Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm interested in hearing on how you all became buc fans « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#105 : December 20, 2011, 09:43:25 AM

funny how several people started following/rooting for the Bucs because of team colors, logo, uniforms.

They definately stood out among a lot of dark colored teams especially in the NFC. AS a kid I hated teams that had a letter (Green Bay/Chicago) or their name written (Jets/Bengals) on their helmets. Made me think their fans were too stupid to know who was who...turns out I was right about those places. :)

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#106 : December 20, 2011, 09:46:36 AM

I grew up a Patriots fan in Minnesota probably because of their old logo

who knows why I liked them.  It was a long time ago.
now that I live here they are my most hated team.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#107 : December 20, 2011, 09:52:13 AM

funny how several people started following/rooting for the Bucs because of team colors, logo, uniforms.
It's very often in the timing.
Giants- boring in the 1970's
Jets- Once Namath's knees were shot, they were terrible
Eagles- Ironically, I liked Mike Boryla, who would later become a Bucs QB. But as we all know, he wasn't exactly a poster child for success. I never really latched on to them and later came to dislike all Philly teams (except at the time the Flyers).

In Verner We Trust

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#108 : December 20, 2011, 09:56:56 AM

love that logo.  best uniform imo.  but the Creamsicles would look tremendous in the playoffs.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#109 : December 20, 2011, 11:18:24 AM

who knows why I liked them.  It was a long time ago.
now that I live here they are my most hated team.

That logo was awesome.   I think it's ridiculous they changed that.   I also think it's ridiculous the Bucs changed from their old creamsicles.   Both of those teams downgraded.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#110 : December 20, 2011, 12:08:59 PM

I've said this before in another thread, but it was the mid 80's, living in Minnesota, family made me a Vikings fan from birth. Games were blacked out. I was about 10 yrs old then, and thought, if I can't watch football, I'm going to root for the crappiest teams in the NFL. I chose the Bucs, based on performance and I liked the Bucco Bruce logo. I also picked the Patriots because of their color scheme and I liked the helmet. I stopped rooting for the Patriots after Drew Bledsoe was done, but have continued to root for the Bucs for 26 years. Lot easier to follow them with the Internet and Directv Sunday ticket :)

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#111 : December 20, 2011, 12:12:18 PM

your from Minnesota?  Grew up in Winona.  Haven't been back since 1989 or so when I moved to Florida.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#112 : December 20, 2011, 12:22:01 PM

Born and raised in the St. Paul area (live in Cottage Grove now). My only opportunity to get to Tampa was in 02, honeymoon, convinced the fiance to go there after the wedding. Vikes/Bucs game. Hope to get back down to Tampa some time soon.

sharkcoasttactical.com

Practice Squad

#113 : December 20, 2011, 01:57:36 PM

Moved to Tampa for school in 91.  Spent hours trying to manipulate the video game console at the time into letting The Bucs win the Superbowl.  Followed them ever since.

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#114 : December 21, 2011, 05:27:20 AM

Born in Tampa and raised in Clearwater.

Was a Vikes fan in '75 because of Tarkenton and the Purple People Eaters, and had dual loyalties in '76 when the Bucs arrived. Ditched the Vikes in '78 and started going to 4 home games a year with my Grandfather and Dad. That pretty much set the hook. When I could drive (1985) started to go to more home games. Went away to college and spent every Sunday cajoling bar owners - mostly the old Box Seat - in Nashville to put the Bucs on. I'd usually call in advance and tell them I was a fan of the opposing team and was bringing lots of people in. Often was stuck with a small tv, sometimes in black and white. Once drove 6 hours to Rivers Front Stadium to see the Bucs get killed by the Bengals 56-23.

Was back in Tampa for the '91 season and went to virtually every open practice at Pepin Rood that year. Saw all 8 miserable home games that season. Payed under face value for every ticket. If you survived that season, you are a Bucs fan for life.

Moved to DC in '92 and back to sport's bars - Mr. Days and Crystal City Sports Pub. Usually just 3-4 Buc fans there. Started going to lots of road games - RFK, FedEx, Baltimore, the Vet, Meadowlands (Jets and Giants), New Orleans, Atlanta, Foxboro, plus ocassional trips home.

Favorite live home game was opening day, 1997. Favorite road game is a tie between opening day at the Vet (the infamous Ricky Watters' "gator arm" day) in 1995, and a 17-14 win over the Skins at RFK featuring a 100+ performance from Lawrence Dawsey.
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm interested in hearing on how you all became buc fans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools