Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: There is one guy that called everything that is happening in todays economy. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #15 : June 17, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »

would like to hear from other posters on whether they believe that our country has been in a depression for the last ten years as OP states.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : June 17, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »

so i've figured out your game plan... you skirt around real issues, pick out a sentence that may be questionable, and disregard every fact brought to you.

Obviously we haven't been in a depression for 10 years hahahahahahahaa

but the depression is here and will be here for 10 or more years if we don't have policy change.

You watch, the next few years will be bad, hyper inflation is starting.

Morgan, please address the points i have put forward, not a sentence in which it could be "stretched"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #17 : June 17, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »

I've already posted several times that I disagree with your post that we're going to have another ten years of depression. I don't know why I should continue - obviously you've discovered your mistake/exaggeration.  One last note, please don't waste your vote on a candidate that doesn't have a chance. You'd be better off saving for someone that can at least compete for the office.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #18 : June 17, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »

I've already posted several times that I disagree with your post that we're going to have another ten years of depression. I don't know why I should continue - ...
but you have... without knowing why... how odd.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : June 17, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »

I've already posted several times that I disagree with your post that we're going to have another ten years of depression. I don't know why I should continue - obviously you've discovered your mistake/exaggeration.  One last note, please don't waste your vote on a candidate that doesn't have a chance. You'd be better off saving for someone that can at least compete for the office.

why do u disagree? you have no basis except for being a liberal

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #20 : June 17, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »

would like to hear from other posters on whether they believe that our country has been in a depression for the last ten years as OP states.

An argument can be made.

Another definition of depression includes two general rules: (1) a decline in real GDP exceeding 10%, or (2) a recession lasting 2 or more years. So has it lasted 2 or more years= YES. Has GDP declined by +10%? That depends on which measure of GDP you use, if you go by nominal GDP that has only declined by 4.6% but if you adjust GDP for Purchasing Power Parity then from peak to present, it is down 19.3%, therefore Depression.

Next question is has it lasted ten years? That is debatable but GDP adjusted for PPP has been declining on average since 1st Q 2001 but there where a few quarters of uptick scattered in-between.

Personally, I'd put the start date in 2007 and call it a 4 years and counting depression.
« : June 17, 2011, 07:35:58 PM John Galt? »

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #21 : June 17, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »

How close is today's economy to the Great Depression?

By Louis Jacobson
Published on Friday, June 17th, 2011 at 10:11 a.m.

Times are bad. But does today’s economy approach the depths of the Great Depression?

Recently, a number of Republicans have invoked the Great Depression when criticizing the economic record of the Obama Administration. PolitiFact national has checked two of them.

• During a June 12, 2011, face-off between party chairs on NBC’s Meet the Press, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus compared the unemployment situation since the start of the past recent recession to what the nation faced during the Great Depression.

During a joint interview with his Democratic counterpart, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, Priebus said that we "have unemployment that rivals the Great Depression." Later, he added, "we have lost as--two and a half million jobs since Barack Obama's been president. And of that two and a half million jobs, almost 45 percent of those people have been out of work for six months. That number, that number rivals the Great Depression."

Comparisons are complicated by a change in how employment statistics were calculated, but experts we spoke to said that comparisons are appropriate as long as the differences are disclosed.

Today’s unemployment rate is 9.1 percent. From 1931 to 1941, the annual rates ranged from 9.9 percent to 24.9 percent. So peak unemployment since the start of the most recent recession, as bad as it has been, remains well under half of the peak it reached during the Great Depression.

Meanwhile, we also looked at Priebus’ claim that "almost 45 percent of (the unemployed) have been out of work for six months," a number that "rivals the Great Depression"?

Priebus was correct on the current figure. But his comparison had a problem: We couldn’t find any equivalent data from the Great Depression, and the economists we spoke to weren’t aware of any either. It turns out the claim came from an inaccurate CBS News story.

Since neither claim held up, we rated the statement False.

• During a visit to the Buddy Brew Coffee shop in Tampa on June 16, 2011, presidential candidate Mitt Romney said, "It's been a failure in the last several years to get America back on track again. It's taken longer to get Americans back to work than it took during the Great Depression. This is the slowest job recovery since Hoover. It breaks my heart. I want to get us back to work." (By Hoover, Romney meant President Herbert Hoover, who held office from 1929 to early 1933 and presided over the early years of the Great Depression.)

We looked at two statistics -- the number of jobs created or and the fall of the unemployment rate -- during the first 23 months after a given recession officially ended, since that’s how long it's been since the most recent recession ended.

For job creation, we compared the number of employed Americans at the start of the recovery to the number employed at the end of the 23-month period. Then we calculated the percentage increase (or decrease) in employment over that time period.

By this measure, there were two recoveries weaker than the one we’re currently experiencing -- the one from November 2001 to October 2003, under President George W. Bush, and the one from July 1980 to June 1982, under presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. The George W. Bush recovery is especially striking, since the economy actually lost more than 700,000 jobs during the first 23 months after the recession ended.

For the unemployment rate, we compared the rate at the end of the 23-month period to what it was at the beginning of the period.

By this measure, too, the current recovery is not the weakest. Three recoveries actually saw an increase in the unemployment rate after 23 months (ones under George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush and Carter/Reagan), while another (under President Richard Nixon) produced a smaller decline in the unemployment rate than the current recovery has. (Because a budding recovery can entice discouraged workers back into the labor force, it’s not unusual for the unemployment rate to rise in a recovery.)

So, depending on the measure you use, there are either two or four recoveries since Hoover that were weaker than the current one. So we rated the claim False.

None of this is to suggest that the current recovery is robust. It isn’t. In fact, most economists agree that this is the worst economy since the Great Depression. But making direct comparisons with the nation’s worst economic disaster is a tricky business. In both of these cases, we concluded that the comparisons went too far.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/jun/17/how-close-todays-economy-great-depression/

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #22 : June 18, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »

Morgan, I read your article, and it is bantering between parties about whether this is a depression or a great depression...

So Morgan? Your article tried to occupy my time do get right vs left banter going. This isn't about right vs left, this is right vs wrong. The article says we are in a depression.

You still have no quality arguments as to why u hold the position of establishment? Haven't u noticed us going backwards and these policies not working?

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #23 : June 18, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »

I want to hear from the other posters on here... Does it seem like Morgan doesn't read or listen to facts, and just listens to establishment media hyperbole? Is it me or has many facts been brought to his attention, and he ignores them all. I bet he didn't watch one video I've posted. That's why he doesn't understand. Morgan I sure hope that you don't vote

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 19, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »

doesnt anyone ever wonder why these politicians spend so much on their campaigns for a job that pays less than a million for a full term? Because they love the country? yeah right. Maybe its because they stand to make even more money off of lobbyist and behind the scenes deals that benefit the big companies backing them? The government is now ran by big business and is no longer by the people or for the people.

Now we continually see the increasing size of government, and sadly, voting more of the same con men into congress is the peoples only feasible solution?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #25 : June 19, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »

doesnt anyone ever wonder why these politicians spend so much on their campaigns for a job that pays less than a million for a full term? Because they love the country? yeah right. Maybe its because they stand to make even more money off of lobbyist and behind the scenes deals that benefit the big companies backing them? The government is now ran by big business and is no longer by the people or for the people.

Now we continually see the increasing size of government, and sadly, voting more of the same con men into congress is the peoples only feasible solution?

I wonder about it all the time - Yes they love their country, they're also doing it to be a part of history (ego). I really doubt that our president gets anything from lobbyists during their term in office as you say.  There's too many eyes watching our gov't officials to get away with bribery at that level.

But like Bill Clinton, the money comes after the presidency for book deals, speeches, etc.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #26 : June 19, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »

its not just the president running things though. Congress and the House are the biggest part of our government and are the checks and balances to the president. Your ignorant to believe these guys dont get anything. Why would Bush employ so many companies tied to his families operations? because they were the most qualified?  Sadly, it seems like the House(and a very small number at that) are the only ones that seem to show any true interest in whats best for the people.

If you honestly think these poeple spend millions of their money(and money of big business funding their campaigns) to, at best make a few hundred thousand a year for ego and the love of the country, your ignorant beyond any reason I could offer. Im not a conspiracy theorists, the numbers are out there for people to find. Even Michael Moore(whom I dont care for) has gone as far as to dig up the nubers lobbyist have donated and many of the people in Congress have recieved more than double of what our country pays them. When something comes up for a vote, who are they going to choose? the people who pay them little? or the lobbyist who pay them a lot?

Lobbyist have helped destroy what our government was intended to be and its a mere shadow of the ethics and purpose it was founded on. Whats our choice as the people to change it? Vote for the next guy to do the same thing. I love this country and Im glad so many people have fought to keep it a free country, but I fear all that fighting is becoming vain. Until the people can actually take back the government, cut its size, its spending and put the voice of the people ahead of these million dollar transactions for big business, we will continue to fall as a country and a civilization.

They divide us by creating these hard lines of conservative/liberal, democrat/republican when in fact, most of them have the same intent.....making money. If they can keep us bickering over liberal this, conservative that, the people will never look at whats actually going on and stand together to get this political system back to what it was. It used to be that news companies held politicians accountable. Now they run propoganda in favor of their side political market because they stand to make money if the right guys get in. Thats why Fox has a striclty republican/conservative agenda and MSNBC has a strictly democratic/liberal agenda. Instead of reconizing these things and acknowledging them, we argue over stupid crap while they laugh all the way to the bank.

At some point people need to step out of party lines and look at the bigger picture before our country is in shambles. Thats why I hate talking politics for the most.....most people talk about things irrelevant to actually fixing the real problems.
« : June 19, 2011, 03:56:08 PM tatmanfish »

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #27 : June 19, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »

Like some have said, he has NO CHANCE in an election-- not hip enough or cool.

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #28 : June 20, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »

This guy has more wisdom in his little finger than all of congress combined. The only guy I would vote for....
certainly not with the elites - which is why he'll never be elected

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #29 : June 21, 2011, 08:22:02 AM »

What do you all think about Gary Johnson? Isn't he a younger, hipper version of Ron Paul?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: There is one guy that called everything that is happening in todays economy. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools