Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Polamalu says players fight is bigger than just money « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: May 24, 2011, 04:26:45 AM

I think what the players are fighting for is something bigger, Polamalu said. A lot of people think its millionaires versus billionaires and thats the huge argument. The fact is its people fighting against big business. The big business argument is I got the money and I got the power therefore I can tell you what to do. Thats life everywhere. I think this is a time when the football players are standing up and saying, No, no, no, the people have the power.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/23/polamalu-says-players-are-fighting-big-business/

Pretty much explains why we wont be having any football in 2011 if most of the players have the same attitude as Polamalu. In other words, many of these guys on both sides are not looking for a fair deal. And it's not even ONLY about the money. Its about one side wanting to win and screw over the other side. And if both sides continue with that attitude, we wont see any football. Neither side is going into the mediation with the attitude "let's make a deal." Neither side is doing that right now.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 24, 2011, 07:45:15 AM

I think what the players are fighting for is something bigger, Polamalu said. A lot of people think its millionaires versus billionaires and thats the huge argument. The fact is its people fighting against big business. The big business argument is I got the money and I got the power therefore I can tell you what to do.

Funny, that's exactly how it is. You have the money, you have the power. Maybe it shouldn't be that way all the time but it is very much so in the NFL. All the players are free to retire and walk away. The fact that they are not just proves the point that they have no power. They all need money and football is the only way most of them will ever make a substantial amount of money. Like it or not, every player is replaceable. It may be with a lower quality player but the game will go on without Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. If the Glazers decide they don't want to play football anymore, the bucs are finished.

So sorry Troy, but the players have very little power and that's the way it is.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 24, 2011, 08:21:33 AM

Sadly it is about money so Troy is either a liar or an idiot.

The NFL has agreed to lower player contact hours, decrease OTA time, increase health benefits, they going to allow (stupidly) a third party for steroid and drug appeal, guarantees for injured players...pretty much what the players want other than cash.

In the end the owners are even agreeing to pay out actual cash, not cap dollars, under the proposed deal on an annual basis (so cutting a guy and accelerating his contract doesn't meet the cap floor). Rookie pay will increase in rounds 2-7. So tell me again who is being hurt, oh right Tom Brady and the #1 overall pick and most importantly the agents of said players.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 24, 2011, 08:50:03 AM

I been doing it wrong this whole time.. I'm goin right now to tell my boss jus bcuz I work for him and he got all the money doesn't mean he can't tell me what to while I'm at work.. idiot. Damn egos are out of control right now

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 24, 2011, 08:55:33 AM

Its all posturing at this point...  hand in hand with litigation, NOT negotiation.

Both sides are being selfish - and unfortunately we as the fans (who pay their salaries) now have to wait for
the flawed litigation strategy to play itself out.

I love the bucs and NFL football.  There are some idiots involved in running the show though...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 24, 2011, 09:16:31 AM

Borderline Pirates Cove comment but its just another example of how we demonize successful individuals in this country.  If you're an owner or high-paid CEO, you're evil.

Sad. Employees need to learn their place and realize that nobody is forcing them to do what they do.

Shut your mouth and play the game or go find other work, Troy.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

shawn731

Starter

#6 : May 24, 2011, 11:09:42 AM

The fight is not totally one sided.  Both parties need each other.  The Owners NEED the players. But the players do not need the same owners.  Imagine another entity replacing the current NFL model with their own and was able to get every player from the NFL to play for them.  The arguments of equating your current job to professional sports is dumb, they are not the same(please stop).

I do not know fully what is truth and fiction and to be honest only those behind the close door sessions really know what the owners/players are offering.  Some may call it Greed, but ultimately the owners want a better deal than the one the agreed to.  They decided that if they didn't get it they will lockout the players.  The players didn't accept the offer and they were locked out.  The basis for the owners argument is they are not as profitable and times are hard.  Players stated show the books, owners decline. I do not see how anyone can choose a side and say the owners are wrong or the players.   This agreement between both parties is unique, and the only ones who can fix it is them.  And honestly both sides are jockeying for position to get the upper hand.  If the players win the lawsuit they have advantage and vice versa.  But what most fans do not realize is that we hold the power.  Imagine if all ticket holders for the first game didnt show up, and decided to watch the game from other means. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 24, 2011, 11:18:11 AM

Any time someone says it's not about the money, it's really about the money.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 24, 2011, 04:39:54 PM

who would go see the owners play football....the players life on average is 54 years old......the owners are filthy rich......this is all about GREED....I hate the owners,they are GREEDY PIGS and don't give a damn about the fans.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 24, 2011, 04:41:23 PM

who would go see the owners play football....the players life on average is 54 years old......the owners are filthy rich......this is all about GREED....I hate the owners,they are GREEDY PIGS and don't give a damn about the fans.

This is an awesome post.  Very well thought out.  Thanks for making it a few hundred times.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 24, 2011, 04:43:26 PM

lol...

It's all about litigation.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 24, 2011, 05:06:51 PM

Shawn731 wrote; "Players stated show the books, owners decline. "

You are misinformed. Owners made 2 offers. (1) redacted copies of 5 years (2) Same five years via a third party financial institution.

Only response I saw from the players was they wanted 10 years-open books. That just ain't gonna happen! No company would every do that. Its none of the employees business-don't care who they are.
Would your company show you their books?  Question asked and answered.

Next.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 24, 2011, 06:05:10 PM

Publically-traded companies release their financials every quarter.

That's why we have have the Packer's financials. That team is publically-traded.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 24, 2011, 06:20:30 PM

It's really exactly like Ray Lewis said...the reason the lockout is continuing and likely will for at least a couple more months is pride. Pride on both sides. Both sides are unwilling to compromise because they think THEY are in the right and the other side needs to recognize that and give into THEIR demands. Which is why I get annoyed when people side solely with the players and act like they're innocent in all of this. Yes, the owners are being greedy and stubborn. But so are the players. Just because they aren't billionaires doesn't mean there isn't a lot of pride involved.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 24, 2011, 06:20:59 PM

Borderline Pirates Cove comment but its just another example of how we demonize successful individuals in this country.  If you're an owner or high-paid CEO, you're evil.

Sad. Employees need to learn their place and realize that nobody is forcing them to do what they do.

Shut your mouth and play the game or go find other work, Troy.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Polamalu says players fight is bigger than just money « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools