Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We find out about Talib today « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

4bucs

Hall of Famer
: May 25, 2011, 07:22:56 AM

Talib is lucky hes in Texas not NY ....he may get off .....but does Godell let him off...this is his 3rd or 4th incident......for that matter does Dominik let him off....I think not...hes to smart....a Leopard does not change his spots....people like Talib never change .....they just change teams.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 25, 2011, 07:27:10 AM

Well, if Talib gets off and ends up not facing any criminal charges it would be hard for Goodell to suspend a player for being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the entire season. Now he might get a four game suspension for conduct detrimental to the league. Which based on his 1 game suspension last season would be warranted under the repeat offender statuesque  verbiage of the old CBA, but since there is no current CBA I think the league is going to have a hard time suspending any of the players who ran afoul of the law during the lockout.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 25, 2011, 07:48:21 AM

Well, if Talib gets off and ends up not facing any criminal charges it would be hard for Goodell to suspend a player for being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the entire season. Now he might get a four game suspension for conduct detrimental to the league. Which based on his 1 game suspension last season would be warranted under the repeat offender statuesque  verbiage of the old CBA, but since there is no current CBA I think the league is going to have a hard time suspending any of the players who ran afoul of the law during the lockout.

Yuc, you're a smart guy. I'd love to read your opinion on what jurisdiction Goodell has over player conduct while they've been locked out of the building.... and whether the players could fight it in court.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 25, 2011, 07:48:33 AM

Talib is talented enough where he gets more chances than other players. Like it or not thats just the way it is. If he gets cleared of whatever, i think he serves his suspension and plays in a Tampa Bay Buc uniform in this season

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 25, 2011, 07:49:48 AM

Talib is lucky hes in Texas not NY ....he may get off .....but does Godell let him off...this is his 3rd or 4th incident......for that matter does Dominik let him off....I think not...hes to smart....a Leopard does not change his spots....people like Talib never change .....they just change teams.

Yes he is lucky, NY would have given him the death penalty, wait we don't do that. We would have given him free room and board for a long long time.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 25, 2011, 07:56:49 AM

I don't think he'll even get suspended if there are no charges. What would they be suspending him for, his mom committing a crime? People have been suspended without being convicted before, but has anyone ever been suspended without even being charged? If he's not charged it's basically saying they're not even sure he committed a crime. Goodell can't go down that slope. It would set a precedent to start suspending players on nothing more than rumors or conjecture.
: May 25, 2011, 07:58:30 AM leeroybuc93

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 25, 2011, 08:03:06 AM

Hate - I'm not sure he will have any jurisdiction over players who got into legal trouble when they are unemployed and not receiving compensation from the league. If the players are smart, they would be able to fight it. Of course the caveat is if a new CBA is worked out is there fine print included or language that bridges the legality of the locket and the personnel conduct policy allowing Goodell to act upon conduct detrimental to the league even though technically there was no league at the time of the supposed incident.  if these players were smart they would try to resolve any proceedings before a new CBA is reached. Thus giving them more ammunition to fight such a suspension should Goodell decided to play his hand and rein down on violators. 

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 25, 2011, 08:09:17 AM

I don't think he'll even get suspended if there are no charges. What would they be suspending him for, his mom committing a crime? People have been suspended without being convicted before, but has anyone ever been suspended without even being charged? If he's not charged it's basically saying they're not even sure he committed a crime. Goodell can't go down that slope. It would set a precedent to start suspending players on nothing more than rumors or conjecture.

Roethlisberger. And Talib isn't getting the benefit of the doubt either. Some more serious than others, but this is now the 5th time he's been in the middle of something the league doesn't like: Rookie symposium fight, hitting Cox in the face with his helmet aimed at Penn, punching the cab driver, altercation with ref after the Ravens game and now this, which is the most serious. Plus there are probably more that the media doesn't know about but the team and league do.

The lockout isn't going to work as a "get out of suspension free" card either.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 25, 2011, 08:23:51 AM

But Roethlisberger never denied getting hammered in a college bar and banging that chick in the bathroom. If Talib is not charged all they know he did for certain was to go to his sister's defense during domestic abuse. The two are not related. I guess maybe they could get him the pistol whip if he's charged with that. Roethlisberger clearly did something shady but if Talib's not charged we cannot say the same for him.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 25, 2011, 08:30:41 AM

I thought the league couldn't suspend anyone who got in trouble during the lockout?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 25, 2011, 08:38:31 AM

If he gets off scott free, which I highly doubt, then he would be guilty of nothing. He was at home with family and he defended his sister from an abusive boyfriend. That's it. If he is not guilty of firing the gun then Goodell can't do **CENSORED**. He can't suspend Talin or fine him or anything for something his mother did.

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 25, 2011, 09:06:07 AM

Hate - I'm not sure he will have any jurisdiction over players who got into legal trouble when they are unemployed and not receiving compensation from the league. If the players are smart, they would be able to fight it. Of course the caveat is if a new CBA is worked out is there fine print included or language that bridges the legality of the locket and the personnel conduct policy allowing Goodell to act upon conduct detrimental to the league even though technically there was no league at the time of the supposed incident.  if these players were smart they would try to resolve any proceedings before a new CBA is reached. Thus giving them more ammunition to fight such a suspension should Goodell decided to play his hand and rein down on violators.

I agree. Just look at the StarCaps litigation. I took the league almost two year to suspend those players after they filed a lawsuit in court. I would only imagine that players facing suspensions due to conduct infractions, committed during a lockout, would have a much stronger case.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 25, 2011, 09:33:29 AM

But Roethlisberger never denied getting hammered in a college bar and banging that chick in the bathroom. If Talib is not charged all they know he did for certain was to go to his sister's defense during domestic abuse. The two are not related. I guess maybe they could get him the pistol whip if he's charged with that. Roethlisberger clearly did something shady but if Talib's not charged we cannot say the same for him.

I dont think anything, or at least much will happen to Talib as far as the team and league are concerned. I think he gets off with no conviction, but he IS charged. He has been charged, and is being charged currently. You have now twice written in this thread that Talib has not been charged.

My hunch is that when a new CBA is worked out, one side or the other will get their way on players who had troubles during the lockout. Either the players will concede that Goodell can punish those guys, or the league will appease the players some by allowing those deeds to go by the wayside. It will just be another bargaining chip.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 25, 2011, 10:26:03 AM

I dont think anything, or at least much will happen to Talib as far as the team and league are concerned. I think he gets off with no conviction, but he IS charged. He has been charged, and is being charged currently. You have now twice written in this thread that Talib has not been charged.

My hunch is that when a new CBA is worked out, one side or the other will get their way on players who had troubles during the lockout. Either the players will concede that Goodell can punish those guys, or the league will appease the players some by allowing those deeds to go by the wayside. It will just be another bargaining chip.

Yeah it was early and I was half asleep. I meant if they decide there's not enough evidence to go to trial. It's not the same as some previous cases. This is a clear cut situation where they have the evidence to say he fired the gun or they don't. There's not as much gray area as Roesthlisberger's case. If there's not enough evidence to proceed then there's no evidence Talib did anything wrong. This may all be a moot point in a few hours.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 25, 2011, 10:51:56 AM

Even though there is no gray area where the law is concerned if he is not indicted and subsequently charged. But there is a gray area where the league is concerned its called the personnel conduct policy where they league can suspend a player or fine a player for shedding negative light on the league, one of it's 32 member teams or the shield. So while he might get off from a legal standpoint, he could still face league sanctions. But as I stated earlier I think it will be hard for the league to suspend players who ran afoul of the law when they don't work for the team or the league when said incidents took place.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We find out about Talib today « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools