Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FOSTER MAY BE BUCS' BEST DRAFT PICK IN 2011 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 13, 2011, 07:12:27 PM

his 40 time is average.  neither great nor bad.  i wouldn't be too concerned about it. 

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 13, 2011, 08:46:11 PM

his 40 time is average.  neither great nor bad.  i wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Me either, measurables mean NOTHING. Remember what Derrik Brooks became, Look at Cody Grimm last year and watch Amahd Black this year, like I said.....NOTHING

BucsWin31

Starter

#17 : May 13, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

Foster is gonna benefit from the new line..he gonna be a good one

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 13, 2011, 09:18:31 PM

He doesn't seem that good to me. He has average speed, athletiscism and burst. He's a poor pass rusher and he needs to develop his drop skills and become more of an explosive physical tackler. He doesn't excel at shedding lead blockers either which is troublesome. His strengths are in his intangibles. He's a good character kid with versatility. Its possible he can contribute on special teams. He'll be good if you need a linebacker in the pinch but nothing more. I think we could've done much better in the 3rd round.

Mason Foster scouting report.
Run defense: Very instinctive. Not a particularly physical linebacker despite his production. Prefers to slip past blockers by recognizing the play or using quick, strong hands to slap away blockers' attempts to get into his chest. Willing to take on the fullback at the point of attack. Does a nice job of leading with the correct shoulder to slip off the block in tight quarters and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage. Slips blocks as well as any linebacker in the country.

OOOOppss.   :o

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 13, 2011, 09:25:22 PM

Im kind of on board with the guys saying he should play outside and we draft our stud MLB next year.
When (if) OTAs and camp are resumed - keep an eye on McKenzie.  Just sayin the young man can play. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#20 : May 13, 2011, 09:43:55 PM

Lol I got to the post with someone saying Foster was a bad pick because he's strengths were his intangibles - stand up guy, team leader.

Then goes on to say we should have drafted another LB because he went with his church to help out after Katrina.

I mean come on.. dog one guy for being drafted on intangibles only to go on to see we should have drafted another guy instead, BASED on that guy's intangibles.

Seriously? I don't understand how the Bucs have collected the bonehead fans from the other 31 teams :( 1 out of every 5 or 10 posts is worth while to read, well thought out and obviously based on some football knowledge, fact or experience. The rest of the posts are people collecting jarbled thoughts out of outer space, making little sense and usually have opinions that couldn't be further from reality.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Hate

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 13, 2011, 10:41:13 PM

I would've drafted Curtis Brown. He's a good kid. He went to New Orleans with his church to help out displaced Hurricane Katrina victims.

It seems you're more interested on someone to attend bible study than you are in football players.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 13, 2011, 10:46:58 PM

I would've drafted Curtis Brown. He's a good kid. He went to New Orleans with his church to help out displaced Hurricane Katrina victims.

It seems you're more interested on someone to attend bible study than you are in football players.
Amen.

Sounds like Chrispy needs to go to www.jesussaves.com

I think he fails to understand this is a football message board, where even guys like Derrick Brooks will tell you that he is going to kill you if you come near his area again.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 14, 2011, 02:54:56 AM

Amen.

Sounds like Chrispy needs to go to www.jesussaves.com

I think he fails to understand this is a football message board, where even guys like Derrick Brooks will tell you that he is going to kill you if you come near his area again.

LOL

chrisras

Starter

#24 : May 14, 2011, 09:33:14 AM

Lol I got to the post with someone saying Foster was a bad pick because he's strengths were his intangibles - stand up guy, team leader.

Then goes on to say we should have drafted another LB because he went with his church to help out after Katrina.

I mean come on.. dog one guy for being drafted on intangibles only to go on to see we should have drafted another guy instead, BASED on that guy's intangibles.

Seriously? I don't understand how the Bucs have collected the bonehead fans from the other 31 teams :( 1 out of every 5 or 10 posts is worth while to read, well thought out and obviously based on some football knowledge, fact or experience. The rest of the posts are people collecting jarbled thoughts out of outer space, making little sense and usually have opinions that couldn't be further from reality.

Curtis Brown is not a linebacker. He's a good character kid that is a very talented CORNERBACK! Foster is a good character kid but I think he was a poor selection. Sorry I don't run with the herd.

Foster was drafted on intangibles. The problem with Foster is his lack of athleticism. He doesn't have side line to side line speed and doesn't change directions well. He isn't quick or explosive and doesn't have good lateral movement. He has issues anchoring against the run and lacks ideal range in zone coverage. His lack of athleticism causes his potential to be capped.

He was drafted for his versatility. He can play the 3 linebacker positions if needed but it's doubtful he'll start. He was not drafted to be our MLB of the future as some have claimed. He was drafted to be a safety valve.

I would've drafted Brown for multiple reasons. He plays well in both man and zone coverage, has good ball skills, posseses a tremendous blend of speed and athleticism. He has fluid hips and can change directions exceptionally well. CB is an area of need because Talib has punched his ticket out of here with his disgraceful behavior. 

Not to be mean, but you're always wrong Chrisras. You already proved you want Peace Corps members and Sweater Guy manning your team.

Foster is the MLB of the future. Either this year or next. MLB is the QB of your defense though, so if you can ease Foster in on the outside I think you do especially if you want to give any exotic looks that may be new for Foster and that you want him to learn from the sideline.

I do think their is a decent chance that the Bucs bring back Black though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we did hire his college position coach in Grady Stretz. We know Black is never going to have great instincts, but I think the Bucs may want to try him one more time in a specialized role to see if they can finally get his exception athletisism to click in the D.

I'm not always wrong. I want good character kids that are good football players that the community can be proud of.

He doesn't seem that good to me. He has average speed, athletiscism and burst. He's a poor pass rusher and he needs to develop his drop skills and become more of an explosive physical tackler. He doesn't excel at shedding lead blockers either which is troublesome. His strengths are in his intangibles. He's a good character kid with versatility. Its possible he can contribute on special teams. He'll be good if you need a linebacker in the pinch but nothing more. I think we could've done much better in the 3rd round.

Run defense: Very instinctive. Not a particularly physical linebacker despite his production. Prefers to slip past blockers by recognizing the play or using quick, strong hands to slap away blockers' attempts to get into his chest. Willing to take on the fullback at the point of attack. Does a nice job of leading with the correct shoulder to slip off the block in tight quarters and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage. Slips blocks as well as any linebacker in the country.

There is a difference between slipping blocks and shedding.

So much wrong with that selection...

Curtis Brown Scouting Report 

Curtis Brown - Texas (HT: 5-11⅝ - WT: 185)
Combine 40: 4.54 - Position Rank: 6 of 45

Positives: Good frame, could stand to add some weight, but has decent height... Has pretty good speed, is faster than combine 40-time suggests... Teams threw away from Brown much of the 2010 season, was solid in pass defense but did not get many opportunities to make big plays... Plays well in both man and zone coverage, is especially good at reading the quarterback in short zone coverage... Mix of speed and athleticism is a major plus, shows great change-of-direction skills and fluidity, recorded a blazing shuttle time of 4.00 seconds at the combine... Ball skills are above-average, although Brown is not a game-changer at this point... Has good leaping ability, had a 39.5" vertical at the combine, goes after the ball at its highest point... Good character guy, no major concerns in this area... No durability concerns to speak of, has not missed any time due to serious injury... Is a good special teams performer.

Negatives: Production has been sub-par in four years at Texas (108 tackles, two interceptions)... Not a sure tackler, is not capable of too many explosive hits, tends to miss open tackles in the open field by not breaking down or driving through tackles... Is not a very physical player, will get blocked away from plays and get out-muscled by bigger receivers... Seems to lack consistent concentration at times... Recovery speed could be better, will get beat deep and needs to do a better job of getting back into position to make a play... Lack of physicality is an issue, but could make up for it by showing scouts his speed and man coverage abilities.

Those are negatives that can be coached up. Production was sub par because teams threw away from Brown which shows the amount of respect opponents had for him.
So help me out here, which of Brown's negatives CAN be coached up, and which of Foster's negatives CANNOT?

Browns problems are not due to his lack of athleticism. Foster's lack of athleticism caps his potential.
: May 14, 2011, 09:39:31 AM chrisras

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 14, 2011, 12:19:39 PM

That's just funny.  Brown's issues are that he doesn't play well but he could, is that the gist of what you're offering Chrisras? 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 14, 2011, 12:56:31 PM

Curtis Brown is not a linebacker. He's a good character kid that is a very talented CORNERBACK! Foster is a good character kid but I think he was a poor selection. Sorry I don't run with the herd.

Foster was drafted on intangibles. The problem with Foster is his lack of athleticism. He doesn't have side line to side line speed and doesn't change directions well. He isn't quick or explosive and doesn't have good lateral movement. He has issues anchoring against the run and lacks ideal range in zone coverage. His lack of athleticism causes his potential to be capped.

He was drafted for his versatility. He can play the 3 linebacker positions if needed but it's doubtful he'll start. He was not drafted to be our MLB of the future as some have claimed. He was drafted to be a safety valve.

I would've drafted Brown for multiple reasons. He plays well in both man and zone coverage, has good ball skills, posseses a tremendous blend of speed and athleticism. He has fluid hips and can change directions exceptionally well. CB is an area of need because Talib has punched his ticket out of here with his disgraceful behavior. 

Not to be mean, but you're always wrong Chrisras. You already proved you want Peace Corps members and Sweater Guy manning your team.

Foster is the MLB of the future. Either this year or next. MLB is the QB of your defense though, so if you can ease Foster in on the outside I think you do especially if you want to give any exotic looks that may be new for Foster and that you want him to learn from the sideline.

I do think their is a decent chance that the Bucs bring back Black though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we did hire his college position coach in Grady Stretz. We know Black is never going to have great instincts, but I think the Bucs may want to try him one more time in a specialized role to see if they can finally get his exception athletisism to click in the D.

I'm not always wrong. I want good character kids that are good football players that the community can be proud of.

There is a difference between slipping blocks and shedding.

So much wrong with that selection...

Curtis Brown Scouting Report 

Curtis Brown - Texas (HT: 5-11⅝ - WT: 185)
Combine 40: 4.54 - Position Rank: 6 of 45

Positives: Good frame, could stand to add some weight, but has decent height... Has pretty good speed, is faster than combine 40-time suggests... Teams threw away from Brown much of the 2010 season, was solid in pass defense but did not get many opportunities to make big plays... Plays well in both man and zone coverage, is especially good at reading the quarterback in short zone coverage... Mix of speed and athleticism is a major plus, shows great change-of-direction skills and fluidity, recorded a blazing shuttle time of 4.00 seconds at the combine... Ball skills are above-average, although Brown is not a game-changer at this point... Has good leaping ability, had a 39.5" vertical at the combine, goes after the ball at its highest point... Good character guy, no major concerns in this area... No durability concerns to speak of, has not missed any time due to serious injury... Is a good special teams performer.

Negatives: Production has been sub-par in four years at Texas (108 tackles, two interceptions)... Not a sure tackler, is not capable of too many explosive hits, tends to miss open tackles in the open field by not breaking down or driving through tackles... Is not a very physical player, will get blocked away from plays and get out-muscled by bigger receivers... Seems to lack consistent concentration at times... Recovery speed could be better, will get beat deep and needs to do a better job of getting back into position to make a play... Lack of physicality is an issue, but could make up for it by showing scouts his speed and man coverage abilities.

Those are negatives that can be coached up. Production was sub par because teams threw away from Brown which shows the amount of respect opponents had for him.
So help me out here, which of Brown's negatives CAN be coached up, and which of Foster's negatives CANNOT?

Browns problems are not due to his lack of athleticism. Foster's lack of athleticism caps his potential.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Seriously, please explain the difference between "slipping" and "shedding" blocks.

I call SIPOMA.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

chrisras

Starter

#27 : May 14, 2011, 12:59:57 PM

No dbucfan. That is not what I am offering. It was a long post because I had to respond to a lot of attacks. God forbid somebody doesn't like a draft pick around here. I don't blame you for not reading the whole thing. I said Brown played well in college.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 14, 2011, 01:02:13 PM

or maybe you caught flak because you made completely false statements?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

chrisras

Starter

#29 : May 14, 2011, 01:19:46 PM

Do I seriously have to explain that to you Tatmanfish??
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FOSTER MAY BE BUCS' BEST DRAFT PICK IN 2011 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools