Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and Mom indicted « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#15 : May 27, 2011, 02:47:12 PM

The fact that they had to go to a Grand Jury to charge him and then the fact that a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich coupled with the fact they have no Gun shot residue, Mom's is gonna take the charge on the gun firing, and only 1 shaky witness who is a sex offender himself = This case either gets plead down to a misdemeanor or he will be found NOT GUILTY because they will not be able to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT period. If more evidence or witnesses emerge then that is another story but based on what we know and Talib's excellent lawyers he will prob get off.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 27, 2011, 02:54:36 PM

Boid,

"Most of us are pretty sure he fired the gun."

From one of the reports I read, 17 of the 19 witnesses said otherwise.
Some even said they did not see him have a gun.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 27, 2011, 02:59:20 PM

Boid,

"Most of us are pretty sure he fired the gun."

From one of the reports I read, 17 of the 19 witnesses said otherwise.
Some even said they did not see him have a gun.
I agree, I was one of the guys to post that "factoid".

However, if the prosecuting team is going to jury, they have him dead to rights.  Talib is going to get suspended when the season resumes, and for a VERY long time.  If not, he will be dancing to the Jailhouse Rock.  Wonder if he can shake his booty to a little Elvis?

I am pretty certain Talib fired a gun.  I thought he was going to get away with it.  And 17 of 19 also means they have two witnesses.  That can be damning.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#18 : May 27, 2011, 03:03:35 PM

The indictment out of Dallas was not a return of a guilty verdict -- it only means there's an "official" charge. But no evidence on Talib's side has been presented.

"The grand jury was not privy to a number of important facts," Talib's attorney, Jay Reisinger, said Friday in a statement. "We are very confident that once we have the opportunity to present all of the facts, this matter will be resolved in Mr. Talib's favor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6599193

Let's hope his lawyer is really, really good.

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 27, 2011, 03:08:40 PM

The indictment out of Dallas was not a return of a guilty verdict -- it only means there's an "official" charge. But no evidence on Talib's side has been presented.

"The grand jury was not privy to a number of important facts," Talib's attorney, Jay Reisinger, said Friday in a statement. "We are very confident that once we have the opportunity to present all of the facts, this matter will be resolved in Mr. Talib's favor.

It might as well be a guilty verdict.  Not looking good.  And evidence has to be presented.  I am sure that Talib's attorneys evidence would have been presented quickly to avoid the indictment.  It was not, and now he is facing a rhino with a hammer.  Not looking good for Aqib.  His mother is effed regardless.

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#20 : May 27, 2011, 03:52:15 PM

Parents like that - he never had a chance.  Sad.

Agree it is sad. Such a shame too, love his game on the field.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 27, 2011, 03:55:06 PM

It might as well be a guilty verdict.  Not looking good.  And evidence has to be presented.  I am sure that Talib's attorneys evidence would have been presented quickly to avoid the indictment.  It was not, and now he is facing a rhino with a hammer.  Not looking good for Aqib.  His mother is effed regardless.

thats pushing it IMO. Its up to the prosecutor to prove his guilt and from all accounts weve read, theres not going to enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Talib did anything. Unless theres surveilance evidence we havent heard about, theres just not enough to convict him. I honestly dont think hell even have to plea down and hell just be not guilty. He should be getting a 4-8 game suspension though because its likely to still be in court if a CBA gets done before preseason.

also, I dont believe the defense can submit evidence to avoid an indictment. Its up to the prosecutor to provide enough evidence for it to go to trial. The defense has little to do with the indictment process.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 27, 2011, 04:13:05 PM

thats pushing it IMO. Its up to the prosecutor to prove his guilt and from all accounts weve read, theres not going to enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Talib did anything. Unless theres surveilance evidence we havent heard about, theres just not enough to convict him. I honestly dont think hell even have to plea down and hell just be not guilty. He should be getting a 4-8 game suspension though because its likely to still be in court if a CBA gets done before preseason.

also, I dont believe the defense can submit evidence to avoid an indictment. Its up to the prosecutor to provide enough evidence for it to go to trial. The defense has little to do with the indictment process.
A defense team is trying to avoid the most difficult path.  If talib had solid evidence, he would have submitted it BEFORE he even had to speak to an attorney, and the police/detectives can altogether avoid even putting Aqib in jail.

I am sure if Talib had any solid evidence, he would have submitted to avoid his situation altogether, espescially knowing he is about to lose his source of income,possibly for a long while.

And an indictment by the DA is not good.  He is going to get hit with something, no doubt in my mind about that.  His days in Tampa are coming to a close, I have all but assumed this already.

Talib has talent, he has no brains, or class.

I woud much rather have Scrabble anyway.  So would Raheem Morris, I am quite sure.

Lawyers, particularly prosecution lawyers, are always shooting to increase their conviction rates.  They seldom, and rarely levy a charge without knowing they will get some sort of "settlement" out of the case.  Otherwise, they just catch and release.  Talib is going to get something out of this.  And I highly doubt it will be his "innocence", as he claims.  Just my guess from basic gathering of facts.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : May 27, 2011, 04:30:43 PM

I am sure if Talib had any solid evidence, he would have submitted to avoid his situation altogether, espescially knowing he is about to lose his source of income,possibly for a long while.

And an indictment by the DA is not good. 

The DA did not indict him...a grand jury did. There is no evidence on Talib's part presented before the grand jury which is why they almost always choose to indict. It's not a trial. Chances are this will be plead to a lesser charge since there seems to be evidence in dispute in the public record. I doubt it ever gets to trial. The big question is what length of suspension he'll get.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 27, 2011, 04:31:52 PM

A defense team is trying to avoid the most difficult path.  If talib had solid evidence, he would have submitted it BEFORE he even had to speak to an attorney, and the police/detectives can altogether avoid even putting Aqib in jail.

And an indictment by the DA is not good.  He is going to get hit with something, no doubt in my mind about that.  His days in Tampa are coming to a close, I have all but assumed this already.

Talib has talent, he has no brains, or class.

I woud much rather have Scrabble anyway.  So would Raheem Morris, I am quite sure.

Lawyers, particularly prosecution lawyers, are always shooting to increase their conviction rates.  They seldom, and rarely levy a charge without knowing they will get some sort of "settlement" out of the case.  Otherwise, they just catch and release.  Talib is going to get something out of this.  And I highly doubt it will be his "innocence", as he claims.  Just my guess from basic gathering of facts.
tatmanfish......boid is spot on.......could it be you are trying to push your opinion......when do you just say uncle...lol.
: May 27, 2011, 04:36:17 PM 4bucs

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 27, 2011, 04:34:39 PM

The DA did not indict him...a grand jury did. There is no evidence on Talib's part presented before the grand jury which is why they almost always choose to indict. It's not a trial. Chances are this will be plead to a lesser charge since there seems to be evidence in dispute in the public record. I doubt it ever gets to trial. The big question is what length of suspension he'll get.
A grand jury is a group of people.  The evidence will be discoursed over by a group of people.  It is essentially a trial.  The legal symantics is why lawyers get paid and have to go to school for years.  A lOT of crapola to sift through.

Talib is going to get slammed with something.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 27, 2011, 04:38:04 PM

Grand Juries essentially decide IF a guy has commited a crime that should be prosecuted.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 27, 2011, 04:38:32 PM

A grand jury is a group of people.  The evidence will be discoursed over by a group of people.  It is essentially a trial.  The legal symantics is why lawyers get paid and have to go to school for years.  A lOT of crapola to sift through.

Talib is going to get slammed with something.
you betcha.......said that a long time ago.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 27, 2011, 04:47:23 PM

"Police say about 7:30 p.m. on that Monday in March, Talib, 25, brandished a 9mm handgun and attempted to pistol-whip Shannon Billings, the live-in boyfriend of his sister, Saran Talib, 43.

Earlier in the day, Billings, 40, had scratched Saran's head with his hand and fingernails during a domestic disturbance, according to an arrest warrant. Talib's gun slipped out of his hand in a struggle and jammed when it struck a fence, police say. That's when Billings picked it up and began running down the 900 block of Green Pond Drive, they say.

Talib's mother, Okolo Talib, 58, arrived on the scene, stepped out of her vehicle, aimed her handgun at Billings and fired several shots, witnesses told police. Talib then grabbed the handgun from his mother and fired a couple of rounds at Billings, according to an arrest warrant. None of the shots struck Billings."

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/03/aqib_talib_surrenders_police.php
Billings added that Aqib Talib took the gun from his mother and fired at least two shots at him as he ran into the woods.

Something is very fishy. The prosecutor must have realized there is not enough time for all of that to have taken place. So they changed stories. Now, he was running down the street, not in the woods. Running straight down the street is the only way there was enough time for Talib's mom to get out of her car, get her gun out, shoot a few shots, and hand it over to Aqib, and then for Aqib to take MORE shots. Why WOULD he run down the street when he could duck behind a house, or into the woods for cover. Stupid prosecutors will do ANYTHING to lock someone up, whether or not they are guilty. F*in police state we live in. And...their star witness is a freaking woman beating scum of the earth. Armageddon must be upon us.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 27, 2011, 04:57:24 PM

DA's don't push for indictments if there is exculpatory evidence. It is a lot better to not indict because you don't get a loss charged to your record.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and Mom indicted « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools