Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aso in Tampa? Why not? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 16, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »

Asomugha in Tampa Bay? Why not?
May, 16, 2011
Source:   ESPN By Pat Yasinskas

In this Hot Button debate, John Clayton and I throw out possible landing spots for potential free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

Clayton throws out the Houston Texans. I go with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even though there’s been a lot of speculation Asomugha could end up in the NFC East.

Here’s part of what I wrote in making the case the Bucs could be a player for one of the best cornerbacks in the league.

Tampa Bay isn't known as a big spender, but the Bucs are in a position to change that. Assuming that there's a new labor agreement in place, and that it will have a salary cap, the Bucs are going to be looking at the salary-cap floor. They currently have only about $62 million committed toward the 2011 salary cap. That's the lowest figure of any team. We don't know what the minimum will be yet, but the Bucs are going to have to spend some money to get there.

Ownership just might be willing to do that. The Bucs have an attendance issue. Even as the team improved and finished a surprising 10-6 last season, Raymond James Stadium failed to sell out once. One reason for fan apathy is that some feel the ownership won't spend big money to put a better product on the field.

Landing Asomugha could put an end to that perception, and he also would improve the product on the field. The Bucs are in good shape on offense with quarterback Josh Freeman, receiver Mike Williams and running back LeGarrette Blount. They've invested a lot in their defensive line in the past two drafts.

But there's an issue in the secondary. Aqib Talib is talented and young, and he's the team's best cornerback. But he's also been plagued by off-field troubles and his future is uncertain. Asomugha is more talented and proven than Talib. He also comes without headaches. Throw him out there with veteran Ronde Barber on the other side and let young corners E.J. Biggers and Myron Lewis develop behind them.

And why should Asomugha want to come to Tampa Bay? The Bucs are on the rise, and he could be part of the kind of team he never had in Oakland. He could live in a place with great weather, play in a stadium with a great natural-grass field and not have to pay state income tax, because Florida doesn't have one. The Bucs have one other card up the sleeve -- coach Raheem Morris. Put him and Asomugha in a room and he may sign a contract within an hour or two. Morris is charming, charismatic and a former defensive backs coach.

This would be a perfect fit for the player and team.

Check out the entire package over on our NFL home page. We've even got a SportsNation poll on where Asomugha might land. At last check, the Bucs were a strong contender in that poll.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 16, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

Only one reason why he would not land in Tampa. More money somewhere else. I'm sure we'll be involved in the FA period as it involves him. Tampa is becoming more and more attractive to young players and I think Aso would be not exception. The start and end of the arguement is that we WILL NOT overpay for FA talent. I suspect we'll offer him a very nice contract that will ultimately get turned down because someone else will give him a Albert Haynesworth type of contract.

We'll pay for talent (K2, Penn, Ward) but we will not give them more what we think is fair market value.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 16, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »

The most compelling part of that argument is the possibility of salary floor and Bucs currently standing at $62M....otherwise I don't see his signing as being consistent with the Rahiminik strategy. The labor terms of the upcoming season will probably dictate whether a signing like this happens IMO.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 16, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

Only one reason why he would not land in Tampa. More money somewhere else. I'm sure we'll be involved in the FA period as it involves him. Tampa is becoming more and more attractive to young players and I think Aso would be not exception. The start and end of the arguement is that we WILL NOT overpay for FA talent. I suspect we'll offer him a very nice contract that will ultimately get turned down because someone else will give him a Albert Haynesworth type of contract.

We'll pay for talent (K2, Penn, Ward) but we will not give them more what we think is fair market value.

All good points.  I have mixed feelings on this.  He is 30 years old and will command huge jack, but on the other hand he is great, great player.  Does it mess up team chemistry?

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 16, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

Perhaps he would like to go to a proven contender rather than an up-and-coming team?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 16, 2011, 12:45:26 PM »

No to Aso, for the same reasoning as below:

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Nnamdi Asomugha - DB - Raiders
SI's Peter King confirms that free agent Nnamdi Asomugha is not going to end up in Green Bay.
A player like Asomugha would fit on just about every team in the league, but it's just not realistic for the Pack to pursue a player with his pricetag. They are already worried about re-signing Jermichael Finley after next season and won the Super Bowl by building through the draft.
Related: Packers
Source: SI.com May 16, 9:12 AM

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 16, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »

If we cut Talib then maybe it makes sense for us, but I'm just not sure giving a 30 year old guy the biggest CB contract in the history of the NFL is wise....and have no doubt, he will get the biggest contract for a CB in the history of the NFL.

I think Rah feels he can get more from less. Meaning he can get cheap guys through the draft and FA and coach them up to exceptional levels. I think he'd rather spend the cap on other positions. I could me wrong, maybe he's drooling over Aso....but my gut tells me we'll pass.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #7 : May 16, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »

As I said in another thread, we don't need to add much more to this team. We need Nnamdi, Reggie Bush, a linebacker or two and a re-signed Davin Joseph. We don't need to sign a few middle of the road guys that are going to be cheaper just for the hell of it. Just use all the cap room we can to keep Davin Joseph and bring in Nnamdi, Reggie and maybe Stephen Tulloch and/or another free agent linebacker. Those guys are perfect fits for what the team needs. Reggie needs a new start, and what better place for that than Tampa? He'd come into a young, positive enviornment with a coach that he could really get along with, plus get to bust the Saints ass twice a year. He's an excellent blocker and pass-catcher out of the backfield. Tulloch is from Florida, still comes back and trains in Miami every summer and would give us the most physical, athletic presence our team has had at linebacker since Derrick Brooks.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 16, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

my gut tells me we'll sign him......jdouble and I got a big gut... things fell in place when we won the sb like a key fa wr signing.....only this time it will be a cb.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 16, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

when the bucs signed McCardell I told my wife we would win the sb....if we sign Aso the bucs will win the sb .

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 16, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

The Glazers made a statement that they're ready to spend some cash...we'll see.  We've heard it before from them. 
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/glazers-swear-they-will-spend-money-on-bucs/

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 16, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

The Glazers made a statement that they're ready to spend some cash...we'll see.  We've heard it before from them. 
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/glazers-swear-they-will-spend-money-on-bucs/

They said they will spend when the team is ready for a championship run.  I don't think that means this year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : May 16, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »

I'm not sure the value is there. I don't doubt Aso's talent level. I think he is probably the best CB in the game right now....but he is a shut down guy that plays man coverage. Playing man is harder than zone. You have to be great by yourself with no help and Aso is. That is why he'll cost so much. For a 3-4 team that uses a lot of man coverage and needs their CBs to be able to single handedly shut guys down....Aso is priceless.

Our defense, even with Raheem's tweeks, uses zone CBs that don't have to be as great as Aso to be great in our system. They depend on the system and always have help. I'm not saying Aso wouldn't be good here, but I don't think it is necessarily a good fit and his best attributes that make him great might go to waste here. I just think spending such a large percentage of our cap on a 30 year old corner back that is going to be ridiculously expensive because he possesses talents that aren't really the greatest fit in Tampa....might be a questionable decision. 

Then again, if he is that amazing, maybe it would be worth changing up the whole defense for him. I mean running cover two is pointless with Aso on the field. He's got his man, which means you can get creative with how you use your extra safety.

lilam3ll

Practice Squad

« #13 : May 16, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »

Then again, if he is that amazing, maybe it would be worth changing up the whole defense for him. I mean running cover two is pointless with Aso on the field. He's got his man, which means you can get creative with how you use your extra safety.

Exactly, we can leave other team's #1 with Aso and use that extra safety to play up against the run or on underneath routes.  He allows for so much creativity even with our current defense.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

« #14 : May 16, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

I'm not sure the value is there. I don't doubt Aso's talent level. I think he is probably the best CB in the game right now....but he is a shut down guy that plays man coverage. Playing man is harder than zone. You have to be great by yourself with no help and Aso is. That is why he'll cost so much. For a 3-4 team that uses a lot of man coverage and needs their CBs to be able to single handedly shut guys down....Aso is priceless.

Our defense, even with Raheem's tweeks, uses zone CBs that don't have to be as great as Aso to be great in our system. They depend on the system and always have help. I'm not saying Aso wouldn't be good here, but I don't think it is necessarily a good fit and his best attributes that make him great might go to waste here. I just think spending such a large percentage of our cap on a 30 year old corner back that is going to be ridiculously expensive because he possesses talents that aren't really the greatest fit in Tampa....might be a questionable decision. 

Great points, I agree. He would make any team better but would be more valuable to someone else.  For that same type of money it would take to land him we could snag a qaulity lineman, LBer, and 3rd down back.  Even if the Bucs spend money, I would be shocked if it was on Aso. If we dont cut Talib there is a 0% chance. I hope Im wrong though.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aso in Tampa? Why not? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools