Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are Bucs Fans Mad at Bo? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Tuffy11111

Rookie

: May 26, 2011, 12:45:28 PM

Sorry for this random question, but I am an Auburn student, and I have to give a speech on my hometown (Tampa) and 3 main points, so I decided to talk about what I know....Sports (Lightning, Bucs, Rays).  Anyway I wanted to throw the whole Bo Jackson ditching the Bucs to play baseball thing into my speech, but I don't know if the fans were actually mad at him, or at the Bucs organization.  My speech is in a couple of hours so any insight would be helpful.  Thanks

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 26, 2011, 12:48:28 PM

Of course it probably affects how most Bucs fan view him because that is always in the back of our mind. Are we mad? Ehh I don't know if thats the right word for it.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 26, 2011, 12:54:57 PM

It's been a long time, so I have a little trouble recalling the circumstances. I recall that Bo stated before the draft that if he were to be drafted by the Bucs, he would play baseball instead. The Bucs drafted him, and he played baseball. I remember some blurb that the Bucs thought he was bluffing because "he couldn't hit a curveball." He told the Bucs what he would do, and stuck to his guns. It was the Bucs' fault.

Hope my memory matches reality.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 26, 2011, 01:05:57 PM

I don't blame Bo. The team during the Culverhouse years was totally dysfunctional.

Your speech is in a couple of hours and you are just now trying to put it together?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 26, 2011, 01:08:08 PM

I blame the ownership more than I blame Bo Jackson.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 26, 2011, 01:25:54 PM

+1

Bo just did what he said he would do.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 26, 2011, 01:29:22 PM

+1

Yea I understand why he did and the positions the Bucs were in but I don't believe a player being drafted should be able to chose where he wants to or doesn't want to play. Just like I don't agree with what Elway and Manning did. Whats the point of having a draft when certain players can control where they land?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 26, 2011, 01:32:54 PM

+1

Yea I understand why he did and the positions the Bucs were in but I don't believe a player being drafted should be able to chose where he wants to or doesn't want to play. Just like I don't agree with what Elway and Manning did. Whats the point of having a draft when certain players can control where they land?

Just because a guy is drafted doesn't mean he has to go to that team, or in Bo's case, play football.  Rookies are free to sit out of football a year if they choose to.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 26, 2011, 01:37:14 PM

+1

Just because a guy is drafted doesn't mean he has to go to that team, or in Bo's case, play football.  Rookies are free to sit out of football a year if they choose to.

Doesn't the team own his rights or does he get to reenter the draft next year with the other team getting nothing?

champkind

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 26, 2011, 01:55:25 PM

Doesn't the team own his rights or does he get to reenter the draft next year with the other team getting nothing?

They own the rights for one year. Then he is draft eligible again.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 26, 2011, 01:55:59 PM

Correct.  The teams owns the player's right for one year.  If the player goes unsigned for that year, he can reenter the player pool.

Bo told Tampa not to draft him and that he wouldn't play for the Bucs.  Tampa thought he was bluffing.  Well, he wasn't....

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 26, 2011, 02:29:31 PM

Bo told Tampa not to draft him and that he wouldn't play for the Bucs.  Tampa thought he was bluffing.  Well, he wasn't....

This sums it up for me.  I have nothing against him.  It was a stupid move by the team.

bucs63

Starter
#12 : May 26, 2011, 02:34:40 PM

Bo said wouldn't play for the Bucs - this is true. But Bo is still the biggest d bag player ever associated with the Bucs.  And seeing him in the Raider uniform pissed me off every time.

Tuffy11111

Rookie

#13 : May 26, 2011, 02:38:58 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. 

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#14 : May 26, 2011, 03:24:45 PM

This is the only case in history where the player was drafted #1 overall and refused to play for the team.   

Yes, I hate Bo Jackson.   He screwed the Bucs big time.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are Bucs Fans Mad at Bo? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools