Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden could be off MNF « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 30, 2011, 01:06:00 PM

The Daily Shoutout
Source:   CBS Sports
Posted on: May 30, 2011 9:46 am

:JON GRUDEN AND OHIO STATE: There's one name already bouncing around the NFL as a possible long-term Tressel replacement: Jon Gruden.

That name isn't a shock, of course. Gruden will be linked to many big-time coaching openings, in college and the pros. But over the past few months, and before Tressel was kicked out on his ass, Gruden told more than a few people he was antsy and desired a return to coaching. One assistant told me Gruden hasn't been shy about it, either. Indeed, Gruden and Ohio State would be a perfect fit (though Urban Meyer might even be more perfect). Expect the usual Gruden denial to the Ohio State speculation but don't believe it for a second. Repeat: don't believe it. He'd listen and take it if offered. And Gruden coaching at Ohio State in 2012 would be perfect timing. 

As for Tressel, the NFL has always been fascinated with him. Infatuated might be a better word. You're always interested in something you can't have. "I always wondered why he never tried to be a head coach in the pros," one NFL assistant told me Monday morning in light of Tressel's resignation from Ohio State. That was the infatuation. He was one of a handful of great college coaches who was able to turn his back on the NFL. Even historical greats like Bobby Bowden at least flirted with the NFL.

Meyer might be the front-runner for the position but if you listen to NFL types, with their own sources and agendas, granted, Gruden is in the mix as well. We'll see.

Thank you to all of our soldiers stationed around the world.

See you Tuesday.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 30, 2011, 01:31:05 PM

Not a big Gru fan, and can't imagine him working with a bunch of young kids.  Recruiting trips to the parents homes? I think he waits for a good NFL job, or just stays in the booth.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 30, 2011, 01:44:39 PM

Not a big Gru fan, and can't imagine him working with a bunch of young kids.  Recruiting trips to the parents homes? I think he waits for a good NFL job, or just stays in the booth.

IMO, the collegiate ranks would be perfect for him as he's a "rock star" and would be able to charm the youngins. Also, those same players would be gone before he had a chance to wear on them.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 30, 2011, 01:52:17 PM

IMO, the collegiate ranks would be perfect for him as he's a "rock star" and would be able to charm the youngins. Also, those same players would be gone before he had a chance to wear on them.

Valid points.  I don't know the man, but he strikes me as a coach with very little patience.  Not a good recipe for college ball.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 30, 2011, 02:32:06 PM

Gruden would be a nasty recruiter.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 30, 2011, 02:43:04 PM

I'd rather see him go back to the NFL. I hope the author of the article has inside information when he states, "He'd listen and take it if offered." That's a bold statement.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 30, 2011, 02:57:25 PM

Gruden would be a nasty recruiter.

He could probably lure in the 4-5 star no-brainers, but if he's needed to find gems with 3 star recruits... I wouldn't hold my breath.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 30, 2011, 03:03:33 PM

Well if Gruden was going to go to a college team, this would be the year. With the lockout, who knows how many MNF games there might be, but OSU will play at least 12 games.

But I doubt OSU goes that way unless Frickell has gotten some of Tressel's stink on him. Frickell has been at OSU for 9 years, so he is there best bet at a seamless move away from Tressell.

I think Gruden will end up at Cincy or Miami after this season.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 30, 2011, 03:11:19 PM

I think Gruden will end up at Cincy or Miami after this season.
Wow, he's be walking into some tough divisions.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 30, 2011, 07:42:11 PM

why would he leave the mnf gig.

BuccaNova

Starter
#10 : May 30, 2011, 07:57:21 PM

I dunno.  He's not a rah-rah guy, he has a complicated, highly cerebral game plan, a history of preferring and seeking out veteran players and shunning rookie involvement; I can't see him being happy in college...though I can see him trying it for a payday, maybe.
I think he'll stay in his holding position. If the Jason Garrett experiment ends prematurely I can see Jerry convin$ing him to get back into it.   He might do well in a Jerry or Danny system, with deep pockets for veteran FAs and no real responsibility for scouting. He already worked for Al Davis, so he's used to a vulture hanging over his shoulder.  Also he likes the spotlight, so if Coughlin leaves, maybe New York?  He has one more year on the Bucs dime, is that right?  I think he'd like that better than college. I would, too. Would love to see him stalking the sidelines again, no matter how enetertaining he is in the booth.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 30, 2011, 08:00:46 PM

Java Just pooped himself in sadness and anticipation all at the same time. :D

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#12 : May 30, 2011, 09:59:36 PM

What is this now, the 100th time there has been an article saying Gruden is going to go coach some team?     It won't happen until after this season.   He has one more year of full pay from the Glazers this year (5 times what they are paying Raheem) so he can sit pretty on MNF and collect a double paycheck and spend time with his family.    He'll be coming back in 2012.    And most likely to the NFL.   

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 30, 2011, 10:22:40 PM

Gruden's son is a senior in HS. I'd be surprised he'd jump now particularly considering he's pulling full pay.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 30, 2011, 11:33:07 PM

What is this now, the 100th time there has been an article saying Gruden is going to go coach some team?     It won't happen until after this season.   He has one more year of full pay from the Glazers this year (5 times what they are paying Raheem) so he can sit pretty on MNF and collect a double paycheck and spend time with his family.    He'll be coming back in 2012.    And most likely to the NFL.   

Agreed. Gruden is going nowhere, that 5 mil has got to fit nicely in his pocket. And Gruden is not a college coach, his coaching style is fit for the NFL.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden could be off MNF « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools