Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman was the 2nd most pressured QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 15, 2011, 03:04:27 PM

Well if football outsiders knows - the hell with two gms, two hcs, two OCs, Oline coaches and self scouting.  What is the other data driven source - can't recall the name, perhaps this is the one Biggs and FRG follow as well.  I would guess if I got the bucs a couple of memberships the SB would follow, along with a stunning Oline.

Now, don't take me wrong - I am not a fan of the Oline performance - but Joseph has been here 5 years, and if the folks who evaluate him on a daily basis happen to disagree with football outsiders - well I am not startled.  Perhaps others are. I think the above buccaneer evaluators are pretty serious about getting who they believe to be the best players on the field. 

Would I like to see better play out of the Oline - no doubt, but the bucs staffs seem to feel they have the talent they want- at least for now (since they didn't draft ANY Oline - surprisingly).  And who knows - maybe they are kidding when they indicated they want Joseph back... just misdirection?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 15, 2011, 03:53:53 PM

http://footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2011/debunking-three-tampa-bay-myths

Davin Joseph was drafted 23rd overall in 2006, made the Pro Bowl as an alternate after the 2008 season and by all accounts has been the best player on the Bucs O-line in the past 5 years. He's also a free agent who will likely command a high price on the free agent market. No one would blame you for thinking he had a great 2010 Season when on the field (he missed 5 games with an injury), but that's pretty far from the truth. Well, game charting tells me differently. To evaluate offensive linemen I'll use the 'blown blocks' metric, which simply measures the amount of times a lineman blew a one-on-one block that led to a QB pressure, a sack, a QB hit or a tackle for loss. This means stunts and blown assignments aren't counted, as it's hard to assign blame without knowing the assignments in those cases.

Davin Joseph was the worst Bucs guard by my count, blowing 14 blocks in 11 games started, or 1.3 blown blocks per game. Keydrick Vincent (who was cut midseason) blew blocks at a rate of 1.2 per game, rookie Derek Hardman blew 1.3 blocks per game, and surprisingly rookie Ted Larsen performed best, with just 0.9 blown blocks per game. Based on last year, Davin Joseph did not stand out among Bucs guards at all and doesn't warrant a big contract.

Why is it that almost all of the people outside of Tampa who evaluate Tampa's OL on a play-by-play basis come to the conclusion that Davin Joseph sucks?  What have these Buccaneer OL done to piss off these people?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 15, 2011, 03:57:20 PM

biggs - is 'football outsiders' the same group you reference on the data topics? 

As to the question posed in your post - who knows - hell they brought in folks from all over the country the coach/scout/evaluate players and teams.  Seems when they get here they just come to similar conclusions.  Must be the water. :o

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman was the 2nd most pressured QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools