Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster...One team hung up on me, I will make them regret that decision. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 15, 2011, 04:23:56 PM

One journey ends, another begins

After a long journey, Mason Foster begins life as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

National Football Post
May 15, 2011

Editors Note: Mason Foster is a 6-2, 242-pound senior linebacker from the University of Washington who will be keeping a running journal for the National Football Post as he prepares for and participates in Aprils draft. This is his sixth entry.

The draft is finally over, and Im a Tampa Bay Buccaneer! I could not be more excited about the opportunity that the Glazer family, Mr. Dominick and Coach Morris have given me. Im now out to prove that I was the steal of the NFL Draft.

While I was a little nervous heading into the Draft weekend, I was more excited and anxious than anything else. I had no expectations and I was just honored to have the opportunity to be a part of the process. My agent was confident that I would be selected sometime on Friday (rounds 2-3) and we had a pretty good idea of the teams that had me ranked the highest on their draft boards.

Mason (center) with his family and agent Steve Caric (immediate left) during draft weekend.

My family and my closest friends got together at my apartment complex in Seattle to watch the Draft on Friday night. Whats crazy is that until youre a part of it, you dont realize how much every pick and trade effects you! For example, one of the teams that had me ranked the highest on their board traded away the pick we thought they might use to select me so that they could move up and fill a bigger team need. All of the sudden, a team that you thought you might play for is out of the picture. Its also crazy how long everything seems to take and how you just hang on every pick.

At one point, a team that I had visited called me while they were on the clock, but they put me on hold and then hung up. I later found out that they were debating between me and another player. Obviously, they didnt pick me. I plan on making them regret that decision.

When the call finally came, it was one of the best moments of my life. I spoke with the general manager, Mr. Dominick, and all of the coaches. They all told me how excited they were to have me and I told them that the feeling was mutual. I wish I could put into words what I was feeling when I was on that call, but it is indescribable. As soon as I hung up, all the tension in the room was gone and the celebration began!

Now that its all over I can tell you that no matter how much you try to prepare for draft day, you cant be ready for all the different and intense emotions that you will experience as the process unfolds. The nervousness, anxiousness, and excitement cant be described. My mom and dad and I just hugged and cried for a while as soon as they called my name on TV. In that moment, I was reflecting on my football journey: playing in the yard back on Hamilton St. in Seaside, CA., then on to Pop Warner when I was 9 years old, then on to Seaside High, and last to UW, where I was able to help start a new chapter for the program by going out with a Bowl win. This isnt the end though; its just the beginning.

Mason gets to follow in the footsteps of childhood idol Derrick Brooks.

Playing for the Buccaneers is the best thing I could have asked for. Ive actually followed the team since I was a kid because I looked up to Derrick Brooks and because I used to go to Coach (Herm) Edwards youth football camps back in Seaside. I think Im a great fit for the over 4-3 defense that we run, and the coaches told me they like the fact that I can play any linebacker position in our scheme.

This is a franchise with a tradition of tough, fast defenses and I cant wait to team up with guys like DaQuan Bowers, who I trained with at API in Los Angeles before the Combine, and Brian Price, who I played against in the Pac-10, to continue that tradition. We are a great young team and Im excited to play for Coach Morris and Coach Baker.

Im going to come in with the attitude that I will help the team in any way necessary so that we can get back to the Super Bowl. Its also real cool to be going to a new city like Tampa Bay. I know we have the best fans in the NFL and a great stadium and Im excited to get down there and get to work. I also want to give a shout out to my UW teammate Jake Locker, who got drafted by the Titans. We play in Tennessee this year, and it will be cool to see Jake in an NFL uniform but a little weird seeing him on the other sideline. Just like practice at UW I guess!

As I look back on this entire draft process, I am blessed to have been a part of it and Im glad its over. Most of all, Im happy with the results. At the end of the season, draft experts were saying I was a fifth round pick, but I worked hard and proved that I was better than that with my performances at the Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro Day, and I ended up being a top 100 pick. Its great knowing that all my hard work paid off and now I plan on helping my new family in Tampa get back to the Super Bowl.

Thanks to all of you for following me and for reading my journal entries through this process. Go Bucs!!!

-Mason

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 15, 2011, 04:34:22 PM

Hope this dude is a baller. He seems like a cool kid. It would be awesome to have a linebacker on the roster again that I'm proud of and would actually buy his jersey. Last time I had a Bucs linebacker jersey was in 1998 when I bought a Derrick Brooks jersey. Great defenses have great lines, but the linebackers give a defense an identity. I am so ready for a new identity. I hope Foster is just one piece to a whole new LB corp and a bigger, meaner identity.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#2 : May 15, 2011, 04:46:37 PM

"For example, one of the teams that had me ranked the highest on their board traded away the pick we thought they might use to select me so that they could move up and fill a bigger team need."

Sounds like he was expecting to be a falcon at the end of the second round.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 15, 2011, 04:51:56 PM

Welcome aboard, Mason! Put the Fail-cons in intensive FOSTERcare!! 8)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 15, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

I would prefer to see players make an impact with their actions.

The mighty mouths have said enough.

Prove it.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 15, 2011, 06:24:46 PM

Bold, cmon man, what do you want them to do? we're in the middle of a lockout!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 15, 2011, 06:29:28 PM

good read!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

BucFanOcala1

Second String

#7 : May 15, 2011, 06:33:08 PM

Foster is a talking beast!everyone look how long his arms are!  He's huggin the whole group   in that picture..lol

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 15, 2011, 06:59:20 PM

I would prefer to see players make an impact with their actions.

The mighty mouths have said enough.

Prove it.
Boid - what has your panties in a wad?  The kid was interviewed about the biggest moment in his life to date - cut him some slack... LOL

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#9 : May 15, 2011, 07:51:21 PM

They all say it. Few of them actually do it. Save the words and show me results.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

bouconagain

Pro Bowler
#10 : May 15, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Yeah, I wish Foster would have just shut up and sacked the quarterback in response to that question.  He should have just walked away, put on his helmet, and caused a sack fumble and returned it for a touchdown.  I'm totally down on the kid now for responding to a question with words instead of action on the football field.  What a toolbox.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 15, 2011, 08:05:47 PM

its good he has something to prove.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 15, 2011, 08:15:58 PM

wonder what team it was that hung up on him

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 15, 2011, 08:29:06 PM

Probably the Fail-cons!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 15, 2011, 09:00:09 PM

Mason_Foster
wit my brotha @D_GO25 watchin old films of my favorite LBeast of all time@DBrooks55 on NFL Network, plottin on how to be that nice

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mason Foster...One team hung up on me, I will make them regret that decision. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools