Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: RJS to get $18.7 million upgrade. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: June 08, 2011, 09:53:47 AM

Taxes to pay for $18.7 million Bucs' stadium upgrades

2010, CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF

The videoboards will be replaced with high-definition screens. Locker and press rooms will also get improvements.

By MIKE SALINERO | The Tampa Tribune
Published: June 08, 2011

Raymond James Stadium is getting revamped, more vivid videoboards two years from now and visitors to Hillsborough County will foot much of the bill.

The videoboard improvements, estimated to cost $7.7 million, will present high-definition game replays to fans beginning with the 2013 football season. The scoreboard gadgetry is just one facet of an $18.7 million overhaul planned for the stadium over the next two years.

"It's to the point where we have to make some major investments back into the building," said Eric Hart, executive director of the Tampa Sports Authority, which manages the stadium. "Over the next two years you'll be starting to see a major overhaul of everything."

The bill for the stadium upgrades will fall on Hillsborough County and Tampa because of a state law that requires the local governments to cover the sports authority's budget shortfalls. In the past, the county and city had to cover just operating shortfalls, or about $2 million and $1 million per year respectively.

Next year, however, the shortfall will be much larger because of long-deferred maintenance at the 13-year-old stadium.

The county, which budgets in two-year cycles, plans to spend $6 million in fiscal year 2012 and $7.4 million the following year for the stadium upgrades. Tampa is budgeting $2.55 million in next year's budget.

The county will borrow the money for its portion and use the fourth cent of the 5-cent Tourist Development Tax to pay back the short-term loan. The fourth cent is dedicated to bond payments and capital needs at the football stadium and adjacent Steinbrenner Field.

The first three cents of the tax go to Tampa Bay & Co., formerly the convention and visitors bureau, and other tourist, cultural and sports organizations that compete for the money. The fifth cent goes toward bond payments on the St. Pete Times Forum.

County Administrator Mike Merrill said his budget staff has been working with the sports authority to make sure only necessary maintenance is scheduled because of county budget woes.

"I believe these numbers are a result of them scrubbing (the maintenance projects) to make sure we only dealing with absolutely critical needs," Merrill said.

Engineering and architectural plans called for the video screens to be replaced four years ago, said Hart, the sports authority director. The video technology, dating to the stadium's opening in 1998, is rapidly becoming dated, added Mickey Farrell, the authority's director of operations.

"We're doing everything we can to keep the picture as good as possible," Farrell said, "but the technology is not going to be supported much longer, so this is a project that needs to get done."

In addition to the videoboard updates, locker and press room floors at the stadium will be recarpeted, refrigerators and icemakers in luxury suites will be replaced and the sound system will be updated.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 08, 2011, 10:07:38 AM

There going to need those upgrades if they want to get a Super Bowl in the future.  Jerry's place makes RJS look like a college stadium.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 08, 2011, 10:11:40 AM

Jeez didn't the team save at least that much money in player salaries last season?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 08, 2011, 10:24:48 AM

I think it has more to do with the laws of the upgrades than anything. Also dont think the Glazers have to do anything about it. Its all part of the deal in getting a new stadium built in your city. At least this is what I think it is.

player101

Starter
#4 : June 08, 2011, 10:42:48 AM

I love the taxpayers! Oh **CENSORED** that is me. WTF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 08, 2011, 10:50:24 AM

They definitely need to do something to compete with HD television...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

BuccaNova

Starter
#6 : June 08, 2011, 11:10:24 AM

There going to need those upgrades if they want to get a Super Bowl in the future.  Jerry's place makes RJS look like a college stadium.

Maybe. I love RJS, though. I haven't been to every stadium, but it's my favorite of the ones I have been to.  And --though I've never been to a SB in Tampa (or anywhere else, come to think of it)-- it always seems like Tampa is a smooth event as far as the league tending to and catering to the masses that arrive. Jerry has a long way to go to make the Super Bowl gameday experience equal the hi-tech stadium experience they have.  How many SBs have been in RJS?  Were there any of the insane organizational screwups that the Jerry Bowl featured so prominently?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 08, 2011, 11:47:21 AM

$18.7 million upgrades from taxes... blacks out the fans a few months later. Sounds right.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#8 : June 08, 2011, 11:55:53 AM

damn place needs a retractable roof, if anything.....

Hate

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 08, 2011, 12:08:52 PM

damn place needs a retractable roof, if anything.....

No way!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#10 : June 08, 2011, 01:13:46 PM

for the poor people.....I'm comfortable when I have a/c to go to in the club seats

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#11 : June 08, 2011, 01:42:09 PM

Geez, sure is tough being an owner with all that financial risk they assume.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#12 : June 08, 2011, 01:53:37 PM

the smart owners (and I believe they are) mitigate financial risk by putting it on their revenue sources.   Just good business (and that's non-emotional.)

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#13 : June 08, 2011, 02:50:03 PM

for the poor people.....I'm comfortable when I have a/c to go to in the club seats

LMAO!!!

Im friends with the suites manager and she get me in a suite a couple times a year. Absolutely love it.....and i dont have to pay the cost. win/win.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#14 : June 08, 2011, 03:46:07 PM

$18.7 million upgrades from taxes... blacks out the fans a few months later. Sounds right.

Yep.

And bottom of the NFL in payroll.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: RJS to get $18.7 million upgrade. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools