Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The top organizations in the NFL. Not a power ranking. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 02, 2011, 10:03:11 AM »

2011 NFL organization rankings

Adam Schein hosts the "Sirius Blitz" on Sirius NFL Radio from 11-3 ET. He also co-hosts "Loudmouths" on Sports Net New York every weeknight at 6 ET. He is a weekly columnist, files weekly video reports and makes NFL picks "video style" for FOXSports.com.

Jun 2, 2011
It is my favorite time of year. It is time once again for the annual NFL organization rankings on FOXSports.com.

I was once challenged by an NFL head coach to “crunch the numbers” on what makes a “great” organization. This is the third year we’ve ranked every team. The New England Patriots, ranked No. 1 in 2009 and 2010, have been knocked off of the top spot.

Remember, this is NOT a power ranking. We grade each team on six vital categories — owner, quarterback, head coach, front office, coaching staff and intangibles, which include facilities, fan support and public relations.

I was surprised by many of the results. And there are way too many "bad teams" in the NFL.

Enjoy the debate.

1. Green Bay Packers: 56
Owner: 9
Quarterback: 10
Coach: 8.5
Front office: 9.5
Coaching staff: 9
Intangibles: 10

The Super Bowl was vindication for general manager Ted Thompson. But truth be told, he never needed it. Thompson has the golden touch in assembling a young championship core with staying power. Mike McCarthy is a great coach. QB Aaron Rodgers took that major step up in class. CEO Mark Murphy is sharp and has the perfect demeanor and experience for this job. The Packers fans are amazing.

2. New Orleans Saints: 55.5
Quarterback: 9.5

Even during a work stoppage, the Saints have sold every ticket for next year. Owner Tom Benson has provided the club with stability and staying power in New Orleans. I never thought I would write that in 2004. Mickey Loomis is an aggressive, savvy general manager. Drew Brees is not only a great quarterback, but the ultimate team leader and representative in the community.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers: 55
Owner: 10
Quarterback: 8.5
Front office: 9

“Steelers Nation” factors heavily into the perfect score for intangibles as Pittsburgh seemingly plays 16 home games with its omnipresent fans. The Rooney family is outstanding. GM Kevin Colbert and his staff are smart and know how to pick players for their system.

4. New England Patriots: 54.5
Owner: 10
Coach: 10
Front office: 8
Coaching staff: 8
Intangibles: 8.5

The Patriots, no surprise, totaled a perfect 30 points in the categories of owner, head coach and quarterback. Bill Belichick was the only head coach to get a 10. Defections through the years in the front office and the coaching staff prevented total perfection and contributed to the fall from the top spot they held in 2009 and 2010.

5. Philadelphia Eagles: 53.5
Owner: 9.5
Quarterback: 8
Coach: 9
Intangibles: 9

Andy Reid, Joe Banner, Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie are excellent and united. Reid scored a coup when he hired Howard Mudd to coach the offensive line and Jim Washburn to coach the defensive line. The Eagles' public relations staff just gets it when it comes to the media, fans and players.

6. Indianapolis Colts: 51.5
Coach: 6
Front office: 10
Coaching staff: 6

What owner Jim Irsay has done in Indy, from the beautiful new stadium to the consistency of the franchise over the last 10 years, is remarkable. Bill Polian is the best general manager in football. Even without Tom Moore and Howard Mudd, John Teerlink helps the grade for the coaching staff. Jim Caldwell wins but surely doesn’t dazzle as a game coach. Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning.

7. New York Giants: 50
Coach: 7.5
Front office: 8.5
Coaching staff: 7

The Giants didn’t cut anyone’s pay during the lockout. The Giants treated their season ticket holders with respect during the work stoppage. Owner John Mara and company deserve a lot of credit.

8. Atlanta Falcons: 49.5
Quarterback: 8.5
Coach: 8
Coaching staff: 7.5
Intangibles: 7.5

Head coach Mike Smith, GM Thomas Dimitroff and QB Matt Ryan are the ideal men as head coach, general manager and quarterback to lead the Falcons.

9. Baltimore Ravens: 48
Quarterback: 7
Coaching staff: 5
Intangibles: 9

Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta head a brilliant front office that is seemingly always a few steps ahead. What coach John Harbaugh has accomplished in a short period of time is incredible. He never gets the credit he deserves. Steve Bisciotti is a great owner. Give him credit for changing his mind on cutting the pay of employees during the lockout. The Ravens' public relations department is excellent, both media and player friendly. The coaching staff has taken some hits.

10. New York Jets: 46.5
Owner: 8
Coaching staff: 8.5
Intangibles: 6

Coach Rex Ryan has successfully changed the culture with the Jets. The "same old Jets" are buried, replaced by Ryan's boastful guarantees. Mike Tannenbaum is an active and creative general manager who has built teams that have gone to the AFC title game in back-to-back years. QB Mark Sanchez, while still erratic at times, is a proven winner just two years into the league, with a whopping four playoff wins on the road. The facilities in Florham Park, N.J., are beautiful. The Jets' act of cutting salaries of football operations employees and imposing mandatory furloughs during the lockout is ugly.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: 41.5
Owner: 6
Quarterback: 6
Coaching staff: 8
Intangibles: 6

The Chiefs at 11? How about that? Look mom, I’m on TV! The Chiefs have four primetime games this year, showing that they are back in business. Scott Pioli is a great general manager. Todd Haley did a great job last year as head coach, but needs to learn not to be so aggressive on fourth down while in field-goal range. And with Charlie Weis out, it is going to be interesting to watch the Haley/Matt Cassel relationship.

12. Seattle Seahawks: 37.5
Owner: 7
Quarterback: 2
Front office: 7
Coaching staff: 6
Intangibles: 9.5

The facilities are state of the art. The home-field advantage with the “12th man” is significant. Coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider inherited a total mess. They were super-active last season, bringing in different combinations of players, leading to a street free-agent gem like Mike Williams. Hiring Tom Cable to coach the offensive line was a great move. Seattle, finally, has a good structure in place.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 37
Owner: 4
Coach: 7
Front office: 8
Coaching staff: 5
Intangibles: 5

One year ago, I bashed Tampa’s direction. The Bucs proved me wrong. Head coach Raheem Morris and GM Mark Dominik are good at what they do. I think young QB Josh Freeman could one day win a league MVP. He is that type of clutch player and leader. Tampa gets knocked down on owner and intangibles. Fans aren’t happy they once again lose a home game to a game in London. And there still is a lack of public trust in ownership.

For the entire list:  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-are-best-nfl-organization-in-2011-rankings-060111

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 02, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

10. New York Jets: 46.5QB Mark Sanchez is a proven winner just two years into the league, with a whopping four playoff wins on the road.

True that!

YReceiver14

Starter

« #2 : June 02, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »

10. New York Jets: 46.5QB Mark Sanchez is a proven winner just two years into the league, with a whopping four playoff wins on the road.

True that!

10. New York Jets: 46.5
QB Mark Sanchez, while still erratic at times, is a proven winner just two years into the league, with a whopping four playoff wins on the road.

I think young QB Josh Freeman could one day win a league MVP. He is that type of clutch player and leader.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

Danny Woodcock

Rookie

« #3 : June 03, 2011, 01:07:07 AM »

True that!

Mark Sanchez sucks! He is the reason why the Jets haven't been in the Super Bowl!!! He is holding them back!

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 03, 2011, 01:29:02 AM »

Most Steeler fans I talk to think Rooney is a cheap azz.

Danny Woodcock

Rookie

« #5 : June 03, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »

Most Steeler fans I talk to think Rooney is a cheap azz.

Really? I find that hard to believe.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 03, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

Owner: 4

OUCH!
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The top organizations in the NFL. Not a power ranking. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools