Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The NFL.com guys pick their QB to start a franchise with. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 01, 2011, 12:20:11 AM

Arms race: Top young QB distinction offers fierce competition

Source:  NFL.com
Published: May 31, 2011 at 05:33 p.m.

Over the past three seasons, several young quarterbacks have established themselves as young stars in the making. For this debate, we included Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford. With that, we asked our experts: Which quarterback with three or fewer years of experience would you pick to start a franchise with?

Bucky Brooks
 NFL.com

Leader on and off the field
Each of the guys on the list is worthy of being considered as a franchise quarterback. However, I would choose Matt Ryan as my team leader. He has the game and intangibles to thrive as the leader of any franchise. I love the way that he has been an integral part of the Falcons' revival following the Michael Vick saga. Ryan's maturity and leadership have been on display since he stepped into the huddle as a rookie, and the team has won at a high level under his direction. I doubt many others would have been able to handle such a tough situation with the grace and elegance that Ryan has showed.
On the field, he has all of the physical attributes that you look for in a quarterback. He has a strong arm and flashes the accuracy to make the requisite throws. He combines those skills with excellent instincts, awareness and football intelligence. His steady development is a byproduct of his work ethic, which also sets the tone for his teammates.

Vic Carucci
 NFL.com

This is Sam's club
Each of the candidates could be capable of being a top-notch franchise quarterback. Ryan is the most accomplished, but Freeman has demonstrated that he might very well have the most overall physical talent of the group. Nevertheless, my pick is Sam Bradford. It isn't just his talent, which is immense, or his tremendous football intelligence and instincts. It's because Bradford managed to make all of his assets work to his and the Rams' advantage as a rookie.

Elliot Harrison
 NFL.com

Bradford is the real deal
Believe it or not, I'd take Sam Bradford. Yes, even over Ryan. While the latter gets so much credit, the fact is the Falcons haven't won anything with him yet. But unlike say, Tony Romo, Ryan doesn't get criticized at all for the lack of playoff success. That said, I think Ryan is the best player of the group now, but Bradford has the potential to be the very best down the road. What he was able to accomplish with a bunch of wide receivers most fans had never heard of and tight ends whose names you can't spell or pronounce was phenomenal. Steven Jackson's back is hardly ever healthy, either. Basically, Bradford did a lot by himself, and didn't whine. There's no one that covers the league that isn't impressed with the guy, and for good reason. Arm strength, maturity, leadership ... he has the right amounts of all of it.

Pat Kirwan
 NFL.com

Favoring the Falcons' young passer
If you asked me to pick a quarterback based on his first year of play in the NFL, it would have been Sam Bradford. The Rams felt so comfortable with him that they let him throw the ball 590 times. Compare that to Ben Roethlisberger's rookie season of 295 throws, Mark Sanchez's 364 attempts or Matt Ryan's 434 passes. But for a QB with three years of experience or fewer, I will take Ryan. Ryan has increased his touchdown passes in each of his three seasons, already has thrown for 10,061 yards, averaged 22 TD passes a season and is a fantastic leader. Josh Freeman is another guy to keep an eye on this upcoming season.

Charles Davis
 NFL Network

Freeman has it all
With all due respect to the young arms (and heads) that have playoff notches on their belts and plenty of talent (Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Matt Ryan), I'm picking Josh Freeman. I got to see him up close last year, and he has it all ... mind, body, arm, mobility, toughness, leadership and poise. All he's lacking is a trip to the playoffs, and that could come in 2011.

Steve Wyche
 NFL.com

Thrives under pressure
Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez have been to the playoffs and Josh Freeman is definitely a rising star, but it's hard not to look at Sam Bradford. What Bradford did last season in St. Louis, with so few weapons, it's easy to think this guy is going to be great for a long time. Even so, I'd still have to go with Ryan. Ok, he hasn't won a playoff game. However, he's won games with clutch drives and big plays to get his team to the playoffs. More than his ability and poise, what sets him apart is how his teammates follow him. They play hard for him at all times and respect how he leads. While Bradford has the same type of impact, Ryan just seems to have more of the intangibles that will work over a sustained period.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 01, 2011, 12:50:32 AM

How anyone could choose Bradford over Freeman blows my mind.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 01, 2011, 01:19:59 AM

Its Freeman for the win.  I think he is still under the radar a bit nationwide. But not after this season.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 01, 2011, 01:52:03 AM

I love Josh Freeman. I wouldn't trade him for a single other player in the NFL based on current ability + long term potential. That said, I don't see how anyone can question how someone might prefer Bradford. Bradford was unbelievable this past year as a rookie. I don't doubt for a second that these two guys will be the best two QBs in football over the next decade.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#4 : June 01, 2011, 02:41:52 AM

Are you kidding?   Compare what both of them did their rookie season.   

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 01, 2011, 03:02:41 AM

Bradford had a 76.5 rating as a rookie. Ryan had an 87.7. Flacco had an 80.3. Freeman had a 59.8. So it can't be said that Freeman was as good as Bradford statistically as a rookie, but the approaches taken with the two were completely different: Bradford had a full offseason of coddling and preparation, while Freeman's first offseason was bungled. He didn't get nearly the preparation of Bradford, but on the positive side threw caution to the wind and threw the ball down the field immediately. This led to a huge improvement curve in his sophomore season once he got a full winter of work under his belt. It cannot be said Bradford's receivers were any worse than Freeman's at similar stages. But Freeman certainly had the better receivers in real time and it may be that St. Louis never matches the Bucs in quality in that area. Bradford meanwhile has yet to show he can throw the ball down the field; his YPA is two yards below that of Ryan as a ROOKIE. He is 30th in the NFL in that area. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

In Verner We Trust

DanishBucFan

Second String
#6 : June 01, 2011, 05:31:41 AM

Bradford carried that Rams team to a close-to-playoffs season after having three complete crap-seasons. Nothing is ever certain in the NFL and one season does not make a career and all that, but considering his performance on a not very talented Rams team he seems like a very legit QB if you are looking to build a franchise. From what we have seen so far the sky is the limit for his career imo, but again who knows what will happen in year 2.
Flacco is carried by a strong team but it looks as he will have a very steady career but will not be able to pursue greatness. Ryan seems to me to be a notch over Flacco and will be a top 5 QB contender for years to come without ever cracking the top 3. Sanchez will never move above mediocre. He will lose as many games as he will win - game manager at best.
Freeman seems to have all you are looking for in a franchise QB but again he needs to repeat last season and improve from there. After next season I think things will be set straight.
For me it would be a choice between Bradford and Freeman, but to be honest: All the guys mentioned (except Sanchez) will be very good QBs in the future and all their franchises feel blessed to have them I am sure.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 01, 2011, 06:00:51 AM

Did you notice nobody picked Tebow?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 01, 2011, 06:26:20 AM

yea, maybe because you need skill to be a QB in the NFL. Heart can only do so much.  If heart was all you needed then Doug Flutie would have won a few super bowls.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 01, 2011, 06:29:36 AM

LMFAO. good one. Like I said, Java can't pick players for **CENSORED**.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 01, 2011, 07:01:20 AM

LMFAO. good one. Like I said, Java can't pick players for **CENSORED**.

Now THAT was a good start to my morning!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDog

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 01, 2011, 07:01:37 AM

Nobody would have picked Steve Young or Joe Montana after their rookie years either.

Tebow is definitely the top guy to pick - he just hasn't played enough yet.   Once he does - look out!

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#12 : June 01, 2011, 07:08:46 AM

Going only by rookie stats doesn't tell the whole story. Bradford came to camp as the #1 and started from day one. Freeman didn't get the reps in training camp and didn't come in until midseason. Going by rookie stats alone, where does that leave A. Rodgers? But, Rodgers has proven himself in later years.

Do they think Bradford is going to best Freeman's first full season?

JDog

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 01, 2011, 07:23:48 AM

He already did that as a rookie.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 01, 2011, 07:35:59 AM

He already did that as a rookie.

Nope, try again. He may have thrown for more yards but he also had waaayy more attempts than Freeman did. Also Freeman had a way better rating than Bradford did.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The NFL.com guys pick their QB to start a franchise with. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools