Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and Mom indicted « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #30 : May 27, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »

The DA did not indict him...a grand jury did. There is no evidence on Talib's part presented before the grand jury which is why they almost always choose to indict. It's not a trial. Chances are this will be plead to a lesser charge since there seems to be evidence in dispute in the public record. I doubt it ever gets to trial. The big question is what length of suspension he'll get.

DA's don't push for indictments if there is exculpatory evidence. It is a lot better to not indict because you don't get a loss charged to your record.

The hell they don't. This guy has changed his story and they are going along with it. If you think there aren't DA's out there who will do anyhting to lock people up, you are naive. We live in a police state.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #31 : May 27, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »

The hell they don't. This guy has changed his story and they are going along with it. If you think there aren't DA's out there who will do anyhting to lock people up, you are naive. We live in a police state.

OK, sure. Tinfoil hats are on and operation paranoia is a go!

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #32 : May 27, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »

OK, sure. Tinfoil hats are on and operation paranoia is a go!

So explain how this scumbag woman beater changed his story and the prosecutor goes along with it. And, he changed his story to fit the only way it could have possibly happened. You, my friend, are naive.

You may want to look up some stats. We have more prisoners per capita than any other country in the world. The USA has 4% of the worlds black population, and over 50% of the worlds black prisoners.

Paranoia and reality are two very different things. I could post a thousand stories of overzealous prosecutors who prosecuted innocent people and suppressed evidence which would have cleared them.

http://mydd.com/users/redstatehatemonitor/posts/usa-has-more-prisoners-than-all-of-europe-india-australia-new-zealand-amp-brazil-combined  Educate yourself!

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

« #33 : May 27, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »

A trial can arise out of an indictment by the PA; a hearing in front of a magistrate, where the magistrate finds "Probable Cause." and an verdict by the
grand jury. 

On the grand jury the same people serve over and over on the jury.

It is the province of the prosecuting attorney. The PA has major influence on the Grand Jury.

Any good defense lawyer presents NO evidence before a grand jury because it alerts the prosecution to the aspects of his case and gives the prosecution a glimpse into what the defense will base his case on.

If the PA loses a grand jury verdict case, he can say I didn't personally issue an indictment, I had to try the case because the Grand Jury indicted.

Those who write off Talib are way premature.

So far the defense hasn't fired off the first shot.

Those who say they are sure Talib fired a gun are just leaping to conclusions.

The defense has been Closed Mouthed and will remain closed mouth until in the court room. 

Then there will be factors presented that were never heard before.

This is why the press gets things wrong so many time. They make up their minds based only on what the prosecution says, before the defense has its day
in court.

Whether you like it or not, this is how the criminal justice system works in the US.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #34 : May 27, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »

A trial can arise out of an indictment by the PA; a hearing in front of a magistrate, where the magistrate finds "Probable Cause." and an verdict by the
grand jury. 

It is the province of the prosecuting attorney. The PA has major influence on the Grand Jury.

Any good defense lawyer presents NO evidence before a grand jury because it alerts the prosecution to the aspects of his case and gives the prosecution a glimpse into what the defense will base his case on.

If the PA loses a grand jury verdict case, he can say I didn't personally issue an indictment, I had to try the case because the Grand Jury indicted.

The defense has been Closed Mouthed and will remain closed mouth until in the court room. 

This is why the press gets things wrong so many time. They make up their minds based only on what the prosecution says, before the defense has its day
in court.

Whether you like it or not, this is how the criminal justice system works in the US.
This. A Grand Jury would indict a ham sandwich. Tha'ts what they do. The question is why didn't the PA feel comfortable enough to charge him without the Grand Jury indictment. That says more to me and yes if the PA doesn't win then he can say that he was forced to prosecute because the GJ said so. All they have is Talib's word/Talib's lawyer Word against The Brother in-law's word(Very Shaky witness) and No real evidence that we know of. If his mom takes the charge and testify's on his behalf that she shot the gun after pleading guilty or taking a plea herself then the Jury is going to have a hard time almost impossible to convict him short of another credible witness or solid evidence that puts the gun in his hand and him firing it. So this thing imubo is in Talib's favor at this point considering he has the Lawyer that got Big Ben off as well.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #35 : May 27, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

Educate yourself!

The U.S. has such a high incarceration rate per capita because of its draconian drug laws. Has nothing whatsoever to do with this case.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #36 : May 27, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

grand jury. 

in court.

Good logical post.  Talib has already been convicted in the media...  I'm pulling for him.

The media-sea lawyers are already running rampant.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #37 : May 27, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »

grand jury. 

in court.

Exactly. Personally I feel Talib will ultimately plead to a lesser charge unless there really is no legit case against him. With that said, the indictment in itself means merely that the grand jury feels there is probable cause that a crime has been committed based on evidence presented by the prosecution only.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #38 : May 27, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »

MAY 27, 2011

Talib's mother admits to investigators it 'could've been Aqib who shot,' at his sister's boyfriend

The mother of Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib admitted to police in an interview that her son could’ve fired a handgun at his sister’s boyfriend as he chased him during a domestic dispute last March.

That information was part of a three-page arrest affidavit that a Dallas County grand jury used Friday to return an indictment on Talib and his mother for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

The second degree felony carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in prison.

Police say that Talib pointed a 9mm handgun at the head of Shannon Billings, the live-in boyfriend of his sister, Saran Talib. He then attempted to pistol whip Billings before the gun was lost in the struggle, striking a fence and jamming.

That’s when police say Talib’s mother, Okolo, arrived at the scene and fired several shots at Billings with a .380 handgun. At some point, Aqib Talib gained possession of his mother’s gun and fired two shots at Billings, according documents released Friday.

Talib, 25, is a former first round pick from Kansas State and arguably their best defender who led the Bucs with six interceptions last season.

The indictment could jeopardize Talib’s career since NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said players are still held to the league’s code of conduct during the ongoing labor dispute.

Aqib Talib, who was suspended one game last season for assaulting a St. Petersburg cab driver in 2009, apparently was aware of his predicament when he yelled, “you’re going to make me throw away my career,’’ as he attempted to pistol whip Billings, according to an arrest affidavit.

Aqib Talib and his mother gave conflicting statements about how as many as five shots were fired during an altercation in a quiet Dallas suburb of Garland, Texas on March 21.

In an interview with detectives four days after the shooting, Okolo Talib may have provided police with the most incriminating evidence against her son.

Okolo Talib said after Aqib took the gun from her, ‘she did hear a shot and eventually admitted it could’ve been Aqib who shot,’ according to the arrest affidavit. She also said after Aqib ‘took the gun from her, he chased after Billings with the gun.’’

Through his attorneys, Aqib Talib has denied charges. In fact, he told police that he had left his 9mm handgun at his sister’s house a month or two earlier. He said he saw Billings with the weapon when he drove up to the brick house in the quiet Dallas suburb.

Billings, who said he obtained the 9mm from Aqib in the struggle , eventually led police to the handgun he had stashed a trashcan behind his house. The .380 handgun used by Okolo also is registered to her son, according to documents released Friday.

Jay K. Reisenger, Talib's Pittsburgh-based attorney who has represented Alex Rodriguez, said he's confident the matter will be resolved in Talib's favor once all the evidence is presented.

"It is important to note that the indictment is merely a formal accusation, and that Mr. Talib has not been convicted of any crime with respect to this matter,'' Reisenger said in the statement. "The grand jury was not privy to a number of important facts. We are very confident that once we have the opportunity to present all of the facts, this matter will be resolved in Mr. Talib's favor. Aqib looks forward to putting this matter behind him and returning to the game of football.’’ Riesinger denied further comment.

However, in interviews with police, Aqib Talib gave several conflicting statements but maintained it was Billings who pointed the gun at him.

Aqib Talib said his mother used another gun to fire several shots at Billings’ feet. When Aqib attempted to take the gun away from her, he said his mother fired ‘two more shots in the air.’’

But investigators recovered at least one shell casing from the .380 in the driveway of a house across the street from Saran Talib, buttressing Billings’ claim that he was chased in a wooded area by Aqib Talib, who fired shots at him.

Dectectives concluded after interviewing witnesses that "Okolo and Aqib Talib fired the .380 handgun,' at Billings and Aqib attempted to 'pistol whip,' Billings with his Springfield 9mm, the affidavit said.

.Posted by Rick Stroud at 6:37:01 pm on May 27, 2011 |

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #39 : May 27, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »

Educate yourself!

The U.S. has such a high incarceration rate per capita because of its draconian drug laws. Has nothing whatsoever to do with this case.

Hell has just frozen over... Something we agree on.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #40 : May 27, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »

Educate yourself!

Our drug laws are terrible, but that has nothing to do with my observations in this case. That is subject for another thread(preferrably in the Pirates Cove).

What really happened on that day? Did he run through the woods like he initially claimed, or did he run down the middle of the streeet so that they could take pot-shots at him from behind? When the scumbag woman beater changes his story, it evokes a lot of su**CENSORED**ions, particularly when running down the street was the only way it was even possible for the allegations to be true. It was a residential neighborhood. If he was running, why not duck between two houses? And how does he know who shot at him? Let me guess, he was running backwards down the street, watching Mama shoot and then Talib shoot, yet it never crossed his mind to step out of the way of the bullets and dip between two houses. This indictment is a joke. The grand jury are a bunch of nit-wits.

I don't want to derail this thread completely, but like I said before I could post thousands of non-drug cases where DA's blatantly, fraudulently try to prosecute innocent people. It would not surprise me, and given the flip-flop of the witness, I believe it is very highly likely in this case that is what is happening. An ethical DA would not even try to get a prosecution when their star witness has flip-flopped their story. Does the word credibility mean anything here? Talib's lawyers will eat this scumbag for lunch unless they have another witness. The DA is the one who should be indicted IMO.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #41 : May 27, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »

He apparently was aware of his predicament when he yelled, “you’re going to make me throw away my career,’’ as he attempted to pistol whip Billings, according to an arrest affidavit.

I think I may join the Aso bandwagon.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #42 : May 27, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »

He apparently was aware of his predicament when he yelled, “you’re going to make me throw away my career,’’ as he attempted to pistol whip Billings, according to an arrest affidavit.

I think I may join the Aso bandwagon.

Who claims that Talib said that?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #43 : May 27, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »

grand jury. 

in court.

Great post. Maybe some other posters (Boid being the main one) will do some reading to learn about the job of grand juries and how they work. And maybe they'll learn why Talib's side didn't present evidence.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #44 : May 27, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »

Boid and others, take the time to learn why the defense didn't present evidence. Ignorance is no excuse...

Texas grand juries depend mostly on evidence presented by the prosecutors. The accused do not have a right to present evidence, although a grand jury often allows a defendant to testify. Defense attorneys are not allowed to attend grand jury proceedings or present evidence without the permission of the prosecutor, which seldom happens.

Read more: Texas Grand Jury Rules | eHow.com...

http://www.ehow.com/info_8389391_texas-grand-jury-rules.html#ixzz1Nbz8Zxpp
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and Mom indicted « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools