Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Jeff Faine WILL be on the Bucs roster next season. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 29, 2011, 02:37:55 PM

.Jeff Faine Will Be On The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Roster Next Season

Source:  http://ffd.me/jott4O
 May 28, 2011

Jeff Faine caused some controversy with his remarks these past week, when he claimed that the offseason were of no use to him and he wouldn't be showing up. This controversy was a little silly, if only because as an 8-year veteran Jeff Faine doesn't really need to work on blocking air and snapping the ball. Faine showing up for offseason workouts is only useful for team chemistry. At best he could help some young O-linemen with their technique and blocking calls, but I doubt that would make much of a difference. Then again, Jeff Faine relented and joined the other Buccaneers anyway.

In any case, this small controversy certainly reminded us that Jeff Faine's place on the team isn't entirely secure. There were some rumblings about his place on the team earlier this offseason, and there are some reasons to believe he could be at risk of losing his job. Faine has been a good center these past seasons, but hardly a standout, and he's missed 12 games with injury these past two seasons. Jeremy Zuttah has filled in decently, and would come at a much lower price point. Faine is scheduled to earn around $4.5 Million this season, while Zuttah will earn just over 10% of that.

There seem to be some superficial reasons to get rid of Jeff Faine. But if we dig a little deeper, it seems very unlikely that he'll be cut. Jeremy Zuttah was an adequate center last season but was inconsistent snapping the ball, and if Zuttah were to go down the Bucs have no depth behind him at center. And we can all remember what a poor center can do to an offensive line: when the Bucs had Jonathan Compas starting a couple of games in 2009, the Bucs offensive line couldn't stop any defensive tackle from getting into the backfield.

There's another reason why Faine will be on the roster regardless of his salary: if the season starts, it is very likely a salary floor will be in place. And with a salary floor comes a need to spend for the Buccaneers, as they are currently far below any prospective salary floor. This means they're more likely to keep a highly-paid veteran to help them reach the salary floor.

Finally, the Buccaneers could use every bit of veteran leadership next season, as the offseason continues to get shorter. The roster is made up almost entirely of players with fewer than 3 years experience in the NFL, and veteran savvy can go a long way for a team like that.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 29, 2011, 02:58:51 PM

Sounds reasonable.

However, doesn't Larsen have some center experience? But then what do you do at his position at guard?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 29, 2011, 03:06:22 PM

I like Zuttah at center, even more now, that I know he makes one tenth of Faines salary.  Is Zuttah one tenth the player Faine is?  I think not.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 29, 2011, 05:48:52 PM

I like Zuttah at center, even more now, that I know he makes one tenth of Faines salary.  Is Zuttah one tenth the player Faine is?  I think not.

...and in the end this is what matters. If Faine was any good you might want to keep him but as it is, well he's not and his backup is better in every known measurable.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 29, 2011, 06:15:02 PM

Reasons given in the article to keep Faine:

1)  He is not the worst center Tampa Bay has ever started.
2)  He is highly paid.
3)  He is old. 

What the organization does with Faine if a new CBA is agreed upon is a good indication of how close they think we are to being a contender and how willing they are to spend money on the FA market (imo).  Keeping him will not be a good sign for either (again, imo). 

BucFanOcala1

Second String

#5 : May 29, 2011, 06:24:02 PM

lol Damn jeffy how much did you pay that **CENSORED** to write that article??? No matter how much it was there wasent one single reason to keep your deformed looking ass around..

I don't think there's ever been a buccaneer in history that I have trully seethed this much..Ever...

O jeffy boy O jeffy  boy...">>chirps and whistles":,,,,<<<,

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 29, 2011, 07:13:06 PM

"Jeremy Zuttah was an adequate center last season but was inconsistent snapping the ball, and if Zuttah were to go down the Bucs have no depth behind him at center."

I see why they need him to be there, but no reason to start him really. Zuttah is just as good at this point in Faine's career. I don't know why anyone would complain about Zuttah's snaps when Faine's are just as bad. The way I see it, Faine was once MUCH better than Zuttah will ever be, but the problem is, Faine is not the same guy he once was and most TB fans know Zuttah would last a whole season and add more continuity on the line. Yearly "vacations" make me wonder how this guy ever got to be a Captain in the first place.

Send Faine off and slap that "C" on Freeman already.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 29, 2011, 07:22:40 PM

The reason we keep him is simple... there is no depth.

Zuttah & Larson are needed at G right now!  There is no better replacement and we need every decent body we can get right now.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 29, 2011, 07:25:09 PM

Zuttah's shotgun snap improved from terrible to inconsistent.  He blocking was better than the injured starter, not the healthy starter.  Faine's snaps were far better and much more consistent.  Faine is no longer at the top of is game as he can't stay healthy - but he will likely still be ahead on Zuttah as Z hasn't yet done the off season work he needs to in order to be a starter at guard or center.  I am hoping Larsen steps past both if he is given the opportunity, or that Zuttah is spending this off season working on his game.   

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 29, 2011, 07:41:20 PM

Assuming there is free agency at some point, they could sign an O-lineman or two, and then have the option of moving Larsen and Zuttah around.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 29, 2011, 09:03:26 PM

Could care less how much Faine makes. 

The BUcs are well below the cap to worry about such matters.  And when you factor in they NEED to pay SOMEONE, it should be Scrabble.  Not Faine.

And Zuttah snaps like he is launching Rockets at Freeman.  Awful.

Not a fan of either guy to be honest.  And Zoot had all the physical talent to be a beast.  Entitlement kills.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 29, 2011, 11:42:11 PM

Could care less how much Faine makes. 

The BUcs are well below the cap to worry about such matters.  And when you factor in they NEED to pay SOMEONE, it should be Scrabble.  Not Faine.

And Zuttah snaps like he is launching Rockets at Freeman.  Awful.

Not a fan of either guy to be honest.  And Zoot had all the physical talent to be a beast.  Entitlement kills.

Writing Zuttah off already?  He is just a kid. Lets see how he does going forward.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#12 : May 31, 2011, 08:34:20 AM

Other than Freeman, the 2 critical players on the Bucs are Faine and Ruud.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 31, 2011, 08:56:58 AM

The reason we keep him is simple... there is no depth.

Zuttah & Larson are needed at G right now!  There is no better replacement and we need every decent body we can get right now.

^this

The Bucs haven't really addressed the O-line much in the last few drafts. They can't afford too much attrition there. That's why I wouldn't be surprised at all not only to see Faine back, but Joseph and Trueblood as well.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 31, 2011, 09:14:13 AM

i think we keep him as well. Depth is important. A center goes down it usually is tough to replace him. Weve won with Faine in there he cant be too bad.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Jeff Faine WILL be on the Bucs roster next season. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools