittsburg and kick the Steelers around the field.   The Raiders would have ripped the Steelers a new one.   

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#184 : May 23, 2011, 11:40:53 AM

oakland was absolute crap before gruden took over
Not really. The Raiders were awful in 1997, the year before Gruden was hired, mostly because Joe Bugel had no business being a head coach, but prior to that they had always been at least decent. From 1988-1996, they won at least 7 games every season.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#185 : May 23, 2011, 12:59:34 PM

Agree with you 4bucs - the Bugel led raiders were awful. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDog

Hall of Famer

#186 : May 23, 2011, 08:05:49 PM

oakland was absolute crap before gruden took over
Not really. The Raiders were awful in 1997, the year before Gruden was hired, mostly because Joe Bugel had no business being a head coach, but prior to that they had always been at least decent. From 1988-1996, they won at least 7 games every season.

Gruden was a savior for that franchise.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#187 : May 23, 2011, 08:13:36 PM

gruden had two good years, 2 average there.  nothing to really chirp about. also took gruden 3 years to get to doubledigit wins and the playoffs.  sounds like raheem and dominik might even be ahead of schedule!

JDog

Hall of Famer

#188 : May 23, 2011, 08:20:12 PM

Look for the Bucs to do worse in 2011 than in 2010.   Not better.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#189 : May 23, 2011, 09:57:41 PM

gruden had two good years, 2 average there.  nothing to really chirp about. also took gruden 3 years to get to doubledigit wins and the playoffs.  sounds like raheem and dominik might even be ahead of schedule!
lol give him props...His first year with Oakland was 8 wins...What would you want as a first year Coach of a sorry team his second year was the foundation....so how can you call these two years average when one was the first year...His next two years...well speaks for its self...I know to some its hard to give him his props but you have to. After all how many coaches out of all the Coaches can say that they have a superbowl win? less than 37 out of how many?...OBD

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#190 : May 23, 2011, 10:33:40 PM

Look for the Bucs to do worse in 2011 than in 2010.   Not better.

You can feel free to look for that. I surely wont be.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#191 : May 23, 2011, 11:12:44 PM

Docbravo, you make good points and after much consideration I agree it's a good idea that the Bucs simply wait a year and honor everyone in 2002. Ten years. Nice round number.

Yeah, 10 years sounds about right. I got a feeling Gruden will be coaching somewhere next year tho, so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Don't know about that.  I am sure he would get offered a gig somewhere, but dude has it made now.  Work a few hours a week for big jack, and no one breathing down your neck.  It will be interesting to see what he decides.

ESPN isn't paying him "Big Jack", they are supplementing his income from the Bucs. They are, however, giving him an opportunity to stay around the game, and remain somewhat relevant. I'm willing to Guarantee he will be coaching somewhere next year. If he's not.... then I'll...... I'll.....I'll do what everyone else on the message board does. (Act like this never happened! HAHAHAHAHAAAA!)

I guess it depends on your definition of huge jack.  I would say he is doing ok for yacking about a game once a week for a few hours.

ESPN did not release the specifics of the extension he signed, but it is believed he makes about $4.3 million a year.

I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that ESPN is paying an announcer $4.3 Million/Year. That is more than what most active coaches are making right now. If they never release the numbers, then I guess we'll never know. But if what you say is true, he'd be an IDIOT if he ever left the booth!
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs honor Gruden when he comes in for MNF? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools