Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm interested in hearing on how you all became buc fans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 23, 2011, 10:59:49 AM

If you or anyone else leaves this site because you can't tell that practically everything Java says is with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek, I wouldn't say that's PR's fault.  Imagine the drudgery around here, especially because of the lockout, if there weren't people constantly trying to bring Java "back into the light" or "prove" that he's an ass.  He's saying stuff that wildly unpopular, and generally contrary to the facts which makes for an entertaining back and forth between himself and some other posters.  Why would anyone want to put an end to that?

I'd be willing to bet that Java is one of the main topics at the forum get-togethers.   Why?   Because he's intelligent and provides interesting points of view.

That or because he's a mindlessly negative, supremacist, thread crasher. One or the other.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#31 : May 23, 2011, 11:00:43 AM

I think the first explanation was correct.

bill_kir

Starter

#32 : May 23, 2011, 11:34:20 AM

i was 8, a Viking fan at the time, then saw the press conference/news release/announcement for the Buccaneers, fell in love with the Bucs helmet and have been a fan ever since

LABuc

Starter

#33 : May 23, 2011, 12:06:27 PM

'97. Grew up a soccer fan (I know, I know). Saw my first football game Bucs v. Pack, I fell in love with the defense and have been a die-hard ever since.

Having lived in Los Angeles all of my life, beating the Raiders in the Super Bowl brought me the greatest joy I have ever experienced and has cemented my loyalty for life.

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#34 : May 23, 2011, 12:14:54 PM

One of the Buc fans fortunate enough to grow up in a family where the Buccaneers are an institutuion.  Been watching games with my old man since I was 7 or 8 years old.  After 25 years of that you don't make plans when buc games are on.  The question isn't "if" it;s "where" you're watching the game, and there are no excuses. 

I feel blessed to have not had to be converted from another team or have a family devide because of football allegience.  I'm preaching here but, growning up in florida, with all the transplants, most of my friends seem to bounce around between different teams.  I'll see them durring football season and they're pulling for the Eagles and acting like they really care about it but I'm sure I remember them telling me they liked the falcons and seahawks at different times.  I feel sorry for those people because I can't see how they could really care or get the kind of high I do when the Bucs win or play really well. 

So anyway, if you have kids I hope you've got your family tradition started and I think your kids will thank you for it when they get older.  Its a real nice way to bring a family closer together. 

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 23, 2011, 12:46:45 PM

I'm from Atlanta, but my fam moved to St. Pete when I was in 1st grade.  I didn't care for sports until around middle school.  I always "cheered" for the Bucs because they were the local team, but it wasn't until we moved back to Atlanta when I became a fan.  That was 1999.  Falcons fans were so high on their team because they had recently been to a Super Bowl, so I wore my Florida team with pride.  That year we went to the NFC Championship and when we lost that game I was wrecked for days.  That game broke my heart as a young 8th grader.

I've been a passionate fan ever since.  It sure felt great to rub it in to all the Falcons fans when we won it all in '02/'03. :-)
: May 23, 2011, 12:48:19 PM elias

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 23, 2011, 02:16:19 PM

In 1991 I was working at Dean Witter.  One of othe big brokers had season tickets he was giving away and no one wanted them!  So I took them and my daughter and I went to our first game.We had fabulous seats and could see everything!   It was an awfu game. l.  Mckay was the coach and at half time everyone put on paperbags over their heads and sang the dirge song with Mckays name.  I was horrified for his familty but thought it was funny.   Became a Bucs fan at a great time, I think.

BTW  I did talk about Java at the G2G as in "What happened to him"  He used to be a great poster with lots of pix of the game and the cheerleaders....then something happened.  It was explained to me.  I leave it to you to find out on your own.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#37 : May 23, 2011, 03:04:18 PM

I've been a fan since the beginning. I was 10 years old during the inaugural season and my best friend's neighbors had season tickets. Whenever they had extras they would take me and my friend to the games. I attended maybe 2 games a year for the first few years and always had a great time. We would get there early, play football outside, eat hot dogs and hamburgers and just have a blast.

I took a hiatus from watching sports all together from about '83 to '96. I started watching the Bucs again in '96, going over to visit my parents every Sunday and watching with them. I haven't missed a game again since.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

smove28

Starter

#38 : May 23, 2011, 04:30:08 PM

I'm from DC. I was raised to be a hardcore Redskin fan, but Doug Williams was always my favorite player. When he became quarterback for the Redskins, all my dreams came true and when he won the Super Bowl for the Redskins when no one gave us a chance against Elway I was on top of the world. Then it happened. The Redskins made  Doug Willaims compete to be a starter with MArk Rypien that offseason, after his superbowl performance no less and I was pissed off that they would treat him like that. I was so mad that I said screw the Redskins, I'm rooting for the team my favorite player was drafted by in the first place. And I have not looked back and not regretted a day of being a Buc fan. Even tho i believe that was around the Ray Perkins years if i'm not mistaken. lol   GO BUCS!!

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 23, 2011, 04:50:37 PM

My short answer is Mike Alstott, which is what I tell people when they ask.

The whole answer is that I was a kid and liked playing as Mike Alstott and TB on the original NFL blitz. I always played little league and neighborhood football and Loved the sport but didn't really watch it on tv. Started playing as TB on the video game. Started watching a few games on tv, became a regular fan thru high school and a complete fanatic thru college. It was great being a freshman in college when they won the superbowl - the beer flowed like wine. I'm now a full blown addict. Can't miss a game. I don't even like going to the bar to watch anymore because there is no sound.

Mike Alstott and NFL Blitz. Yep.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

youngone

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 23, 2011, 05:07:51 PM

I was born in the bahamas. Dad wanted to me to be a steeler fan mom wanted me to be a cowboys fan but in 97 I saw those jerseys for the first time n my search was over. I was young what can I say but I loved sapp brooks lynch dunn everybody. Didn't realize I was a die hard until the year we went against the rams in the playoffs. I was sick for days after that game.. damn ricky proehl

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 23, 2011, 05:27:01 PM

damn ricky proehl

Agreed. I curse the day that man was born.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

youngone

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 23, 2011, 06:03:14 PM

damn ricky proehl

Agreed. I curse the day that man was born.
It was bcuz of him my parents heard me curse for the first time

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 23, 2011, 06:10:35 PM

Man, lots of love for one of my least favorite Bucs, Mike Alstott. :)

I don't ever remember not being a fan. We moved here back in 1981 or 82 and my father took us to games as little kids. He grew up outside of Boston, but as far as my memory goes back, he always was a Tampa Bay fan. I assume he wanted us to grow up fans of the local teams so we'd have memories going to games and supporting our team like he did when he was young and was a fixture at the Boston Garden.

I remember back in high school, I won a pair of tickets to a Bucs-Vikings game on one of the radio stations where they were giving it away to the 7th or 10th caller or whatever and then after a bit, just said, "Anyone who wants these tickets, call up and they're yours." LOL.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#44 : May 23, 2011, 06:14:18 PM

When I was younger, probably around 4-5, the Panthers were just starting out around here and everyone in the Carolinas cheered for them. For the most part, I've always rooted against the unanimous team in my area. Hate the Braves, Hate the Redskins, Hate the Panthers. At the age I started cheering for the Bucs because to me they had the best looking logo. Its a weird reason, but I was young and that's often how I choose things. It just like when you go to election center and have to start voting for county clerks and stuff like that. I've always went by the coolest name. Wannapaluzi would always be selected over someone like Smith or Johnson.

Since that day I've been a diehard Bucs fan since and look forward to the Bucs/Panthers games each year.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm interested in hearing on how you all became buc fans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools