Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Polamalu says players fight is bigger than just money « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 24, 2011, 07:13:56 PM

Borderline Pirates Cove comment but its just another example of how we demonize successful individuals in this country.  If you're an owner or high-paid CEO, you're evil.

Tends to happen during a recession. People need to point a finger at someone.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 25, 2011, 04:56:30 AM

Legal question: Well, maybe question(s) if anyone can answer them..

Can either side use college games, stadium, and whatever revenue they obtain in the NFL revenue argument?

I say that because look at the lack of money college players have. Sure, they get the free ride though college and hopefully paying off in playing in the NFL. They (players) however don't make a dime off jersey sales, games, endorsements, etc and the colleges obtain that money to use it for building, paying bills, supposedly using it to pay of their college stay or whatnot you (or them) can think of.

Can the CFL, UFL, XFL, arena team's payroll matter in these NFL arguments? Compared to these guys, the NFL's boys are kings of luxury.

Can the Union site the payrolls/drafts of other sport teams, such as the Yankees? Less damage, more pay. Compared to football players, these guys live a tamed life yet get paid pretty Darn well if they're good.

Right now, can a player sign with (even if it's crazy) another sports team? They did "lock" them out after all, and I'm not sure if that means their contracts are null and void or whatnot for the time being while the lockout is active.

And the last question I have about all of this.

Would it be possible for other wealthy business entrepreneurs to scoop the NFL right out in front of their noses? Not saying it's possible, only that I would like to know if it were legally possible no matter how improbable it would be. If a huge group had the money could it be done whatsoever? I'm not saying buy the NFL, but rather compete and beat it with the NFL's own ex-players.

I was never all that good at legalese. Maybe someone could shed some light here.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 25, 2011, 03:00:45 PM

For the first time I can honestly say i'm losing interest. This point in the season is always a slow point and this year its been unbearable. We should be starting OTA and rookie stuff but we're deadlocked with absolutely nothing going on and I for one am sick and tired of checking websites hoping from some sort of news.

I've given up. If there is a season it won't be for a long long time and i'm gonna move on with my summer and stop sweating it. Sure i'll be on here to burn up free time at work but my official opinion on the matter is that nothing is going to happen anytime soon, wake me when there is a deal in place.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 25, 2011, 10:07:29 PM

It's the money. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 25, 2011, 10:14:50 PM

It's the money.

It's ALWAYS the money.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 26, 2011, 05:14:04 AM

Its the money but its also the more games played and also they want to be looked after healthwise when they retire. That has become more of a thing they are aware of now when they are seeing old retired players have some health problems from when they played. I see both sides of that though. I understand it would suck to have to deal with all of that when your older, but isnt that what you signed up for to begin with?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 26, 2011, 08:13:02 AM

Borderline Pirates Cove comment but its just another example of how we demonize successful individuals in this country.  If you're an owner or high-paid CEO, you're evil.

Sad. Employees need to learn their place and realize that nobody is forcing them to do what they do.

Shut your mouth and play the game or go find other work, Troy.

The "employee" label doesn't fit because the players are the actual product.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 26, 2011, 09:15:26 AM

Sad. Employees need to learn their place and realize that nobody is forcing them to do what they do.

How does that differ from any other performance career?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 26, 2011, 12:26:52 PM

Like a consultant? 

Are they not employees?

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 26, 2011, 01:34:14 PM

Like a consultant? 

Are they not employees?

Like a consultant? No. The literal product. The fans are the revenue and the owners are the glorified middle men. It's a partnership more than an employee-boss situation. The players and owners split the revenue and are having an argument over the percentages.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 26, 2011, 04:41:10 PM

There really isn't much difference between the two - there is no product, only the employees' talent that others pay for.

Partnership?  So Jim Irsay gets a portion of Peyton Mannings endorsements? 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 26, 2011, 06:47:26 PM

the players are easily replaceable.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 26, 2011, 07:06:23 PM

the players are easily replaceable.

I'd be interested to see the number of current players that have been in the NFL for 5 years?  10 years?  15 years?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 26, 2011, 08:47:39 PM

There really isn't much difference between the two - there is no product, only the employees' talent that others pay for.

Partnership?  So Jim Irsay gets a portion of Peyton Mannings endorsements?

There is $9B worth of product that the players and owners split. So yes there is a product (you have sig videos of the product) and there is a partnership.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 26, 2011, 10:43:52 PM

Like a consultant? 

Are they not employees?

Like a consultant? No. The literal product. The fans are the revenue and the owners are the glorified middle men. It's a partnership more than an employee-boss situation. The players and owners split the revenue and are having an argument over the percentages.
Oh dear Lord.   

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Polamalu says players fight is bigger than just money « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools