Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FOSTER MAY BE BUCS' BEST DRAFT PICK IN 2011 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
« : May 13, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »

As bad as Tampa Bay needed to improve the talent and pass-rushing ability of the defensive end position in the 2011 NFL Draft, linebacker Mason Foster, who was drafted in the third round, may be the team’s best pick.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&view=item&layout=item&id=258

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 13, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »

It's pretty consistent across the league that all 4-3 LB's and 3-4 ILB's have quick transitions, so no one should be surprised if Foster is more ready than Clayborn and Bowers.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 13, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

I hope so. I think at best he'll be a rotational player behind McKenzie for the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the year. Of course i'm assuming the Barrett doesn't get resigned.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

chrisras

Starter

« #3 : May 13, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »

He doesn't seem that good to me. He has average speed, athletiscism and burst. He's a poor pass rusher and he needs to develop his drop skills and become more of an explosive physical tackler. He doesn't excel at shedding lead blockers either which is troublesome. His strengths are in his intangibles. He's a good character kid with versatility. Its possible he can contribute on special teams. He'll be good if you need a linebacker in the pinch but nothing more. I think we could've done much better in the 3rd round.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #4 : May 13, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

I think we could've done much better in the 3rd round.

such as whom?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chrisras

Starter

« #5 : May 13, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »

I would've drafted Curtis Brown. He's a good kid. He went to New Orleans with his church to help out displaced Hurricane Katrina victims.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 13, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »

I would've drafted Curtis Brown. He's a good kid. He went to New Orleans with his church to help out displaced Hurricane Katrina victims.

So much wrong with that selection...

Curtis Brown Scouting Report 

Curtis Brown - Texas (HT: 5-11⅝ - WT: 185)
Combine 40: 4.54 - Position Rank: 6 of 45

Positives: Good frame, could stand to add some weight, but has decent height... Has pretty good speed, is faster than combine 40-time suggests... Teams threw away from Brown much of the 2010 season, was solid in pass defense but did not get many opportunities to make big plays... Plays well in both man and zone coverage, is especially good at reading the quarterback in short zone coverage... Mix of speed and athleticism is a major plus, shows great change-of-direction skills and fluidity, recorded a blazing shuttle time of 4.00 seconds at the combine... Ball skills are above-average, although Brown is not a game-changer at this point... Has good leaping ability, had a 39.5" vertical at the combine, goes after the ball at its highest point... Good character guy, no major concerns in this area... No durability concerns to speak of, has not missed any time due to serious injury... Is a good special teams performer.

Negatives: Production has been sub-par in four years at Texas (108 tackles, two interceptions)... Not a sure tackler, is not capable of too many explosive hits, tends to miss open tackles in the open field by not breaking down or driving through tackles... Is not a very physical player, will get blocked away from plays and get out-muscled by bigger receivers... Seems to lack consistent concentration at times... Recovery speed could be better, will get beat deep and needs to do a better job of getting back into position to make a play... Lack of physicality is an issue, but could make up for it by showing scouts his speed and man coverage abilities.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 13, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »

Not sure why media outlets (PR, JBF, TBT, SPBT, NFLNTWK, ESPN) keep suggesting that the Bucs are not going to re-sign Black. The guys was our most physical LB last year and IMO has the greatest potential of all our starting LBs. Besides that, you can tell Morris is in love with the guy. When you add the fact that Quincy Black will demand very little on the FA market, its a no brainer he will be re-signed by Tampa Bay once FA opens up.

Foster was either brought here to A.) Replace Barett Ruud or B.) Be a 'down-the-road' replacement for Geno Hayes if he doesn't workout.

I just don't see Foster replacing Black SR, sorry.

chrisras

Starter

« #8 : May 13, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »

Positives: Good frame, could stand to add some weight, but has decent height... Has pretty good speed, is faster than combine 40-time suggests... Teams threw away from Brown much of the 2010 season, was solid in pass defense but did not get many opportunities to make big plays... Plays well in both man and zone coverage, is especially good at reading the quarterback in short zone coverage... Mix of speed and athleticism is a major plus, shows great change-of-direction skills and fluidity, recorded a blazing shuttle time of 4.00 seconds at the combine... Ball skills are above-average, although Brown is not a game-changer at this point... Has good leaping ability, had a 39.5" vertical at the combine, goes after the ball at its highest point... Good character guy, no major concerns in this area... No durability concerns to speak of, has not missed any time due to serious injury... Is a good special teams performer.

Negatives: Production has been sub-par in four years at Texas (108 tackles, two interceptions)... Not a sure tackler, is not capable of too many explosive hits, tends to miss open tackles in the open field by not breaking down or driving through tackles... Is not a very physical player, will get blocked away from plays and get out-muscled by bigger receivers... Seems to lack consistent concentration at times... Recovery speed could be better, will get beat deep and needs to do a better job of getting back into position to make a play... Lack of physicality is an issue, but could make up for it by showing scouts his speed and man coverage abilities.

Those are negatives that can be coached up. Production was sub par because teams threw away from Brown which shows the amount of respect opponents had for him.

Tron

Rookie

« #9 : May 13, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »

In his defense, he's not saying he would draft Brown over Foster because of Brown's football prowess.  Just that Brown's a good kid and he heard a story where Brown did some charity work. 

Coaching should fix these negatives. "Don't miss open tackles," "don't get out-muscled by bigger receivers," and "don't get beat deep,"  are things that Texas and Will Muschamp just don't know enough about to say.  Johnson, Orakpo and Kindle learned these things before and after their respective time at Texas.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 13, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »

Not to be mean, but you're always wrong Chrisras. You already proved you want Peace Corps members and Sweater Guy manning your team.

Foster is the MLB of the future. Either this year or next. MLB is the QB of your defense though, so if you can ease Foster in on the outside I think you do especially if you want to give any exotic looks that may be new for Foster and that you want him to learn from the sideline.

I do think their is a decent chance that the Bucs bring back Black though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we did hire his college position coach in Grady Stretz. We know Black is never going to have great instincts, but I think the Bucs may want to try him one more time in a specialized role to see if they can finally get his exception athletisism to click in the D.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 13, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »

Im kind of on board with the guys saying he should play outside and we draft our stud MLB next year.

JM2

Pro Bowler

« #12 : May 13, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »

Those are negatives that can be coached up. Production was sub par because teams threw away from Brown which shows the amount of respect opponents had for him.
So help me out here, which of Brown's negatives CAN be coached up, and which of Foster's negatives CANNOT?

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

« #13 : May 13, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »

Curtis Browns' teammate got drafted higher than him and was a better player, so not much there for teams throwing away from him. Not sure how you can say Foster wasn't worh this pick, a lot of people had him going as high as the 2nd round. People are just going to complain about everything I guess.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

« #14 : May 13, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »

Foster has demonstrated in college, that he can tackle and that he instinctively goes where the ball is.

I just wonder about his overall speed.  It is true Anticipation can make up for slowness.  An early anticipated step in a short distance makes one very fast.

At the combine the recorded 40"s:  Foster 4.75;  Kerrigaan 4.71;  Houston 4.68;  Von Miller 4.53; Martez Wilson 4.49.

I certainly want Foster to be great----just a bit concerned that the faster pace of the NFL will have a negative impact.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FOSTER MAY BE BUCS' BEST DRAFT PICK IN 2011 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools